Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 according to Footywire: #4 across the AFL for contested marks, #24 for tackles, #6 for hitouts per game.....and OK, #491 for disposal efficiency.

Can't remember where I saw it, But ROB is 1st across a lot of categories for AFL ruckmen in 2020. Contested marking being one and high up in hits to advantage but can't remember position. May have been 1. AA very soon.

I always thought ROB was good in the air but he really took that to another level this season. He's a running machine as well who shouldered a pretty heavy ruck burden this year.
Always had excellent acrobat and running power, his knock was his marking which he has greatly improved in the SANFL and seems to have improved his ruck tap in the centre bounce as well in the AFL as the season went on, I was very impress with how the managed Gawn and Grundy in consecutive weeks using different ruck strategy, a sign of a very quick learner.

Who would have thought ROB a Gold Jacket winner after his first few games and sprays at goal.

Not to mention I assume M Clarke must have historically been very highly rated on this board? From taking a rookie ruckman Sauce to becoming a top quartile ruckman for a good part of his 8 years here (very unlucky to miss 1-2 AA teams) to another rookie now a likely Gold Jacket winner.

Not to mention winning 2 of 3 flags with AFLW.

Clarkes quality up there with Nobles contribution building a flag quality squad twice (see his last 4 yearst at Lions - brilliant stuff) and am sure both guys have been widely recognised and celebrated on this forum

Who would have thought ROB a Gold Jacket winner after his first few games and sprays at goal.

Not to mention I assume M Clarke must have historically been very highly rated on this board? From taking a rookie ruckman Sauce to becoming a top quartile ruckman for a good part of his 8 years here (very unlucky to miss 1-2 AA teams) to another rookie now a likely Gold Jacket winner.

Clarkes quality up there with Nobles contribution building a flag quality squad twice (see his last 4 yearst at Lions - brilliant stuff) and am sure both guys have been widely recognised and celebrated on this forum
Yes Matt, we get it, you are a very good ruck coach, but it would have helped if you had taken more marks around the ground when you were playing.

Even in his first few games he showed a lot. People got blinded by his terrible kicking style. His follow up and work ethic were stand outs from debut.

Clarke only coached one of the AFLW flags. Bec Goddard coached the first one.

wait what, He wasn't head coach for our first womens premiership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Signed for 4 more years in March 2021

Guessing this is the pre-announcement

And confirmed 4 years.

Last edited:
A 4 year deal for someone who has only played 37 games?

And will be 29 at the end of the deal.

This isn’t a champagne and caviar moment people.

Bad deal. Should have gone 2 years, risked Free Agency and kept out options open.
Nah, if you're handing out long term deals these are the sorts of players you want to have them

Guys that won't be 30+ in the final couple of years

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Back