NFL Relocations and League Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

He was talking about expanding on an international scale and what makes sense.
sure, but his whole premise was that overseas relocations are logistically impossible and just forget the idea altogether....so he never concluded therefore that if the chargers are in truble and need to relicate then it should be a variety of possible US cities instead....like he never took his whole argument to the logical conclusion

sure, but his whole premise was that overseas relocations are logistically impossible and just forget the idea altogether....so he never concluded therefore that if the chargers are in truble and need to relicate then it should be a variety of possible US cities instead....like he never took his whole argument to the logical conclusion

He brought up Canada and Mexico as better alternatives to England.

i agree. but before canada ever gets serious, they should exhaust US cities first. St Louis, San Antonio, Oakland, Portland, San Diego to name a few, all merit a professional football team.

Instead of shifting teams across country let's just do a mass expansion at once and give every division an extra team. 😉

Instead of shifting teams across country let's just do a mass expansion at once and give every division an extra team. 😉
remember theres a dearth of talent. youve seen how shit the quality is outside if 53 man rosters x 32 teams. and a real big dearth of qb talent especially

remember theres a dearth of talent. youve seen how shit the quality is outside if 53 man rosters x 32 teams. and a real big dearth of qb talent especially

I was being a touch sarcastic mate, hence the 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly. There was some support in San Diego but it was still packed with away fans every week. The Chargers just don't have a solid fan base anywhere.

I agree that they would need extensive support, but I would expect the crowd numbers to be full. London fans will take the Chargers as their own if they moved there permanently.

Rubbish. The Raiders and Rams left the market in the 90s because they couldn't get a stadium. The Coliseum was decrepit and in a bad neighbourhood surrounded by gun violence. Not exactly the safest of places to take a family to a football game.

The LA market will always be a Raiders and Rams market. The Chargers have never belonged there and were only sent there to keep the Raiders out of LA, because Kroenke wanted the market to himself and through their financial modelling, had the Chargers sold out their PSLs, it would have been valuable for Kroenke to have the Chargers play in his stadium. But the Chargers are short a couple hundred million as it stands today, which is why Kroenke and a bunch of other NFL owners want the Chargers out of the LA market.

Easy solution to that is how the Raiders travelled to London this year. They played an east coast game the week prior (against Indy) and flew straight from Indy to London.

As for the Raiders regretting their move in the future, I'd bet big that they'll come out of the move as a major success story. Less than 800 PSLs remain in the new stadium, and they've had to change the design of the stadium mid-build to increase the number of suites such has been the demand for them. They've also been on the ground already having established an office in Vegas and are doing plenty of community events to generate support in the region. Given the close proximity to LA as well, fan support is not going to be an issue. And then when you consider that they have a team on the rise, 2 first round picks next year along with 80ish million in cap space which is on top of not paying state tax in Nevada for half of their pay cheques.

It's actually the other way around. The Chargers are a couple hundred million short so Kroenke wants to get rid of them.

St. Louis is not a bad idea. San Antonio would also be interesting because they do have aspirations for a team, but I can't imagine Jerry Jones wanting an additional team in Texas. Oakland will never get a another football team in the NFL, ever.
The rams struggle to fill the coliseum despite being a contender for several years now, I get that it's in a bad area but I honestly don't see this changing even when their new stadium is built. The raiders would draw well in the market if they happen to be really good but would be less than stellar otherwise. LA is simply a fickle market.

You're right about the Chargers in San Diego though, most weeks it was exactly like it is now in Carson (most of the crowd being away fans). Ideally I'd move them somewhere like Portland as has been suggested.

San Diego or San Antonio should get a team before another Chicago one

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

San Antonio won't be getting a market as long as McNair and Jones have a say in Texas.

San Diego unlikely given its close proximity to LA. I think if SD were to get another team it would be an attempt to bring back the Chargers. A new team in SD could literally kill the Chargers franchise.

Expansion won't happen for a while overseas because of covid, but by the end of the decade I could see a team in London. There's clear market demand for it and I'm sure games could be scheduled in such a way to minimise the amount of flying involved.

The McCaskey's would be going nuts at the thought of another team in Chicago, their stupidity and cheapness would no longer be tolerated by the locals like it is now being the only team town.

San Antonio won't be getting a market as long as McNair and Jones have a say in Texas.

San Diego unlikely given its close proximity to LA. I think if SD were to get another team it would be an attempt to bring back the Chargers. A new team in SD could literally kill the Chargers franchise.

Expansion won't happen for a while overseas because of covid, but by the end of the decade I could see a team in London. There's clear market demand for it and I'm sure games could be scheduled in such a way to minimise the amount of flying involved.
Isn't an issue with an international team getting players to want to live there and the different tax situation?

Isn't an issue with an international team getting players to want to live there and the different tax situation?

They're two obstacles but I wouldn't call the issues insurmountable by any means.

If players can live in the wilderness of Buffalo, NY, convincing them to move to London won't be that difficult. No language barrier and the city itself is one of the best in the world.

The tax situation is bit complex but it wouldn't be much different to someone who works in multiple countries. The bigger issue to me is the 7 hour flight between the east coast of USA, and London. Flying that much every 2nd week simply isn't practical, so they'd need to have 2-3 weeks at a time that they play in America before having blocks of home games back in London. Then you need to find a place where they can be based when they're in America. That's the biggest difficulty above all else imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Relocations and League Expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back