Remove the toss

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Ricky Ponting and Michael holding think removing the toss in test cricket and giving the touring side the decision to bat or bowl will help test cricket and remove any chance of doctored wickets.

I cannot for the life of me think of a more stupid suggestion ever, yes it might remove wickets being prepared for the home side but all it will do is produce flat track highways the world over. Every test will be played on a batting paradise.
Fast bowlers over time will just stop being produced, batsman will plunder the bowling for 3-4 days with declarations everywhere and hoping the wicket will break up so a spinner can bowl you to victory.

What are your thoughts??

Maybe reduce the advantage of the toss by taking out the choice element - i.e. you win the toss = you bat first

I also don't mind the idea of having the toss in match #1 of the series, and then alternating for the rest of the matches.

Whether those things would stop favourable pitches being prepared for the home team I don't know...

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Cricket is all about adjusting to different conditions. Why should you get gifted the decision just for being the touring team? Ridiculous.

How strong is the correlation between winning the toss and winning the game?
In the last 10 years, it's 154-153 (109 draws) to the team that has won the toss.

161-146 to the team that bats first.

What is more concerning is the advantage the home team has. 188 - 105 (103 draws) in that period. 79% advantage to the home team and that gap is widening to 85% in the last 5 years (91 - 49) and 122% in the last 3 years (60-27). The overall advantage the home team has had for test cricket is 53% (857 - 558, 2 ties, 732 draws) which is closer to where it should be.

The win-loss ratio for the home team has increased in just about every decade for a century now. 11% in the 30's, 30% (40's), 35% (50's), 42% (60's), 53% (70's), 55% (80's), 77% (90's), 61% (00's) and 70% (10's) and it's starting to look like it's going to explode again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the last 10 years, it's 154-153 (109 draws) to the team that has won the toss.

161-146 to the team that bats first.

What is more concerning is the advantage the home team has. 188 - 105 (103 draws) in that period. 79% advantage to the home team and that gap is widening to 85% in the last 5 years (91 - 49) and 122% in the last 3 years (60-27). The overall advantage the home team has had for test cricket is 53% (857 - 558, 2 ties, 732 draws) which is closer to where it should be.

The win-loss ratio for the home team has increased in just about every decade for a century now. 11% in the 30's, 30% (40's), 35% (50's), 42% (60's), 53% (70's), 55% (80's), 77% (90's), 61% (00's) and 70% (10's) and it's starting to look like it's going to explode again.
I reckon this has more to do with lack of preparation rather than doctored pitches.

Take the 89 Ashes as an example. The first tour match started in late April yet the first test was in the second week of June. Even as late as 1997 Australia spent more than a month in the UK before the first test, playing a mix of full county games, those semi-serious one or two day games, and a three match ODI series.

This year they had barely been there a week.

A pitch is prepared, then you decide who bats first with the toss of a coin. Sometimes it's a lucky toss to win, other times not so lucky. That's cricket. If the curator prepares a pitch to suit the home team, I can't see where batting first or second will alter their chances of winning.

I agree with the others ... Ricky, think about what you've suggested, then get back to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove the toss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back