respect for geraghty

Remove this Banner Ad

Geraghty was exonerated because he was attacked from behind, pinned to the ground and raised his knee to protect himself. The prevailing view was that he did not strike with his knee.
As for the tackle, one can undestand why an Aussie player would execute a tackle as it comes instinctively to him. Irish players pull on the ground all the time because that is their natural game in the heat of battle. The ball has to picked in a certain way in GAA football, so a player knows if he is first there and can pull safely before the picking player has time. There are frequent frees for players pulling in this way, but very few injuries. The fact that you can go in head first in the IR game makes this potentially dangerous.

Likewise, I think now that Shane Ryan's knee into the back of the Aussie player as he dived low to catch the ball was the worst thing that an Irish player did. I was at the game and didn't appreciate it at the time. But given what little I know about rugby union it is classed as dangerous. I just can't say whether Shane Ryan would have an appreciation of that, not being used to tackling.
Back to the Geraghty tackle. I believe you have to look at each stage of the tackle and figure out what the intent of the player was. Confusion arises with how the IR rules differ to the AFL rules as far as the tackle is concerned. I believe the whole atmosphere was soured by Lindsay Gilbee's stupid comments during the week leading up to the second test. How could a professional sportsman be so undignified?

Now, Aussie players surrounding Irish players and fighting them before the throw up is nothing new. In 2004, after allowing Ciarán McDonald far too much space in the first test, the Aussies milled around him before the second test, sent one guy in to get a reaction from him and when he responded about six Aussies jumped on him. It is the singularly most stupid thing I have ever seen at a top class sporting event. There is no doubt in my mind the Aussies intended to do the same to Geraghty, but he didn't respond.
List the best Irish players from the first test and you'll see the intention. Kennelly says in the Irish papers today that he got two knees in the kidneys within 50 seconds of the start of the game. The other professional (rookie) on the Irish team, Colm Begley was off injured in the first quarter and returned to little effect late in the game. Kieran McGeeney was yellow carded. I saw the Aussie no. 15 in Seán Kavanagh's face for the entire six or seven minutes Graham Geraghty was being treated. Again the kind of thing we would tell a fifteen year old to cop on about and get on with the game.

Geraghty was the coup de grace. He dropped the ball so the tackle should not have been completed. He was slung to the ground which is not allowed in IR. The tackling player finished on top of him with his arm across his neck. Could he have fallen differently, or finished the tackle differently? I think the answer is in the overalll spirit and intention with which the game was played.

I think the IR series has been killed by Kevin Sheedy. After a hammering in 2004, the AFL brought him in and the games have been incredibly violent since. The violence has been there since Mick Lyons was taken from the field unconcious after two minutes of the first ever test in 1984, but it has been just about tolerable since 1998. There have been hard fought and close games in the past, but it is finished.

Disappointed GAA followers should consider the following. If the GAA put a team out against the Munster rugby union side with tackling allowed, someone would possibly be killed. Perhaps when Nicky Brennan is gone as GAA president (elected every three years), there might be an attempt at a revival, but that's all for now folks.

Geraghty was exonerated because he was attacked from behind, pinned to the ground and raised his knee to protect himself. The prevailing view was that he did not strike with his knee.
As for the tackle, one can undestand why an Aussie player would execute a tackle as it comes instinctively to him. Irish players pull on the ground all the time because that is their natural game in the heat of battle. The ball has to picked in a certain was in GAA football, so a player knows if he is first there and can pull safely before the picking player has time. There are frequent frees for players pulling in this way, but very few injuries. The fact that you can go in head first in the IR game makes this potentially dangerous.

Likewise, I think now that Shane Ryan's knee into the back of the Aussie player as he dived low to catch the ball was the worst thing that an Irish player did. I was at the game and didn't appreciate it at the time. But given what little I know about rugby union it is classed as dangerous. I just can't say whether Shane Ryan would have an appreciation of that, not being used to tackling.
Back to the Geraghty tackle. I believe you have to look at each stage of the tackle and figure out what the intent of the player was. Confusion arises with how the IR rules differ to the AFL rules as far as the tackle is concerned. I believe the whole atmosphere was soured by Lindsay Gilbee's stupid comments during the week leading up to the second test. How could a professional sportsman be so undignified?

Now, Aussie players surrounding Irish players and fighting them before the throw up is nothing new. In 2004, after allowing Ciarán McDonald far too much space in the first test, the Aussies milled around him before the second test, sent one guy in to get a reaction from him and when he responded about six Aussies jumped on him. It is the singularly most stupid thing I have ever seen at a top class sporting event. There is no doubt in my mind the Aussies intended to do the same to Geraghty, but he didn't respond.
List the best Irish players from the first teat and you'll see the intention. Kennelly says in the Irish papers today that he got two knees in the kidneys within 50 seconds of the start of the game. The other professional (rookie) on the Irish team, Colm Begley was off injured in the first quarter and returned to little effect late in the game. Kieran McGeeney was yellow carded. I saw the Aussie no. 15 in Seán Kavanagh's face for the entire six or seven minutes Graham Geraghty was being treated. Again the kind of thing we would tell a fifteen year old to cop on about and get on with the game.

Geraghty was the coup de grace. He dropped the ball so the tackle should not have been completed. He was slung to the ground which is not allowed in IR. The tackling player finished on top of him with his arm across his neck. Could he have fallen differently, or finished the tackle differently? I think the answer is in the overalll spirit and intention with which the game was played.

I think the IR series has been killed by Kevin Sheedy. After a hammering in 2004, the AFL brought him in and the games have been incredibly violent since. The violence has been there since Mick Lyons was taken from the field unconcious after two minutes of the first ever test in 1984, but it has been just about tolerable since 1998. There have been hard fought and close games in the past, but it is finished.

Disappointed GAA followers should consider the following. If the GAA put a team out against the Munster rugby union side with tackling allowed, someone would possibly be killed. Perhaps when Nicky Brennan is gone as GAA president (elected every three years), there might be an attempt at a revival, but that's all for now folks.

Do the Irish women play IR because we might get a braver effort from them than the blokes? The reason Geraghty hasn't said anything is because he has been made to look like a goose. You couldn't get two guys in the AFL who would be less feared than Gilbee and Pearce. And the reason Gilbee wrestled him in the first place was retaliation because Geraghty clipped him with an elbow after he had disposed of the ball. The GAA will forever look like cowards if they throw the towel in.

Do the Irish women play IR because we might get a braver effort from them than the blokes? The reason Geraghty hasn't said anything is because he has been made to look like a goose. You couldn't get two guys in the AFL who would be less feared than Gilbee and Pearce. And the reason Gilbee wrestled him in the first place was retaliation because Geraghty clipped him with an elbow after he had disposed of the ball. The GAA will forever look like cowards if they throw the towel in.
The irish girls beat our girls by 115 points

very true. Ive never seen Lindsay complain like that, it was rather odd. Maybe the long trip to ireland and the loss had got on his nerves

Maybe someone got in his ear and told him that the series needed a bit of a spark, he provided it.

And it seems as though Gerahty is the only Irishman smart enough to realise that if you start a fight, you don't get to whinge when you lose it.

... the reason Gilbee wrestled him in the first place was retaliation because Geraghty clipped him with an elbow after he had disposed of the ball...

The vision is a bit unclear. Geraghty certainly made contact with Gilbee, either an attempted tackle abandoned because Gilbee slapped the ball on rather than taking possession or some sort of a clip he ran past him. I didn't think was an elbow, though. Whatever, that's the sort of stuff that happens to players all the time. They get jostled or bumped by someone running past them. Gilbee does it himself. Gilbee had to make up a good 15 metres or more, his retaliation wasn't in the heat of battle, it was considered and deliberate. If he'd just jostled Geraghty as he jogged past, that'd make sense but to go over the top the way he did was asking for trouble. He really should have been yellow carded. It a mystery why he did it because he doesn't do any of that stuff in club footy.

The vision is a bit unclear. Geraghty certainly made contact with Gilbee, either an attempted tackle abandoned because Gilbee slapped the ball on rather than taking possession or some sort of a clip he ran past him. I didn't think was an elbow, though. Whatever, that's the sort of stuff that happens to players all the time. They get jostled or bumped by someone running past them. Gilbee does it himself. Gilbee had to make up a good 15 metres or more, his retaliation wasn't in the heat of battle, it was considered and deliberate. If he'd just jostled Geraghty as he jogged past, that'd make sense but to go over the top the way he did was asking for trouble. He really should have been yellow carded. It a mystery why he did it because he doesn't do any of that stuff in club footy.

you are just an irish excuse making nuffy....cheap shots will most always be retaliated against ...good on Gilbee for not allowing the sniper get away with it

When does the tribunal make a decision on any suspensions that may arise from this match?

It is important for them to be impartial and ignore any threats to cancel the series.

When does the tribunal make a decision on any suspensions that may arise from this match?

It is important for them to be impartial and ignore any threats to cancel the series.

The tribunal is irrelevant because the series will not continue. It's a dead duck and would lack all credibility if it continued. If Ireland became competitive again the Australians would be saying that they are being prevented from playing the way they want to. It would be a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The tribunal is irrelevant because the series will not continue. It's a dead duck and would lack all credibility if it continued. If Ireland became competitive again the Australians would be saying that they are being prevented from playing the way they want to. It would be a joke.

It might shed some perspective on all the allegations of thuggery.

It might shed some perspective on all the allegations of thuggery.

A number of threads here have discussed cultural and interpretative differences between the two codes which I think make it impossible to continue. I stand to be corrected but, up to now at least, most Irish people would have thought that they take their cultural pointers from more than one sport. I think the concept of the 'bump' for example is alien to all other sports as it is a late and dangerous tackle. Even more so when you are not expecting it as GAA players would not.

Another incident that may seem innocuous to the Aussies, but I find telling is the one where Jason ackermanis deliberately baited Peter Canavan a number of years ago and got them both sent off and banned. The Aussies have always targetted the best Irish players like this. More overtly they deliberately attacked Ciarán MacDonald in the second game of 2004 before the hooter. The MacDonald incident was shameful, but the Ackermanis one makes my blood boil to this day, in particular because Canavan got the same punishment as Ackermanis.

Everyone behaved themselves at the first test to the extent that the Aussies were neutered. There was such bad blood by the beginning of the second that what happened was almost inevitable. There is no doubt in my mind the Irish were primed for it and reacted instantly. I still say though that the Aussies set the agenda.

It's a pity though that the Irish have played so poorly in the last two years, but the Aussies know that the Irish capitulated in the face of the physical pressure. That is why the physical quotient was upped between the first and second tests. They performed quite well in the opening of the second test in 2005 and this (in the Irish interpretation) is why the Aussies responded violently. There is no doubt in the last game that with many of their best players sidelined and with players shell shocked at Geraghty's injury, Irish players fluffed easy kicks, panicked under pressure and kicked some terrible wides (behinds) when they made chances in the second half. In addition, their coach had thrown in the towel at quarter time for God's sake. Contrast that with 2004 when there was little physical pressure from Australia (for whatever reason) and Ireland won easily.

As the game has developed and the codes gotten to know each other better, these 'cultural' difference have been exposed. The gap is now too wide. There is too much bad blood. Let's remember some great games between 1998 and 2004 and forget about it for a while.

It's a pity though that the Irish have played so poorly in the last two years, but the Aussies know that the Irish capitulated in the face of the physical pressure. That is why the physical quotient was upped between the first and second tests. They performed quite well in the opening of the second test in 2005 and this (in the Irish interpretation) is why the Aussies responded violently. There is no doubt in the last game that with many of their best players sidelined and with players shell shocked at Geraghty's injury, Irish players fluffed easy kicks, panicked under pressure and kicked some terrible wides (behinds) when they made chances in the second half. In addition, their coach had thrown in the towel at quarter time for God's sake. Contrast that with 2004 when there was little physical pressure from Australia (for whatever reason) and Ireland won easily.

The reason why we have been convincing winners over the last two years is because we have started to pick sides that are tailor made for the hybrid game.

The idea that we have resorted to "violence" since we starting picking smaller, quicker players doesn't make much sense to me.

The reason why we have been convincing winners over the last two years is because we have started to pick sides that are tailor made for the hybrid game.

The idea that we have resorted to "violence" since we starting picking smaller, quicker players doesn't make much sense to me.

The sides we used to pick, which contained some mountains of men (ie. ruckmen and big forwards) were intended to intimidate and rough up the Irish. The teams for the past two years have been hand picked for their suitability to a fast running game.

Who knew that all it would have taken would be a midget like Danyle to make the Irish cry!

A number of threads here have discussed cultural and interpretative differences between the two codes which I think make it impossible to continue. I stand to be corrected but, up to now at least, most Irish people would have thought that they take their cultural pointers from more than one sport. I think the concept of the 'bump' for example is alien to all other sports as it is a late and dangerous tackle. Even more so when you are not expecting it as GAA players would not.

Another incident that may seem innocuous to the Aussies, but I find telling is the one where Jason ackermanis deliberately baited Peter Canavan a number of years ago and got them both sent off and banned. The Aussies have always targetted the best Irish players like this. More overtly they deliberately attacked Ciarán MacDonald in the second game of 2004 before the hooter. The MacDonald incident was shameful, but the Ackermanis one makes my blood boil to this day, in particular because Canavan got the same punishment as Ackermanis.

Everyone behaved themselves at the first test to the extent that the Aussies were neutered. There was such bad blood by the beginning of the second that what happened was almost inevitable. There is no doubt in my mind the Irish were primed for it and reacted instantly. I still say though that the Aussies set the agenda.

As the game has developed and the codes gotten to know each other better, these 'cultural' difference have been exposed. The gap is now too wide. There is too much bad blood. Let's remember some great games between 1998 and 2004 and forget about it for a while.

Crybaby.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

respect for geraghty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back