Rice

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the world's most eaten staple dishes.

Growing up, it was mainly just white rice on the table. When I got older, I sought a healthier alternative so switched over to brown rice.

I shopped away from the average supermarket and into the Asian grocery mart. This is when I discovered Thai red cargo rice, a long-grain rice.

Only the husks of the rice grains are removed during the milling process, retaining all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals intact in the bran layer and in the germ.

It's much healthier for you than white rice varieties and IMO tastes far better than brown rice. It's well-balanced and I highly recommend it.

It usually sells for $6.00 per kilo.

I much prefer the taste of brown rice to white. I really don't see what people like about white rice. So bland.

Amused at the white rice being compared to white bread
Very OZZIE :D
I love rice and it can be a great source of complex carbs

There isn't much difference nutritionally in regards to white bread and white rice, both don't bring much to the table. If you eat too much of fairly high GI foods, your blood sugar level will be boiling over.

This is fairly well known these days, most people have probably got it by absorption - I arborio those who don't. Grab guys off the street, any old Baz and Marty, and they will tell you this - their brains aren't fried. They don't want to get too chubby - they won't be able to attract Jasmine.

Anyway, it's a bit surprising how steamed up some people are getting over people's preferences about rice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amused at the white rice being compared to white bread
Very OZZIE :D
I love rice and it can be a great source of complex carbs

What's "OZZIE" about it? I'm comparing the nutritional benefits.

They are both shit, nutritionally.

Special fried rice is the bomb, home-made particularly. Love the singapore noodles as well, as well as lemon chicken, sweet 'n' sour pork, etc etc haha.

Yeah I guess I like most Asian, especially Chinese- food. ;)

Pure-bred Aussie here too, how's that one for yas? :thumbsu:

One of the world's most eaten staple dishes.

Growing up, it was mainly just white rice on the table. When I got older, I sought a healthier alternative so switched over to brown rice.

I shopped away from the average supermarket and into the Asian grocery mart. This is when I discovered Thai red cargo rice, a long-grain rice.

It's much healthier for you than white rice varieties and IMO tastes far better than brown rice. It's well-balanced and I highly recommend it.

It usually sells for $6.00 per kilo.

Thanks for the tip on red cargo rice. I will try it. I use brown rice rather than white rice but i'm not a big fan of it. I try and maintain a low GI diet so am always looking for new healthy alternatives for carbs.

Special fried rice is the bomb, home-made particularly. Love the singapore noodles as well, as well as lemon chicken, sweet 'n' sour pork, etc etc haha.

Yeah I guess I like most Asian, especially Chinese- food. ;)

Pure-bred Aussie here too, how's that one for yas? :thumbsu:

Pretty standard I would have thought. Asian food is fantastic so it's not surprising lots of "Aussies" like it.

Thanks for the tip on red cargo rice. I will try it.

Sometimes, the rice is marketed as "wild brown rice" but appears nothing like the usual brown rice varieties.

It looks like this:

red-rice-2-sml.jpg

Sometimes, the rice is marketed as "wild brown rice" but appears nothing like the usual brown rice varieties.

It looks like this:

red-rice-2-sml.jpg

Pointless fact: Here in Thailand its mainly used to feed prisoners ....

Thais like their rice white ... Jasmine rice is the main product ....

Thailand is the worlds largest exporter of rice so I guess they influence the rice consumed around the place ...

Thailand is the worlds largest exporter of rice so I guess they influence the rice consumed around the place ...

This sentence makes me chuckle as it is how Bruce introduced the Thai Olympic team in 2000 during the opening ceremony.

'Germany, hosts of 2 Olympics, one of the largest teams here'
'Kenya, known for their long distance runners'
Etc.

'Thailand....... they're the World's biggest exporter of rice'. :D

This sentence makes me chuckle as it is how Bruce introduced the Thai Olympic team in 2000 during the opening ceremony.

'Germany, hosts of 2 Olympics, one of the largest teams here'
'Kenya, known for their long distance runners'
Etc.

'Thailand....... they're the World's biggest exporter of rice'. :D

:D

Yes, their sporting excellence is limited. Although if they ever introduce (sepak) takraw (kick volleyball) into the Olympics they'll be a chance. Brutally difficult sport to play IMO ....

Good that he evidently did some research on the country, but rice production? *facepalm* They actually had a reigning gold medalist (boxing) going into the games, so he didn't even have to pump up the tyres of some relatively unknown athlete who is an outside chance in a rarely televised event - otherwise known as the method of introducing the Australian Winter Olympic team... :D

Anyhoo, rice. Yeah, rice is awesome. Shouldn't be grown here, but is pretty tasty.

I like rice. Favorite way to do it is to make a risotto. Time consuming but worth the effort.

If five minutes ago someone would have asked me if there's anyone on the planet who is ideologically opposed to rice, I would have said, "With over six billion people it's statistically likely, but we'll never know."

Strange how some things are just the click of a thread away from discovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back