Richard Tambling

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you Richie supporters see that we don't.

I'm not trying to be smart, I can't see anything redeeming about him. I can't see him in the best 22 and i'd have had him on the trade table last year.

To say there is nothing redeeming about him is a stupid statement that indicates you either don't really watch or you really do have a personal vendetta against him. This doesn't mean I don't understand where the 'haters' get their ammunition, because some things he does on the field are very sub par.

I don't like everything about the way he plays football, he can seem lazy and not make the most of his natural skills along with the inconsistency. BUT he has skills, a very good pair of hands, pace (which needs to be used more) and he can do the tackle and other hard stuff - but very inconsistently. Apart from the inconsistency bit, I call these redeeming qualities. By the same token, we can't give him a free ride this year - I hope we don't anyway - but RT is not the disgraceful footballer that some are making him out to be.

I reckon if he hadn't fluffed that marking contest last night we wouldn't be having all these slanging matches, there would be a few of the usual rumblings but not the full blown Royal Commission that seems to be taking place. Every footballer has made that mistake at some time or another ... move on everyone :thumbsdown:

I just reckon everyone should chill out until we have played at least a few premiership matches before the pitchforks and flaming torches are pulled out.

To say there is nothing redeeming about him is a stupid statement that indicates you either don't really watch or you really do have a personal vendetta against him. This doesn't mean I don't understand where the 'haters' get their ammunition, because some things he does on the field are very sub par.

I don't like everything about the way he plays football, he can seem lazy and not make the most of his natural skills along with the inconsistency. BUT he has skills, a very good pair of hands, pace (which needs to be used more) and he can do the tackle and other hard stuff - but very inconsistently. Apart from the inconsistency bit, I call these redeeming qualities. By the same token, we can't give him a free ride this year - I hope we don't anyway - but RT is not the disgraceful footballer that some are making him out to be.

I reckon if he hadn't fluffed that marking contest last night we wouldn't be having all these slanging matches, there would be a few of the usual rumblings but not the full blown Royal Commission that seems to be taking place. Every footballer has made that mistake at some time or another ... move on everyone :thumbsdown:

I just reckon everyone should chill out until we have played at least a few premiership matches before the pitchforks and flaming torches are pulled out.

to put it bluntly dude. Bling is a poor mans Michael Mitchell. The problem is that most detrcators want to see magic that is usually aligned to the indegenous players, ala the riolis, longs etc. Bling aint got that gift, just like Mitch didnt. ;)

Last year around this time, he was clearly our B.O.G vs Geelong. The anti-Tambling brigade used the "it's the preseason, nothing can be read into it" excuse. This time, he plays a poor match and the same crew rubbish those using the "it's the preseason" excuse. Make ya mind up.
Wasn't our best, wasn't our worst. He had the 3rd highest mark tally for the night, with 8, yet people complain he missed one mark. I don't have a clue what this mark is, because I didn't get the great Robert Walls' TV insight, having been at the game myself. I remember Deliberate, in his famous Robert Klomp Smoke/Mirrors thread, saying the same thing about the Brisbane game; Robert Walls knows nothing, go watch the game yourself and you'll see what he meant. This time it's reversed. You could make a case for him being in our best players even. Let's face it; pre-season form means nothing.

I think that most of the criticism pointed at Tambling is very well justified and he just doesn't produce enough. He has talent that is without question but it is very rarely seen and only in glimpses, i.e 5 minute bursts than not seen again. This is really make or break this season for him and the Tigers wouldnt be critiscised if they part ways with him after another 1 more lack luster year. Sometimes you just have to cut a man loose like we did with Livingstone and it happens all the time. :)

Geez, bit harsh from alot of Tiges supporters in this thread. I thought he wasnt that bad at all, obviously lacking a bit of confidence and doesnt back himself enough but that'll come over time hopefully, it did with Wells

Seriously, is this kid for real?????

Harden the **** up Richard - Have some bloody belief in your ability for once!:mad:

If you'd been at the game, you'd have seen the ball went about four feet over his head.

Apart from one kick he also sent over a team-mates head - almost an exact replica of the one he copped himself - he had a good game. Ran hard, tackled hard, and used the ball far better than 90% of others in Y&B.

It's funny how the same people supporting Tambling and standing up for his shirk out are the same ones that come on here and bag the crap out of Sugar after he puts his body on the line week in week out regardless of the competetion.

I'll put my hand up on that...thank you very much.
And what's more than funny...actually it very, very sad, is that guys like you who see Sugar and Tambling fall over, equate this with putting their body on the line. It's called 'Scrambling to right a wrong when you've dropped the ball, stalled or got caught with it cause you couldn't make a correct decision'

Figure this out mate.
What helps a team more?
Putting your body on the line? Or NOT turning the ball over and DESTROYING a flowing piece of play which will result in a near certain goal?

Tambling & Suga consisitently **** up more important pieces of play than any other players in the team.

You should have sat near me on Thursday night when Richmond supporters were urging Bling and Suga to not go near the ball. Why? Cause it helps the team.

The security guy on the fence also puts his body on the line, but he hasn't got a hope of ****ing up Richmond's flowing play. That's reserved for Tambling and Johnson.

Ridiculous argument.

Tambling is lacking in confidence when he took the mark inside 50 he should of steadied and have a shot for goal. Why kick it 15 metres to a contest. Needs to deliver believe in his abilities and take on the opposition.

seriously, this kid is at the crossroads.

I hope he can find a way out of this, or else his career at Punt Rd is finished this year.

We have another Fiora & Rodan on our hands here.

The fact is, there is always going to be a lot of pressure on a top round pick, but really hasn't shown much. Every one of his game is unmemorable.

How he gets a game is a mystery.

He can't hit targets, he's too small, his decision making is poor, he isn't as fast as people think, he's got no tricks, he's an outside player and he has no belief or confidence. The only compliment I will give him is that he's a good overhead mark, has sticky hands for his size.

He may be a good samaritan, but as a footy player he is absolutely crap and has been from the very beginning.

so many clueless people...it's obvious you watch him looking for things you can bag him for...took some very nice marks last night and most of his possessions were good..stuffed up no more than anyone else

it's obvious the guy has ability and class..lacks some self belief, but even at his current level is in no danger of being delisted...he's in the latter half of our best 22

i was really encouraged by his performance last night, actually looked like he was thinking on field, played to position well (one of his main weaknesses imo), hit targets and showed general footy nous which i have been critical of in the past.

for all you baggers do yourselves a favour and watch a replay of the game and you will be very surprised at how ridiculous you all sound.

im not a big fan but thats just the way it is :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that you'd even compare the two shows how abysmally poor and shallow your perception of football reality is.

The pot calling the kettle black. A superb piece of hypocricy there Ray Hall, oh I'm sorry Rayzorwire. We saw your perception of Ray Hall a while back and we saw what happened there Einstein.

I reckon if he hadn't fluffed that marking contest last night we wouldn't be having all these slanging matches, there would be a few of the usual rumblings but not the full blown Royal Commission that seems to be taking place. Every footballer has made that mistake at some time or another ... move on everyone :thumbsdown:.

Luckily I can help you out here. I have watched most of the match. Tambling has played a decent game. I missed a few minutes here and there, including his mark.

So to those who bag him. YOU ARE ALL A COMPLETE AND UTTER JOKE AND DISGRACE TO THE RFC. No1 Off and support a team like collingwood or worse Cartank. Your not wanted here.

I really shouldn't drink and type...normally I don't say what i think.

Just throwing up a new point, i think when we drafted mcmahon we really stuffed tamblings development...

The posistion Mcmahon plays is exactly what tambling plays and in many ways they are too similiar be in the best 22. Best case scenario tambling could of turned into peter bourgyone. Im not completly condemning him but he has gotta get some more balls, break lines and use his pace. At the moment tambling is a bit of a liability as he is to weak to play in the midfield(literally cannot lay a tackle) and to lazy to get free.

Tambling should probably concentrate on becoming that Forward that has to be keeping the ball in. He has a good set of hands and can take a mark at pace which are good things for a forward, so playing him at the big mens feet as Brown and Morton tend to lead to the pockets more could be the answer.

We know Nahas is too small atm and not a realistic option on what we have seen so far.

People asking for him to have self confidence.....pfft, if you'd let the ******* kid play. :rolleyes:

Please look closer at the game, I've already watched the replay, he was fairly good tonight.

we let him play every ****ing week mate - what else does this kid want?? supporters holding banners up saying "TAMBO" or something?

everyones gotta stop making excuses for him now - first couple of seasons you get away with that, but not now - his gotta become a ****ing man of a footballer.

If you'd been at the game, you'd have seen the ball went about four feet over his head.

Apart from one kick he also sent over a team-mates head - almost an exact replica of the one he copped himself - he had a good game. Ran hard, tackled hard, and used the ball far better than 90% of others in Y&B.

i was not even talking about that instance - i didn't even SEE that instance until yesterday ( i missed about 10minutes of the game) - i'm talking about his effort, ability to step up and stop making the same errors.

most of all, i'm talking about how he lets players literally "throw him off" when he tries to tackle them - honestly - krak was half this blokes size and had a quarter of the ability - but he could tackle 10 times better than him.

its about WANTING to do something so much that you just ****ing DO it. I don't want tambo to be another fricking FIORA

Well this thread doesnt appear that its ever going to go away .......

Here is a following break down of Tamblings 15 possession game, feel free to comment:

- Direct opponent kicks first goal
- Tambling to Raines, back pocket hospital handball
- Left foot chip on top of Cousins head.
- Tambling over shoots kick on Mortons head, turnover
- Lacks awareness, after receiving ball from Cousins, turnover.

1st Quarter Summary 5 possessions, 80% of possessions result in a turnover. Direct opponent has kicked a goal.

- Kicks to Simmonds on the fifty, clever kick.
- Misses tackle on cook
- Handball to Raines
- Tambling chips back to Edwards, kicks backward.
- Lead up mark on the wing, over shoots kick to Vickery turnover. Pies goal through Beams.
- Kicks from half back the advantage of Simmonds, well weighted kick.

2nd Qtr Summary – Cost his side another goal, other than that a solid quarter. 5 possessions from the wing.

- Handball to Cousins, hospital, Cousins pounded over boundary line.
- Tambling runs forward of the ball receives handball and spots up Richo who goals.
- Tambling, called up on a squib effort by walls and co, didn't attempt to mark a ball when going back with the flight, the direct result, a goal up the other end to the Pies.
- Uncontested mark on HBF, hands to Jackson.
- Tackled by Maxwell, lucky not to be holding the ball.
- Tambling marks inside 50, pops the ball on top of Hislops head, turnover, Darcy comments on his lack of confidence.
Strong mark on the lead, then proceeds to bomb to the ball to a 3 on 1 contest. Turnover.

3rd Quarter Summary
Quarter defined by a squibs like effort picked up by commentators. Decision making is a real issue, some good leads but piss poor disposal and squib efforts really over shadow the good points

Now in Junk Time
- Drops mark in the wing.
- Good kick through the middle.

Game over – Poor game.

Now I'm not Tambling's #1 fan and I do reckon he needs to get his head right in the confidence department and get his attitude right in the effort department (ie. is doesn't matter if you can't catch them - if they know you're trying to, they'll still stuff it up AND if there's an opposition player in front of you - step around them and GO, don't dish off to a teammate who is wearing an opponent).

HOWEVER...over at Olympic Park, in the Skunk Burrow, there is a bloke called Leon Davis who is a gun midfielder/forward. For the first 4 or 5 years that Leon played for the Skunks, every man, woman and child (and skunk) in black and white claimed he needed to lift or he'd be gone. He didn't lift. He didn't go. For reasons unknown to me, so I can only assume maturity, stability, willingness to repay faith - whatever - Leon turned it around in about 2006/2007 and started to really light up. Then in 2008 he exploded in a big way and from what I've seen 2009 is going to be an ever better year for him.

Leon and Richard a good mates, so perhaps they have a similar family story and can really relate to one another and perhaps - just perhaps - it is going to take Richard a couple more seasons to show his true potential (Leon had the advantage of plenty of time up forward where he could kick the odd miracle goal to keep the fans quiet).

But make no mistake - we have no shortage of midfielders or backmen this year and Tambling IS going to have to perform to keep his place this season just like everyone else.

I thought Tambling played all right on Thursday aside from the odd stuffup (see above recommendations) and he was very much in good company when it came to stuffups that night.

Now I'm not Tambling's #1 fan and I do reckon he needs to get his head right in the confidence department and get his attitude right in the effort department (ie. is doesn't matter if you can't catch them - if they know you're trying to, they'll still stuff it up AND if there's an opposition player in front of you - step around them and GO, don't dish off to a teammate who is wearing an opponent).

HOWEVER...over at Olympic Park, in the Skunk Burrow, there is a bloke called Leon Davis who is a gun midfielder/forward. For the first 4 or 5 years that Leon played for the Skunks, every man, woman and child (and skunk) in black and white claimed he needed to lift or he'd be gone. He didn't lift. He didn't go. For reasons unknown to me, so I can only assume maturity, stability, willingness to repay faith - whatever - Leon turned it around in about 2006/2007 and started to really light up. Then in 2008 he exploded in a big way and from what I've seen 2009 is going to be an ever better year for him.

Leon and Richard a good mates, so perhaps they have a similar family story and can really relate to one another and perhaps - just perhaps - it is going to take Richard a couple more seasons to show his true potential (Leon had the advantage of plenty of time up forward where he could kick the odd miracle goal to keep the fans quiet).

But make no mistake - we have no shortage of midfielders or backmen this year and Tambling IS going to have to perform to keep his place this season just like everyone else.

I thought Tambling played all right on Thursday aside from the odd stuffup (see above recommendations) and he was very much in good company when it came to stuffups that night.

Yeh but Neon Leon has silky skills normally associated with aboriginal players. Tambling does not possess these qualities and is very average. I hope for the RFC sake he can forget about being taken ahead of Buddy and start to play some decent football but at the moment it's as likely as JON's breakout year.

Yeh but Neon Leon has silky skills normally associated with aboriginal players. Tambling does not possess these qualities and is very average. I hope for the RFC sake he can forget about being taken ahead of Buddy and start to play some decent football but at the moment it's as likely as JON's breakout year.
Nah, I reckon Tambling's got the moves. He's turned it on just a few times and it's been bloody sensational, but all too rare.

Like I said, Davis has played most of his games up forward where sneaking the odd few goals proved he was a rough diamond. Tambling rarely gets sighted up forward (though has kicked some great goals when he's appeared up there), so the best he can do is run and carry which just isn't his strong suit at the moment.

Overall, I think we're making the same point - Tambling needs to lift - we're just coming at it from different angles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richard Tambling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back