Richard Tambling

Remove this Banner Ad

He is in for a massive year is Richie, expecting him to really
come on in the next 2 yrs..

Its only NAB cup guys, he will have a good year.

I think he's capable of a lot more but I believe if you're an AFL player then you go for those marks and not shirk them. He heard footsteps and Richmond can't afford players who don't put their bodies in. We're lacking in mongrel as it is so to not go for it is inexcusable.

Just wondering what Richie would have to do to get the bashers off his back. Seems to me that unless we have a scapegoat to blame things on we're not happy. For years it was Fiora, then it became Tivendale, then McMahon, now its Tambling. It seems like the majority in this thread getting stuck into Tambling are expecting him to perform at a higher level than Franklin because he was drafted before Franklin. News flash, it doesn't always work out that way.

Before any more posters start/continue to stick the boot in I would like you to stop and think for a minute, imagine every say after work you heard people you didn't even know saying that you're a useless piece of crap who is lucky to even still be employed. How long do you think you would last before it started to eat away at your confidence? How long do you think it would take before you started to let the things people say affect your ability to perform at your best? Because it is exactly what happens with Richie, every week no matter how well he plays he knows that the knockers will continue to get stuck into him. A perfect example is the WC game where he kicked 4 in a quarter, instead of people pumping him up for doing something not many players do, everyone jumped into him because he had a quiet second half of the game. The kid must have thought to himself what do I have to do to please poeple.

What I'm saying is we all know Richie isn't performing as well as he can but instead of constantly bagging him, perhaps its time we laid off and started to show him some support and maybe just maybe we might get to see the best of Tambling before its too late.

Just wondering what Richie would have to do to get the bashers off his back. Seems to me that unless we have a scapegoat to blame things on we're not happy. For years it was Fiora, then it became Tivendale, then McMahon, now its Tambling. It seems like the majority in this thread getting stuck into Tambling are expecting him to perform at a higher level than Franklin because he was drafted before Franklin. News flash, it doesn't always work out that way.

Before any more posters start/continue to stick the boot in I would like you to stop and think for a minute, imagine every say after work you heard people you didn't even know saying that you're a useless piece of crap who is lucky to even still be employed. How long do you think you would last before it started to eat away at your confidence? How long do you think it would take before you started to let the things people say affect your ability to perform at your best? Because it is exactly what happens with Richie, every week no matter how well he plays he knows that the knockers will continue to get stuck into him. A perfect example is the WC game where he kicked 4 in a quarter, instead of people pumping him up for doing something not many players do, everyone jumped into him because he had a quiet second half of the game. The kid must have thought to himself what do I have to do to please poeple.

What I'm saying is we all know Richie isn't performing as well as he can but instead of constantly bagging him, perhaps its time we laid off and started to show him some support and maybe just maybe we might get to see the best of Tambling before its too late.

It's not that we want to see him perform better than Franklin, we want to see him perform at AFL level. That too hard to ask? If he can't this season he should get the boot. If he was taken at pick 20+ he wouldn't even get a game and probably would of been delisted by now.

I'm also pretty sure abit more support and less bagging on an internet forum is not going to get the best out of him. I've been saying this for awhile to mates and just general Richmond supporters, he should be a small crumbing foward and then the coaches can drill defensive pressure mentality into him. If you don't go hard at it, you're gone basically. Too small for defense as we already have King, McMahon, Raines, Polo, Newman, Bowden who all play as attacking defenders. Midfield also is pretty jammed and he just looks lost there, doesn't know what to do with it. Should play a Medhurst role in the team for his size and potential.

It's not that we want to see him perform better than Franklin, we want to see him perform at AFL level. That too hard to ask? If he can't this season he should get the boot. If he was taken at pick 20+ he wouldn't even get a game and probably would of been delisted by now.

I'm also pretty sure abit more support and less bagging on an internet forum is not going to get the best out of him.
Pretty narrow view of things if you think Richie only gets a game because of his draft position. He obviously gets a game because the match committee are pleased with his output from games.

One more thing I think most people are forgetting, is that there were reports over the summer that Tambling had picked up a groin injury, some were suggesting he may have even had the early stages of OP. Pretty hard to perform at your best when you are carrying or recovering from something like that. Perhaps that is why he doesn't look as fast as he used to, perhaps that is why his kicking seems to lack the penetration it used to have. If that is the case would it be fair to then say that delivering 15 possies and 8 marks despite spending vast amounts of time on Thursday either up forward or on the pine is a decent return.

Barnzy, Good post mate. I agree with you.

As much as I feel sorry for Tambling, for people giving him shit (Myself included) after watching him right in front of me ( I was at the game) I just can't see how anyone thought he had a decent game.

I honestly don't think he is preforming at an AFL level. Which he has had enough time to get himself at the stage in his career. And for the people saying "you have no idea what you are talking about, if you are bagging Tambling", YOU are the ones who have no idea. Go and watch the game agian, I was there watching it LIVE. He played alot of the game RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. He had a very below average game. As posted above me, the majority of his possessions ended in a turnover or not how they were intended.

He honestly needs to pick up alot this year, Or I just don't see him making the cut anymore. And don't get me wrong, I'm not just trying to be a prick and hang shit on him and be a bandwagoner. But we are a upcoming team, the club needs to do what is best to be a top side and we can't just have people in the side because we feel sorry for them.

Barnzy, Good post mate. I agree with you.

As much as I feel sorry for Tambling, for people giving him shit (Myself included) after watching him right in front of me ( I was at the game) I just can't see how anyone thought he had a decent game.

I honestly don't think he is preforming at an AFL level. Which he has had enough time to get himself at the stage in his career. And for the people saying "you have no idea what you are talking about, if you are bagging Tambling", YOU are the ones who have no idea. Go and watch the game agian, I was there watching it LIVE. He played alot of the game RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. He had a very below average game. As posted above me, the majority of his possessions ended in a turnover or not how they were intended.

He honestly needs to pick up alot this year, Or I just don't see him making the cut anymore. And don't get me wrong, I'm not just trying to be a prick and hang shit on him and be a bandwagoner. But we are a upcoming team, the club needs to do what is best to be a top side and we can't just have people in the side because we feel sorry for them.
Don't mistake what I post for me feeling sorry for him. All I'm trying to do is suggest reasons why he may not be performing as well as he no doubt wants to.

There is one thing that really annoys me with the tambling bashing, and that is if Richie has a 16 possession 8 mark game its classed as a piss poor game, yet if some of our more highly thought of players put up the same numbers nothing is said about them. I realise that these players have more credit in the bank and can have the odd night off, but really if we're going to get stuck into Tambling for having a poor night then perhaps we can start threads for every player who has a poor night, regardless of reputation otherwise it just smacks of bandwagon posting. Need someone to blame for a poor effort, lets get stuck into the usual suspects because its easier that way.

FWIW, I thought Tambling was no worse on Thursday night than players like Richo (soundly beaten in the second half I thought whe playing forward against Presti), Brown who was hardly sighted after 1/4 time, Newman see Brown, but because one is the heart and soul of the club, another is seen as a match winner on his day and the other is the new Captain they are deemed as untouchable or just escape criticism altogether.

Perhaps we can start a new feature on this board, bag out the stars who have quiet games threads to go with the bag out the mid range players who don't perform like superstars threads. Because in reality thats all Tambling is, a former U/18 champion who sadly hasn't been able to produce the same results at AFL level.

Don't mistake what I post for me feeling sorry for him. All I'm trying to do is suggest reasons why he may not be performing as well as he no doubt wants to.

There is one thing that really annoys me with the tambling bashing, and that is if Richie has a 16 possession 8 mark game its classed as a piss poor game, yet if some of our more highly thought of players put up the same numbers nothing is said about them. I realise that these players have more credit in the bank and can have the odd night off, but really if we're going to get stuck into Tambling for having a poor night then perhaps we can start threads for every player who has a poor night, regardless of reputation otherwise it just smacks of bandwagon posting. Need someone to blame for a poor effort, lets get stuck into the usual suspects because its easier that way.

FWIW, I thought Tambling was no worse on Thursday night than players like Richo (soundly beaten in the second half I thought whe playing forward against Presti), Brown who was hardly sighted after 1/4 time, Newman see Brown, but because one is the heart and soul of the club, another is seen as a match winner on his day and the other is the new Captain they are deemed as untouchable or just escape criticism altogether.

Perhaps we can start a new feature on this board, bag out the stars who have quiet games threads to go with the bag out the mid range players who don't perform like superstars threads. Because in reality thats all Tambling is, a former U/18 champion who sadly hasn't been able to produce the same results at AFL level.

It's not just the fact he had a poor game, it's the fact in his 66 game career he's hardly shown anything, to the point where he is / should be on the brink of our best 22 and possible delistments in the next couple of years if he doesn't improve. Players should not be given games off draft pick position or potential past 50 games and thats stretching it. They have to earn their spot. He should be dropped to the 2's to give him a kick up the ass then maybe just maybe he might actually step up and gain some confidence.

We as Richmond supporters are just sick of mediocrity and Tambling is the perfect example of mediocrity.

It's not just the fact he had a poor game, it's the fact in his 66 game career he's hardly shown anything, to the point where he is / should be on the brink of our best 22 and possible delistments in the next couple of years if he doesn't improve. Players should not be given games off draft pick position or potential past 50 games and thats stretching it. They have to earn their spot. He should be dropped to the 2's to give him a kick up the ass then maybe just maybe he might actually step up and gain some confidence.

We as Richmond supporters are just sick of mediocrity and Tambling is the perfect example of mediocrity.
Barnzy I agree with you, just don't see how weekly bashing sessions of Tambling are going to change things.

Barnzy I agree with you, just don't see how weekly bashing sessions of Tambling are going to change things.

Oh don't get me wrong RT. I don't really think anyone on the team had a stand out game. Every player you mentioned played pretty poor. It's just that with these players they have had an off "game", where as Tambling has had an off "career". I know it sounds harsh but I havn't really seen the kid come up with the goods. He might have a good game here or there but that's it. He is never consistant....abit like Richo's kicking! :p

Oh no doubt, alot of Richmond people seem to jump on their own very early. Saw people already writing off Nahas after two NAB Cup games and the same with Thomson which is very unfair. I feel abit of discussion about Tambling and where he is at, which is the crossroads, is warranted. Maybe some people take it abit over the top though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I thought he was pretty good on Thursday too. "Pretty February good", if you know what I mean - not expecting peak form this early.

The worst thing he did all night was not go back and take his set shot from 40 metres out, but when Geelong players do that it's branded as team discipline ... you know, "always on the lookout for a teammate in a better position". Shame about the kick, but anything more disparaging than saying that and it turns into snipey over-analysis of one individual, when so many of his teammates were butchering it relentlessly.

The great plus in Richie Tambling's game, and why I think the match committee really appreciate him, is the energy and forward movement he offers us. If Richie marks across half back or centre, his head is up, looking forward, and he's instinctively off. Sure it's perilous at times, and he can run into a bit of strife, but that's modern footy. Possession is far cheaper than it used to be, but fast movement forward is priceless. Ditto for Whitey and Axel - they tend to take off as a default reaction, often to their own detriment at times, but they get us bloody moving and open up spaces ahead of them.

Whereas so many of our blokes hold it up for too long, and are too slow to react. Richo's a prime culprit, but he has other facets to his game that are more beneficial. Jackson's got no vision beyond about 5 metres in front of him, and Johnson may be better served simply kicking the ball into stands for all the drive he offers nowadays.

Like most of our bunch, Tambling ran out of legs by midway through the 3rd quarter on Thursday night. But up until then he was in our most useful half-dozen or so blokes on the field, along with Rainsey, Axel, Whitey, Lids and the Cuz.

My views on Tamblings game

- looked good at half forward when on the lead
- strong overhead taking some good grabs
- showed some good zip and will only get better after missing chunks of preseason
- thought he could have chased defenders out of the 50 with a bit more committment but again limited preseason
- was sold into trouble a couple of times and coughed up the ball.
- made a couple of errors - the kick to hislop and coughing up the ball under pressure but still early in the season and he has come off a limited preparation.

Too early to write him off for the season.

If Bling's carrying any personal baggage from the "Draft Mistake of The Century" - next time we play Hawthorn I'd be lining him up in the backline, close to or on Franklin, and give him a chance to contest Franklin. I know it's not the right matchup but it could give Bling a chance to exorcise a few demons. Would also make for interseting viewing given all the comparisons made between the two.

Only problem is we don't play them 'til round 21, may still be worth a crack then.

If Bling's carrying any personal baggage from the "Draft Mistake of The Century" - next time we play Hawthorn I'd be lining him up in the backline, close to or on Franklin, and give him a chance to contest Franklin. I know it's not the right matchup but it could give Bling a chance to exorcise a few demons. Would also make for interseting viewing given all the comparisons made between the two.

Only problem is we don't play them 'til round 21, may still be worth a crack then.

You would never, I repeat never match Tambling onto Buddy. He would be giving away 16cm and 21kg and we would get belted. It would only lower his confidence ever further after Buddy kicks 10 on him in a quarter.

The priority should be to make him into a useful player for Richmond. Get him out on the wing where he can use his pace and at least be an asset. He has a lot of improvement to offer his side if he can find the right position. Put him on the wing and get him to bomb it in to Richo and co.

You would never, I repeat never match Tambling onto Buddy. He would be giving away 16cm and 21kg and we would get belted. It would only lower his confidence ever further after Buddy kicks 10 on him in a quarter.

of course it would be a risk, my point was more about getting him to contest with/ be near Buddy so perhaps a back pocket position which puts him in the vicinity. You don't have to wait for 10 goals to be kicked before conceding that it didn't work.

Overall point is that if the Buddy comparison is affecting Bling in the confidence area we need to resolve that as well as improving his skills. We need culture change at Richmond, not just a great list.

I completely agree CnC; it's a shame Frawley didn't think the same to give Fiora confidence by putting him in front of Pav. He would have been a star given that opportunity :thumbsu:

If Richie marks across half back or centre, his head is up, looking forward, and he's instinctively off. Sure it's perilous at times, and he can run into a bit of strife, but that's modern footy.

I think that is what the knockers are pointing out. Too often he gets into trouble, circles and handballs to someone 'hot'. And these don't show up as the often quoted low number of 'errors'. In fact, in comparison to White, he looks like Johnson when getting the ball.

The shot on the goal however now makes sense if he is worried about his groin and didn't want to overstretch. He is travelling OK though...just doing enough to stay in our best 22 for now. Who knows, he may get a new coach in a couple of years who will give him the rocket he needs to get some 'die for the team' mentality. IMO, that is all he needs!

I completely agree CnC; it's a shame Frawley didn't think the same to give Fiora confidence by putting him in front of Pav. He would have been a star given that opportunity :thumbsu:

great minds think alike cormick.

all right then I get the message - forget the f@%$# Bling-Buddy idea. How about this one. Try Bling in a dozen different position's, confuse the crap out of him with complicated instructions then trade him to Port Power?

I think that is what the knockers are pointing out. Too often he gets into trouble, circles and handballs to someone 'hot'. And these don't show up as the often quoted low number of 'errors'. In fact, in comparison to White, he looks like Johnson when getting the ball.

The shot on the goal however now makes sense if he is worried about his groin and didn't want to overstretch. He is travelling OK though...just doing enough to stay in our best 22 for now. Who knows, he may get a new coach in a couple of years who will give him the rocket he needs to get some 'die for the team' mentality. IMO, that is all he needs!

I'm not accepting a single injury excuse about bling this year. If he is carrying a groin problem then he should never have played in the all-star match.
I was hoping that he would be the biggest player to benefit from having Cousins around to show him hard work but so far he still appears lazy to me, too often I see him jogging at half pace while his direct opponent is putting in the hard ones to get the ball.

great minds think alike cormick.

all right then I get the message - forget the f@%$# Bling-Buddy idea. How about this one. Try Bling in a dozen different position's, confuse the crap out of him with complicated instructions then trade him to Port Power?
Nah, delist him, so Port can pick him up with either the last pick in the national draft or a pick in the rookie draft...

Remove this Banner Ad

Richard Tambling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back