Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

So you think we should go the really successful North model then?

Ummmm, let me think, errr yes.

In short, yes. If you aint in the top 8 by 2028, you won't be in it for the next 5 to 10 years as the system will be totally comprised and diluted for everyone.

2028 will be a great year for our premiership assault as everyone will either get dragged under or scrambling to navigate through it. We by default of very poor list started the purge in 2020 and subsequent development ironically are the best team by far to lock ourselves in the finals race for a good little while yet.

With sheezal in the line up, we have a good 15 years to juice up the list to be competitive. Not saying it x no. flags but it's certain many years in the finals by the time he retires.

I can't see clubs paying overs for Richmond players. Why would gc and freo give up multiple firsts for guys who haven't shown much this year? It's a big risk and I'd think either club might give 1 first rounder, but it would terrible list management to give any more. They are both better bringing in and developing players. I'd think Richmond might get a 3rd round for Graham.

I can't see clubs paying overs for Richmond players. Why would gc and freo give up multiple firsts for guys who haven't shown much this year? It's a big risk and I'd think either club might give 1 first rounder, but it would terrible list management to give any more. They are both better bringing in and developing players. I'd think Richmond might get a 3rd round for Graham.

Because the Tigers are likely to add in $ to make them 'cheap' to play. And the players fill holes in the teams they are going to. Rioli helps GC get run and carry, which they need. Plus experience and leadership will help. Bolton is a super star attacking player. In a good team he can rip it apart, in a poor team he is starved of opportunities to do his thing. Freo would very much be better for having him. Baker is a very good player who adds leadership, and all round ability - not a star but I love him so much as a player. Graham is one of the best repeat effort players and defensive mids in the AFL. If a team needs what he brings he is extremely valuable. Graham never came on with his possessions and ability to add attacking edge unfortunately. But still a good B grader who creates a well balanced midfield, if you have the ball getters and attacking players.

Getting players like these to go for a flag tilt will help (Graham not so much unless you need his type). Rioli and Bolton are A grade in what they do, especially Shai is A+.

With it being very difficult to get experienced players of this caliber and the Tigers being able to pony up $ then clubs in the window may 'over pay' to try and get that cup.

Because the Tigers are likely to add in $ to make them 'cheap' to play. And the players fill holes in the teams they are going to. Rioli helps GC get run and carry, which they need. Plus experience and leadership will help. Bolton is a super star attacking player. In a good team he can rip it apart, in a poor team he is starved of opportunities to do his thing. Freo would very much be better for having him. Baker is a very good player who adds leadership, and all round ability - not a star but I love him so much as a player. Graham is one of the best repeat effort players and defensive mids in the AFL. If a team needs what he brings he is extremely valuable. Graham never came on with his possessions and ability to add attacking edge unfortunately. But still a good B grader who creates a well balanced midfield, if you have the ball getters and attacking players.

Getting players like these to go for a flag tilt will help (Graham not so much unless you need his type). Rioli and Bolton are A grade in what they do, especially Shai is A+.

With it being very difficult to get experienced players of this caliber and the Tigers being able to pony up $ then clubs in the window may 'over pay' to try and get that cup.
Absolutely, premiership lists are completeted at the trade table. Some of our guys could be the difference and at a bare minimum can help a team like GC or Freo take another step forward. The guys (excluding Graham) talked about aren't like a Judd or a Cotchin who you would be bringing in to be a captain, they are more improvements to your list and who are proven performers in a great team. Every club every year is looking at who they can bring in from other sides that fit their needs and this is no different. One horrible year does not drop all of their value. Bolton is entering his prime years whereas I think we have seen the absolute peak of Rioli and he would more likely maintain than significantly improve from here.

Freo aren't going to pay overs after headland, lobb, farmer and hogan come home factor disasters, why ruin what they are building

Freo aren't going to pay overs after headland, lobb, farmer and hogan come home factor disasters, why ruin what they are building
Bolton and Baker are West Aussies. They are going home - if it happens. :D

Personally, I think Richmond will try and balance first round picks between this year and next year.
100% this. Assuming a bottom two finish for us next year as well, you would hope that we could procure 3 first rounders this year and 3 next year. If we finish dead last both years then the first pick of the second round is worth a bit too. 8 picks over two years in the first 25 picks in each draft would be a lot to work with.

We have struck gold in the past with a lot of rookie picks and whilst it would be great to see that continue, I'm tired of us stuffing up the earlier rounds. The Corey Ellis/Ben Lennon/RCD/Dow types who we reach for and are busts can GAGF. Really want to see a list built with some top end talent that come in around the same time and want to stick together hopefully.

Retire - Dusty, Grimes
Trade - Rioli, Bolton, Graham

Even if all of the above happens, they'll still have plenty of experience in 2025.

Vlastuin
Prestia
Taranto
Short
Lynch
Hopper
Balta
Nankervis
McIntosh
Broad
Pickett

It's aggressive for sure, but I don't think it's too deep.

But of that list 7 of them are very old and have 2 years max left. Of the other 4, Short has lost any kind of form and really should have been dropped months ago, Hopper hardly ever plays, so its really just Taranto and Balta. Balta is also out of contract next year and a RFA would no doubt be getting massive offers to leave as well.

I dont really see a situation where Bolton gets to Freo, they would have to offer 3 first rounders or something, which they wont, so I dont see us allowing him to leave.

Rioli is more interesting, hes been our best player by a mile this season, but it is possible GC do pay way overs as they dont really need draft picks with all their academy players they will continue to get going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end Richmond will end up with 5 picks in the top 25

Baker and graham leave

Rioli and Bolton stay .

We don’t need any more draft picks and we certainly don’t want rioli and Bolton to leave for more draft picks
The only thing that’s been posted in weeks that I feel happy with

You’ve got to keep a few blokes on the list who play the game the way it should be played to set the standard for the younger blokes

And Rioli and Bolton are the kind of players turn up to watch play

I know we need some extra picks with 2028 looming (and the lack of talent on the current list)

Baker, and Graham, OK, but Rioli and Bolton would be a hell of a kick in the guts

The only thing that’s been posted in weeks that I feel happy with

You’ve got to keep a few blokes on the list who play the game the way it should be played to set the standard for the younger blokes

And Rioli and Bolton are the kind of players turn up to watch play

I know we need some extra picks with 2028 looming (and the lack of talent on the current list)

Baker, and Graham, OK, but Rioli and Bolton would be a hell of a kick in the guts
Contracted and no need to trade at all

2027, even. Richmond have three drafts to acquire the talent to set themselves up for a decade before the draft gets stuffed for a few years. Given the limited window, I think it'd be a waste to keep both Bolton and Rioli at the peak of their trade value when neither are likely to be in Richmond's next flag team. If they can convince one of them to stay, fair play to them, but keeping both probably gives them worse draft picks going forward (and fewer) for no long term gain.

But of that list 7 of them are very old and have 2 years max left. Of the other 4, Short has lost any kind of form and really should have been dropped months ago, Hopper hardly ever plays, so its really just Taranto and Balta. Balta is also out of contract next year and a RFA would no doubt be getting massive offers to leave as well.
So over the next 1-3 years you not only bring in young kids, but also cheap experience to help guide them through their formative years in the AFL system.

See every rebuilding side in recent memory.

Re: Short, you're right. But it's not just about how well he's playing or even if he's playing in the senior side. Leadership and experience extends beyond that.

I dont really see a situation where Bolton gets to Freo, they would have to offer 3 first rounders or something, which they wont, so I dont see us allowing him to leave.
I get it. It's not an easy decision. And it wouldn't be easy for Tiger fans to see someone as beloved as Bolton playing elsewhere.

I just think the stars have aligned for this to be not only possible, but genuinely worthwhile for both clubs to pursue.

It just depends how aggressive they want to be in their respective positions.

If I'm Richmond, I'm doing it. But of course I'm not Richmond, nor a supporter.

Rioli is more interesting, hes been our best player by a mile this season, but it is possible GC do pay way overs as they dont really need draft picks with all their academy players they will continue to get going forward.

Yes and they may see him as someone who can help them push into finals and beyond. Something I don't necessarily disagree with.

Much like Bolton, if it doesn't happen this year it's not going to go away. The exact same conversation will be had next year and probably every year until they either retire or move elsewhere.

So you may as well rip the bandaid off. You are going to bottom out with them or without them. I may well be wrong, but I don't see Richmond in the position where a quick reset will do it. This will be a number of very lean years IMO.

So over the next 1-3 years you not only bring in young kids, but also cheap experience to help guide them through their formative years in the AFL system.

See every rebuilding side in recent memory.

Re: Short, you're right. But it's not just about how well he's playing or even if he's playing in the senior side. Leadership and experience extends beyond that.

I get it. It's not an easy decision. And it wouldn't be easy for Tiger fans to see someone as beloved as Bolton playing elsewhere.

I just think the stars have aligned for this to be not only possible, but genuinely worthwhile for both clubs to pursue.

It just depends how aggressive they want to be in their respective positions.

If I'm Richmond, I'm doing it. But of course I'm not Richmond, nor a supporter.

Yes and they may see him as someone who can help them push into finals and beyond. Something I don't necessarily disagree with.

Much like Bolton, if it doesn't happen this year it's not going to go away. The exact same conversation will be had next year and probably every year until they either retire or move elsewhere.

So you may as well rip the bandaid off. You are going to bottom out with them or without them. I may well be wrong, but I don't see Richmond in the position where a quick reset will do it. This will be a number of very lean years IMO.
well carlton are clearly not good enough

So might as well trade Curnow, Walsh and De koning

Strong draft so they can get heaps of picks, might as well rip the band aid off now

Am I doing this right ?

Am I doing this right ?

No sorry.

This is the Richmond specific thread on the DTFA board.

Not a place to troll or to talk about Carlton. Or do a combination of both. There are other places across the site you can venture to should you wish to talk about those topics. Happy to help you on your way if you need.

Should get 4 first rounders for Bolton, Baker and Rioli plus likely get Brisbane’s in a pick swap where we also promise not to bid on Ashcroft at #1. Hopefully 6 picks inside 20.

Ideally some of these can move into next year too. Broadly without considering talent available, 3 first rounders this year and next year with two of those being 1st or 2nd overall pick will help a heap with the rebuild. Being able to pick up two Deledio/Cotchin/Martin top end draft picks and ideally 2 additional highly ranked mids and the 2 best key position players from each of the next couple of drafts would go a long way.

Should get 4 first rounders for Bolton, Baker and Rioli plus likely get Brisbane’s in a pick swap where we also promise not to bid on Ashcroft at #1. Hopefully 6 picks inside 20.

Nobody will bid on Ashcroft at #1

The PR/politics of it practically guarantee that.

The club with pick 1 wants to be able to tell the world (particularly advertisers/supporters) that they got the best young player. Bidding on someone else will cost them considerable $$$, and the upside of doing so just isn't worth it.

The only exception would be if the player being bid on is such a standout that to not bid would be an obvious error.

That's not to say that Brisbane wont trade their 1st for a bunch of later picks/points, but the 'we wont bid' promise wont hold much influence there. The holders of pick 2/3 would have more currency there.

Nobody will bid on Ashcroft at #1

The PR/politics of it practically guarantee that.

The club with pick 1 wants to be able to tell the world (particularly advertisers/supporters) that they got the best young player. Bidding on someone else will cost them considerable $$$, and the upside of doing so just isn't worth it.

The only exception would be if the player being bid on is such a standout that to not bid would be an obvious error.

That's not to say that Brisbane wont trade their 1st for a bunch of later picks/points, but the 'we wont bid' promise wont hold much influence there. The holders of pick 2/3 would have more currency there.
2020 National draft…Jamarra went no 1 after a bid from Adelaide was matched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back