Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Nobody will bid on Ashcroft at #1

The PR/politics of it practically guarantee that.

The club with pick 1 wants to be able to tell the world (particularly advertisers/supporters) that they got the best young player. Bidding on someone else will cost them considerable $$$, and the upside of doing so just isn't worth it.

The only exception would be if the player being bid on is such a standout that to not bid would be an obvious error.

That's not to say that Brisbane wont trade their 1st for a bunch of later picks/points, but the 'we wont bid' promise wont hold much influence there. The holders of pick 2/3 would have more currency there.
I think that depends on the situation clubs are in!

I think if Richmond have 4 or 5 first round draft picks do they really need to promote they have the best 18yo in the country when they can say they’ve got 4-5 of the best 18.

Adelaide in 2020 bid on Jamarra so it wouldn’t be the first time a bid has come on pick 1.

If Richmond have a few late first round picks as well they could easily say deal with us and we won’t bid on Ashcroft at 1 and no bids on Sam Marshall as well with our later picks

How many first round draft picks could Tigers end up with if they trade Bolton , Baker and Rioli?
If things go well and GC are stupid as usual
Rioili, two picks in the 50s -> pick 5
Yes, I agree GC should keep it for a bid ahead of Lombard but everyone seems to know this is happening so I assume they have agreed to something stupid.

Bolton, Baker -> 9,10, 25

30 and whatever junk they still have -> 16 from Brisbane

Results in 1, 5, 9,10, 16, 21, 25

Extort someone for 21 on day 3 for a future 1st or something, probably a F2 or similar for 25.

Yes, I agree GC should keep it for a bid ahead of Lombard but everyone seems to know this is happening so I assume they have agreed to something stupid.

Extort someone for 21 on day 3 for a future 1st or something, probably a F2 or similar for 25.
Bolton & Baker = 9 , 10 , 16
Rioli = 5 & 14 with 22 Graham pick going back
Brisbane pick #16/18 with 39, 41, 48, 57 going back (=#11)
#21 traded for a F1 1st pick 2nd day

#1 , #5 , #9 , #10 , #14 , #16 , #30 to the draft

Bolton & Baker = 9 , 10 , 16
Rioli = 5 & 14 with 22 Graham pick going back
Brisbane pick #16/18 with 39, 41, 48, 57 going back (=#11)
I disagree on the Bolton and Baker because I think 9 and 10 is big overs for a contracted Bolton so dont know why Freo should give a fair price for Baker as well. If contract status is all important, some of the overs can go against the Baker payment. I would be prepared for Freo to be weak in the trade though and crumble.

The Rioli valuations are cooked from you lot and the whole site is going to laugh at GC when that trade goes through. If they pay MORE than 5 they are insane, but they are insane so who knows

The Brisbane pick is whatever, them rising up the ladder has made it very achievable for Richmond though. Pretty sure the ways these work you'll need a higher pick at the top though.

I disagree on the Bolton and Baker because I think 9 and 10 is big overs for a contracted Bolton so dont know why Freo should give a fair price for Baker as well. If contract status is all important, some of the overs can go against the Baker payment. I would be prepared for Freo to be weak in the trade though and crumble.

The Rioli valuations are cooked from you lot and the whole site is going to laugh at GC when that trade goes through. If they pay MORE than 5 they are insane, but they are insane so who knows

The Brisbane pick is whatever, them rising up the ladder has made it very achievable for Richmond though. Pretty sure the ways these work you'll need a higher pick at the top though.
9 & 10 will go out atleast 1 to 10 & 11

You dont get a top 3 pick for theses picks
Bolton is easily worth a top 3 pick

Would you trade Young for 10 & 11 ?
no way you would trade a 25 year old walters for that

9 & 10 will go out atleast 1 to 10 & 11

You dont get a top 3 pick for theses picks
Bolton is easily worth a top 3 pick

Would you trade Young for 10 & 11 ?
no way you would trade a 25 year old walters for that
Haha, I dont want to do this same discussion again with you. I've said I would be disappointed in Freo being weak but I can see it happening

Well he is worth 5 x Weller and 2 x Cerra atleast you would have to agree there
Cerra was pretty good last year but yeah, he's got both covered but Jeremy Cameron is also 4 x the player the Bolton is so we're at an extreme and irrelevant outlier impasse there

Cerra was pretty good last year but yeah, he's got both covered but Jeremy Cameron is also 4 x the player the Bolton is so we're at an extreme and irrelevant outlier impasse there
You can only take what the club holds

Cameron is a better player now than he was at GWS and a 27 year old that turned 28 when he played his 1st game at the cats also a free agent matched bid so very different.

Shai is easily worth a top 3 pick and has 4 years remaining
But more importantly as you know he is the missing piece in the freo team and Baker easily fills the grunt and experience role that the young team requires.

Cerra #7 Saad #8 uncontracted and neither are good enough to be the difference that carries a team to a win in a GF
Shai Bolton very much is and if Freo only had #2/#3 and a 2nd rounder then there would be no question on which pick would be traded

think you guys are being silly with 10 & 11 being sufficient here

You forgot 22 as compensation for Graham...

You can only take what the club holds

Cameron is a better player now than he was at GWS and a 27 year old that turned 28 when he played his 1st game at the cats also a free agent matched bid so very different.

Shai is easily worth a top 3 pick and has 4 years remaining
But more importantly as you know he is the missing piece in the freo team and Baker easily fills the grunt and experience role that the young team requires.

Cerra #7 Saad #8 uncontracted and neither are good enough to be the difference that carries a team to a win in a GF
Shai Bolton very much is and if Freo only had #2/#3 and a 2nd rounder then there would be no question on which pick would be traded

think you guys are being silly with 10 & 11 being sufficient here
And 10/11 in a bizarely even draft straight up is a massive price and as much as anyone has paid for a player in a long time. Neale was fair overs of a similar level player at a comparable / younger age and that's more than what he want for. I'm not even disagreeing, I think that's what the price will be but I think it's massive overs, regardless of how you justify it. If we are paying massive overs coz contracted, why should we pay a fair price for Baker if uncontracted?

I also agree that your suggestion might be what happens, it's a massive price, but within reason. I'd still be annoyed Freo cant have a little balls trading for players for once

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And 10/11 in a bizarely even draft straight up is a massive price and as much as anyone has paid for a player in a long time. Neale was fair overs of a similar level player at a comparable / younger age and that's more than what he want for. I'm not even disagreeing, I think that's what the price will be but I think it's massive overs, regardless of how you justify it. If we are paying massive overs coz contracted, why should we pay a fair price for Baker if uncontracted?

I also agree that your suggestion might be what happens, it's a massive price, but within reason. I'd still be annoyed Freo cant have a little balls trading for players for once
Yes its a massive price but thats what you pay for a player with 8 years remaining in a career and in a top team is elite
not just a small foward but a gun mid and i always compared him to sonny walters in his prime as a player

I would rather take the eagles pick #3 or crows pick #4 thatn all 3 of freo's 1st rounders
the Gun stars are taken in the top 3-4 pick

sometimes the price just needs to be paid when your club is in the window and Richmond paid pick #6 for a constantly injured Prestia at the time.

Haha, I dont want to do this same discussion again with you. I've said I would be disappointed in Freo being weak but I can see it happening

Its looking likely that Fremantle will need to get used to paying up on terms of the massive overs they demanded for Brad Hill; after paying Hawthorn a pick in the mid 20s for a player who was early 20s triple premiership player.

Yes its a massive price but thats what you pay for a player with 8 years remaining in a career and in a top team is elite
not just a small foward but a gun mid and i always compared him to sonny walters in his prime as a player

I would rather take the eagles pick #3 or crows pick #4 thatn all 3 of freo's 1st rounders
the Gun stars are taken in the top 3-4 pick

sometimes the price just needs to be paid when your club is in the window and Richmond paid pick #6 for a constantly injured Prestia at the time.
That's something I'll discuss because I find it interesting. I've not heard of a draft talked about like this before, you wouldnt rather two cracks in the top 12 of this draft than one more in the top 3?

Its looking likely that Fremantle will need to get used to paying up on terms of the massive overs they demanded for Brad Hill; after paying Hawthorn a pick in the mid 20s for a player who was early 20s triple premiership player.
Lucky for me, I am no longer a mod can put your crazy obsession with Brad Hill on ignore

That's something I'll discuss because I find it interesting. I've not heard of a draft talked about like this before, you wouldnt rather two cracks in the top 12 of this draft than one more in the top 3?
I would rather take Draper / Fos than anything available at #10/#11

Lucky for me, I am no longer a mod can put your crazy obsession with Brad Hill on ignore
He does have a point though Freo demand massive overs for their contracted player and get them so cant complain when the roles are reversed.

* If you were a mod still we wouldnt be having this conversation as you had banned me the most of all mods (total 8 times)
but even though i still have your address i never did the drive bye

He does have a point though Freo demand massive overs for their contracted player and get them so cant complain when the roles are reversed.

* If you were a mod still we wouldnt be having this conversation as you had banned me the most of all mods (total 8 times)
The only reason I banned you the most was because I was the most active chatter, any bans are a team effort. No one is complaining, Freo always pay max value on players they trade for, uncontracted or not. They are definitely arseholes on trading for our contracted players, we lose so many, we'd be stupid not to. You keep trying to make a point I keep agreeing with so I dont know why you keep doing it.

Is there any part of this you disagree with, I think Freo will pay massive overs and that will be (before movement), 9 and 10

I'll make a further point on this, we extorted Pies in value on the Schultz trade BUT given how many close games we lost and how bad our smalls are, I think there is a very large chance losing Schultz cost us a top 4 spot and very likely a top 8 spot. What value can you place on that?

I'll make a further point on this, we extorted Pies in value on the Schultz trade BUT given how many close games we lost and how bad our smalls are, I think there is a very large chance losing Schultz cost us a top 4 spot and very likely a top 8 spot. What value can you place on that?
I think the schultz trade did not cost you but the replacements just didnt perform up to scratch
Pies play a very different game style that suits the way he plays but i highly doubt he would have made an impact exactly when needed at freo.

The part of your post that you mention you agree with me on that i dont agree is you believe 10/11 is massive overs but i would say its unders . these 2 picks dont buy pick #3 which is where i value a 25 year old Shai Bolton

Also im so old that i remember the days of having disagreements with freo supporters 4 years ago telling me Shai Bolton was only worth a 3rd rounder

I think the schultz trade did not cost you but the replacements just didnt perform up to scratch
Pies play a very different game style that suits the way he plays but i highly doubt he would have made an impact exactly when needed at freo.

The part of your post that you mention you agree with me on that i dont agree is you believe 10/11 is massive overs but i would say its unders . these 2 picks dont buy pick #3 which is where i value a 25 year old Shai Bolton

Also im so old that i remember the days of having disagreements with freo supporters 4 years ago telling me Shai Bolton was only worth a 3rd rounder
Sorry, I dont think there is any way you can justify the two top picks being unders other than being extremely bias and I challenge you to find a single non-Richmond poster on this site who genuinely agree's with you

No.

You're getting hung up on the talk it's even. It's even in that you can get comparable talent at 20, maybe even 30, to pick 10. But the talent you'll get at 3 is better than you'd get at 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back