Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

They thought that Karl Amon was going to be Band 1 too.
Ended up being Band 3.

We tend to not overpay players, but who knows what the AFL herbs and spices will throw up as compo.

Except when the club holding the player are trying to cash in so they can rebuild, Richmond do not have the whip hand in these trades.
That's enough interwebs for you old chap

who is that GIF

I reckon he's watched a lot more of the draft prospects than you have, and has more to compare it to from how much he's watched prospects in previous drafts too. He's not correct 100% of the time and you're welcome to disagree with him, but until I read your draft analysis thread I'm going to put more stock in his opinion than yours.
You're free to do what you like.

A grader IMO is top 10% at your position in the comp, basically All Australian. Neither Bolton or Rioli will go close to that this year. Bolton at his best could be considered A grade, Rioli not even close.

For comparison of players who are looking for new homes this year.. who is the better player with more upside out of Rioli and Lukosious., who is 3 years younger than Rioli. I suspect every person that doesn’t support Richmond has Lukosious well ahead, Gold Coast will be lucky to get a late first for him.

Bailey Smith I rate highly, is 2 years younger than Bolton and Cats will likely get him for their first pick. Izak Rankine, a similar player to Bolton but was only 22 at the time went to Adelaide for pick 5 and a future 4th, this probably seems about the right make for Bolton.
Firstly All Australian is 22 players, 40 if you include the original selection. What are there, 700 odd AFL players? Thats 3% for All Australian, just over 5% for the extended list. It's also, as I'm sure you know, a stupid way to judge a players worth.

Personally for me A grade is top 15-20%, and Rioli fits comfortably in that category. That aside I think Boltons worth about pick 3, but I value pick 3 higher than 2x mid first round picks (even though the points may be greater). IMO people tend to overvalue picks, especially in comparison to proven players.

Out of interest. How many A, B, C and D grade players on the Carlton list, and who are they?

Firstly All Australian is 22 players, 40 if you include the original selection. What are there, 700 odd AFL players? Thats 3% for All Australian, just over 5% for the extended list. It's also, as I'm sure you know, a stupid way to judge a players worth.

Personally for me A grade is top 15-20%, and Rioli fits comfortably in that category. That aside I think Boltons worth about pick 3, but I value pick 3 higher than 2x mid first round picks (even though the points may be greater). IMO people tend to overvalue picks, especially in comparison to proven players.

Out of interest. How many A, B, C and D grade players on the Carlton list, and who are they?

You asked the question so I will answer
A Grade - Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Weitering — McKay is the controversial one here but IMO he is the best true CHF in comp.
B Grade - Walsh (potential to be A but not this year), Newman, Saad, Cerra, TDK
C Grade- Kennedy, Marchbank, Acres, Hewett, McGovern

Everyone else would be D or E.

You asked the question so I will answer
A Grade - Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Weitering — McKay is the controversial one here but IMO he is the best true CHF in comp.
B Grade - Walsh (potential to be A but not this year), Newman, Saad, Cerra, TDK
C Grade- Kennedy, Marchbank, Acres, Hewett, McGovern

Everyone else would be D or E.
Yeah, reckon your grading is way too tough on the B's and C's in particular. Even with the A's you're definition is basically elite or close too. Do you have a criteria or is it just 'feel'? No judgement BTW, just interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, reckon your grading is way too tough on the B's and C's in particular. Even with the A's you're definition is basically elite or close too. Do you have a criteria or is it just 'feel'? No judgement BTW, just interested.

Yeah no criteria just a general viewpoint that most media plaudits and fans over rate players, especially their own..

Elite by definition ‘a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group’

This definition should be left for the complete top tier Daicos, Cripps, Bont, Gawn, Neale, obviously Dusty & Dangerfield in a previous years.

More I think of it, more I’m a strong believer in Richmond should cash in on Lynch while he has a modicum of value left. They’re losing how many millions in salary with Dusty, Baker, Bolton, Graham, Rioli, Grimes, so they can get a sweet deal in terms of another pick if they continue to pay him.

Lynch is moving into NicNat/Shuey territory where of course it’d be nice to have him out there teaching the kids, but he can’t get on the park. So I genuinely think they should sell him and pay his salary as long as it gives them a solid pick.

He’s not a Nankervis type who plays most weeks anymore.

More I think of it, more I’m a strong believer in Richmond should cash in on Lynch while he has a modicum of value left. They’re losing how many millions in salary with Dusty, Baker, Bolton, Graham, Rioli, Grimes, so they can get a sweet deal in terms of another pick if they continue to pay him.

Lynch is moving into NicNat/Shuey territory where of course it’d be nice to have him out there teaching the kids, but he can’t get on the park. So I genuinely think they should sell him and pay his salary as long as it gives them a solid pick.

He’s not a Nankervis type who plays most weeks anymore.
Who would take him? Pies and Dees the ones that could use him but think Melbourne ship has sailed. What's a solid pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back