Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

You say this, but Noah Cumberland is currently still on an AFL list...
I remember after his breakout game, wondering if Brisbane missed a trick by failing to match the bid for him. Turns out, when the best player Brisbane have let go from their academy is Mabior Chol, they're usually right about talent evaluation. (I know Aliir Aliir played for Aspley but unsure if he was part of the Lions academy. In any case he was probably very raw back then.)

What would Vlaustin cost at the trade table?
He is worth more to Richmond than what any team would be prepared to pay
He is the glue that will keep things from breaking down with so many kids coming into the club next year

Taranto , Hopper , Nankervis , Broad , Vlastuin , Lynch and to an extent McIntosh / Short are the mature heads in the club

If they’re not careful they could be heading for a North like rebuild.

Trading all of Rioli, Baker, Bolton and possibly Lynch, ontop of Dusty, Grimes and Pickett retiring is a huge hole.

One that I think will cause many years of pain.
It’s heading that way regardless, Richmond won 2 games this year and it’s only getting worse before it gets better. lucky they have glory years only a few years bacn to get the fans through the next 10 years of pain.

Trading all of Rioli, Baker, Bolton and possibly Lynch, ontop of Dusty, Grimes and Pickett retiring is a huge hole.

There is pain ahead but I they’ll be OK.

Assuming they get rid of the above - as well as Graham - they may still have all of…

Vlastuin
Prestia
Taranto
Short
Hopper
Balta
Nankervis
McIntosh
Broad

I think that’s ample experience and more than North ever had through their rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They finished last WITH all of those guys. With only 2 wins.
What choice do they have?
Yes, it will likely be several painful years. But with an expansion team on the horizon, the longer they delay making the hard choices, they're only prolonging and extending that pain into the future.
It's a no brainer to do it. The players they are moving on from will never have as much currency in the market as what they have now. Realistically, they are likely to get 120 cents on the dollar for them (with the exception of Graham) if they pull the trigger now.
It hurts for the supporters, but they've given you a good run. Plenty of great memories to console yourself with. The club have earnt your trust and support during what will be a rough few years.
Feel for the new CEO who is going to have to sell all of this as his first public act of business. He's inheriting this, hope it isn't hung around his neck when it inevitably gets bumpy

What would happen if the best we got offered for Rioli was 13 and 20 and the best for Bolton was 9 and 17? Dowe keep the players or do we go into the draft with pick 1 and 4 2nd rounders (1 for Graham and 1 plus a future 2nd for Baker)

In that instance, I reckon we negotiate with Freo to get an extra later pick included, but Rioli will stay.

I think we will try and do the right thing when family are involved, but when its preference as in Rioli's trade then we will hold him to his contract if we can't get what we should and thats Pick 6. Rioli is a professional and would still front up and put in 100% for us next year. I suspect GC already know this and will eventually (they will make a bit of noise about it) but will eventually include Pick 6 in the deal.

The Lynch trade talk seems like BS media speculation.

What punters are overlooking is that we had one of the top 3 or 4 oldest lists at the start of this year.

I don't think this hole will make us the youngest club, maybe one of the youngest 4-6, but we have enough experience to avoid that.

The caveat is injuries - we will have lesser depth of experience so a few key injuries and we'll be in a similar position to this year.

That being said, it is a huge off-season for us that will go a long way to determining whether our rebuild is short and sweet or long and protracted.

They finished last WITH all of those guys. With only 2 wins.
What choice do they have?
Yes, it will likely be several painful years. But with an expansion team on the horizon, the longer they delay making the hard choices, they're only prolonging and extending that pain into the future.
It's a no brainer to do it. The players they are moving on from will never have as much currency in the market as what they have now. Realistically, they are likely to get 120 cents on the dollar for them (with the exception of Graham) if they pull the trigger now.
It hurts for the supporters, but they've given you a good run. Plenty of great memories to console yourself with. The club have earnt your trust and support during what will be a rough few years.
Feel for the new CEO who is going to have to sell all of this as his first public act of business. He's inheriting this, hope it isn't hung around his neck when it inevitably gets bumpy
Whilst it will be depressing for the next 3-4 years i think most supporters are happy with the club going through the rebuild now as we will have 3 good drafts to rebuild prior to tassie and with 5-6 top 20 picks this year and likely 4-5 top 30 next year which most likely looks like #1 & #19 we could have 10 picks inside 20 next 3 years and will be cashed up to go for free agents in the last year.
but hopefully we select the right players and rise up quick

I think the club is privately seething, this wasn't in their plans. However, you can't stop retirements or players wanting out.

You don't want to hold players at the club who no longer have their hearts in it, you have to do what gives the club the best outcome. If that means a mass list rebuild then so be it.

This isn't like anything we have seen before, not to this extent. Usually, teams might get a couple of 1st rounders and a couple of seconds to kick start their rebuild and then each year add new players. Richmond is about to hit the draft and grab a bunch of kids that usually takes 3 full seasons to acquire. I would not be surprised if we also try and obtain a few future picks next year.

This will be an interesting view over the next few seasons before Tassie comes.

I think the club is privately seething, this wasn't in their plans. However, you can't stop retirements or players wanting out.

You don't want to hold players at the club who no longer have their hearts in it, you have to do what gives the club the best outcome. If that means a mass list rebuild then so be it.

This isn't like anything we have seen before, not to this extent. Usually, teams might get a couple of 1st rounders and a couple of seconds to kick start their rebuild and then each year add new players. Richmond is about to hit the draft and grab a bunch of kids that usually takes 3 full seasons to acquire. I would not be surprised if we also try and obtain a few future picks next year.

I agree and to be honest the vibe at the club has been awful this whole year, so I don't think anyone is happy about the situation. But we have to adapt our plans as nothing's gone right since we got taranto and hopper.

If we run it back we'll be rubbish again next year and get half the return on some of these guys as we may get this period so have to be ruthless now. Having said that we shouldn't go overboard with the cut (i.e., other than the 4 guys who apparently want out we should keep everyone else)

I agree and to be honest the vibe at the club has been awful this whole year, so I don't think anyone is happy about the situation. But we have to adapt our plans as nothing's gone right since we got taranto and hopper.

If we run it back we'll be rubbish again next year and get half the return on some of these guys as we may get this period so have to be ruthless now. Having said that we shouldn't go overboard with the cut (i.e., other than the 4 guys who apparently want out we should keep everyone else)
If someone gave you a silly offer for Lynch, I'd strongly consider that, but otherwise agree

If someone gave you a silly offer for Lynch, I'd strongly consider that, but otherwise agree
Well yes, you always take the call, but I can't see a trade for Lynch making sense. We don't need his money off our books and will have heaps of picks, so if it's a pick it would need to be a first to make sense. Who is trading a first round pick for Lynch who has barely played 10 games in two years?

The supporters might be seething, but I'm sure the club itself is full of professionals who are mature enough to understand that the club's overall direction is changing and it is mutually beneficial for players and club to part ways. No need for any animosity at all. All the guys who are leaving were great servants, who'll be fondly remembered, welcomed back in the future and who are giving the club a leg up on the way out. Should be hugs and handshakes rather than seething

Well yes, you always take the call, but I can't see a trade for Lynch making sense. We don't need his money off our books and will have heaps of picks, so if it's a pick it would need to be a first to make sense. Who is trading a first round pick for Lynch who has barely played 10 games in two years?
You certainly might be right. I wouldn't offer a first if I were running a club.
What if it were two 2nd's, one in each of the next two drafts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back