Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The supporters might be seething, but I'm sure the club itself is full of professionals who are mature enough to understand that the club's overall direction is changing and it is mutually beneficial for players and club to part ways. No need for any animosity at all. All the guys who are leaving were great servants, who'll be fondly remembered, welcomed back in the future and who are giving the club a leg up on the way out. Should be hugs and handshakes rather than seething
100%

I think Yze would be seething, he didn't sign up for this. Personally, I'm a little excited by the prospect. This is how everyone would like their club to rebuild if they had a choice.

If they’re not careful they could be heading for a North like rebuild.

Trading all of Rioli, Baker, Bolton and possibly Lynch, ontop of Dusty, Grimes and Pickett retiring is a huge hole.

One that I think will cause many years of pain.
We're starting again basically. We have 5x top 30 picks from a couple of drafts ago, all have shown good promise of being long term AFL players, except one, Sonsie.

We'll probably have 5-7 kids come in this year, and I imagine again about 5 will be top 30 picks.

Very likely to have pick 1 again next year too, and probably additional top 30 picks if we trade into next year.

Yes, we are in for a few years of bottom 2 finishes, ideal time to do it before Tassie come in.

But we are not North, I am almost certain we will do this rebuild better and after a few years those kids will start to bring us up the ladder, in addition to the next trades and FAs we eventually pick up, because we're going to have a heap of cap room over the next few years.

100%

I think Yze would be seething, he didn't sign up for this. Personally, I'm a little excited by the prospect. This is how everyone would like their club to rebuild if they had a choice.
There's also a possibility Yze knew this was coming. Maybe this is the cleanout he wanted after year 1, but didn't want to come in and gut the list without seeing how it pans out firstly?

In that instance, I reckon we negotiate with Freo to get an extra later pick included, but Rioli will stay.

I think we will try and do the right thing when family are involved, but when its preference as in Rioli's trade then we will hold him to his contract if we can't get what we should and thats Pick 6. Rioli is a professional and would still front up and put in 100% for us next year. I suspect GC already know this and will eventually (they will make a bit of noise about it) but will eventually include Pick 6 in the deal.
Pick 6 doesn't have to be involved for a deal to get done that favours Richmond. I understand that is what Richmond fans want but it makes no sense for the Suns to give that pick up when they can use it themselves. You could literally ask for all of 13, 20 and 26 and I think you'd get them. I also think the Tigers will be able to turn such picks into something more valuable. Look at the bigger picture rather than one individual trade.

Pick 6 doesn't have to be involved for a deal to get done that favours Richmond. I understand that is what Richmond fans want but it makes no sense for the Suns to give that pick up when they can use it themselves. You could literally ask for all of 13, 20 and 26 and I think you'd get them. I also think the Tigers will be able to turn such picks into something more valuable. Look at the bigger picture rather than one individual trade.
With the best mids going in the first half a dozen picks. Pick 6 is what we want. Those later picks will come anyway with the Bolton, Baker trades and possible pick upgrades.

With the best mids going in the first half a dozen picks. Pick 6 is what we want. Those later picks will come anyway with the Bolton, Baker trades and possible pick upgrades.
What you want and what another team is willing to give up could be two different things. This is what I don't understand about what I've read from Richmond supporters. You're going to walk away from this trade period with a killer hand. You might even get 2-3 top 10 picks out of it. It just doesn't make sense for the Suns to be the ones to give you one of those picks. Different story if Lombard was higher up the board than he is.

If the Saints get band 1 compensation for Battle, I see that pick being as good as Richmond's because you'll be able to throw the kitchen sink at it. Combined with 9 from Freo, you'll be left with 1, 8, and 10 (9 sliding down one spot due to Battle compo). I don't know if I see any other club with a top 10 pick being willing to part with it this year.

There's also a possibility Yze knew this was coming. Maybe this is the cleanout he wanted after year 1, but didn't want to come in and gut the list without seeing how it pans out firstly?
Agreed. Unless he is completely delusional, he had to see the cliff approaching.
At some point, if you have a desire to be a senior coach, you have to take what job is available.
Most first year coaches are walking into pretty ordinary situations (which is why I am baffled by people suggesting WCE isn't a good job). Not many get to be be Chris Scott and inherit the keys to a Rolls Royce

You certainly might be right. I wouldn't offer a first if I were running a club.
What if it were two 2nd's, one in each of the next two drafts?
Personally I don't think that would be worth it. Keeping him has value in sheltering and teaching any KPPs we draft. If he left our only key forwards would be koschitske and lefau (who has played ~10 games and is coming back from an ACL) and we'd just get demolished. Having a reliable key forward is also important for developing mids as it gives them a target, rather than just bombing it in and watching it come straight back out. It also reduces the likelihood that Balta will keep being switched forward and back so we can keep some continuity in structure.

If Richmond demand that pick #7 then thats what it will be and dont forget its the suns that have to get the deal done not Richmond and they can turn these picks into something better as you say

Maybe pass the 3 picks to the eagles who need them more or use it in the Luko trade
#13 + Luko for pick #4

What you want and what another team is willing to give up could be two different things. This is what I don't understand about what I've read from Richmond supporters. You're going to walk away from this trade period with a killer hand. You might even get 2-3 top 10 picks out of it. It just doesn't make sense for the Suns to be the ones to give you one of those picks. Different story if Lombard was higher up the board than he is.

If the Saints get band 1 compensation for Battle, I see that pick being as good as Richmond's because you'll be able to throw the kitchen sink at it. Combined with 9 from Freo, you'll be left with 1, 8, and 10 (9 sliding down one spot due to Battle compo). I don't know if I see any other club with a top 10 pick being willing to part with it this year.

It really depends on how bad the suns want Rioli though. Rioli is contracted, Hardwick wouldn't be chasing Dan so hard if he knows the club is about to try and get him for less than what we would want.

Pick 6 going to us is more of a chance than it isn't. Suns won't care, they will still get Lombard and already have a tonne of young players, Hardwick wants good established players.

There is pain ahead but I they’ll be OK.

Assuming they get rid of the above - as well as Graham - they may still have all of…

Vlastuin
Prestia
Taranto
Short
Hopper
Balta
Nankervis
McIntosh
Broad

I think that’s ample experience and more than North ever had through their rebuild.

In 2020 North had Higgins, Goldstein, Tarrant, Cunnington, McDonald, Ziebell, Ben Brown, Anderson and Atley as mature AFL players.

It's really not much different. Especially since only Taranto, Short, Hopper and Balta are under 30. It could be absolutely bare bones in 18 months.

If they’re not careful they could be heading for a North like rebuild.

Trading all of Rioli, Baker, Bolton and possibly Lynch, ontop of Dusty, Grimes and Pickett retiring is a huge hole.

One that I think will cause many years of pain.
Still enough experience. Whoever wants out see ya later is my motto.

Why would the Saints consider giving up the Battle compo? I think they'd value taking that pick more than the Suns would theirs. I.e. the Saints get two bites at the higher end of an even draft, wheres the Suns will land their targets anyway. Plus they don't really need more talented kids, they need to develop what they already have access to into a good team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would the Saints consider giving up the Battle compo? I think they'd value taking that pick more than the Suns would theirs. I.e. the Saints get two bites at the higher end of an even draft, wheres the Suns will land their targets anyway. Plus they don't really need more talented kids, they need to develop what they already have access to into a good team.
I don't know the Saints targets but if they like two kids at 7 & 8, you're right. If their targets are a bit lower, having two consecutive picks is a solid position to generate more picks from. All I'm getting at is they could afford to move one of those picks and will still have one, so they're not missing out.

I'm not 100% sold on that idea

It is a very good draft to have 5-6 picks in the top 30 though

For once it is feeling like a perfect storm (in our favour). We have the sentimental factor of Rioli reuniting with Dimma and Gold Coast are always flush with picks. We have Baker and Bolton wanting WA with Freo having a bunch of good picks to trade with and on the cusp of taking the next step. We are bottom so if a deak doesn't get done, we can just redraft Baker.

In terms of rebuilds this is a good launching point, if these blokes all retired we would get nothing and it's not like they are young key position players wanting out.

For once it is feeling like a perfect storm (in our favour). We have the sentimental factor of Rioli reuniting with Dimma and Gold Coast are always flush with picks. We have Baker and Bolton wanting WA with Freo having a bunch of good picks to trade with and on the cusp of taking the next step. We are bottom so if a deak doesn't get done, we can just redraft Baker.

In terms of rebuilds this is a good launching point, if these blokes all retired we would get nothing and it's not like they are young key position players wanting out.
Yeah there's definitely a few nice to have type players under contract that you can sell off for picks so there's a pretty good alignment

Agree. Plus we are going to be miles under 95% of cap so if it takes contributing a few $ over the next few years to get better picks in trades, then that can be accommodated. After the 2022 trade stuff ups, this is Richmond”s best shot for a quality rebuild.

Call me mad but I’m excited by what’s happening. Sure there will be pain the next 2-3 years but if we held onto these blokes would we have been good enough to challenge again or just be a middling team that picks up the occasional win every few weeks?
This supercharges our rebuild, we are gonna have a draft bounty akin to an expansion club. And we’ll only add to that over the next 2 years before we can pillage other clubs with a war chest in 3-4 years time.
Just gonna enjoy watching some super talented kids play over the next few years.

Call me mad but I’m excited by what’s happening. Sure there will be pain the next 2-3 years but if we held onto these blokes would we have been good enough to challenge again or just be a middling team that picks up the occasional win every few weeks?
This supercharges our rebuild, we are gonna have a draft bounty akin to an expansion club. And we’ll only add to that over the next 2 years before we can pillage other clubs with a war chest in 3-4 years time.
Just gonna enjoy watching some super talented kids play over the next few years.

Totally agree. Take each case in isolation. Rioli, possible his best footy is behind him and he will play at the level of slowly decline over the next few years. Bolton, won't see the best of him as we can't create the opportunities he thrives on right now. Baker, I'd expect him to more maintain this level however I think it does open up the door for another player to cement their spot.

We are also very likely ely to get overs for them compared to if we had not come off the dynasty years. Does anyone think Gold Coast would pay as much if Dan wasn't a triple premiership player? Same with Bolton and Baker being premiership players it really does add to their value given the environment they have been in.

I feel like it also fully allows us to embrace that we are in Year 1, the players that we will bring in through the draft will understand they are part of the blue print to bring us back to the top. It's an exciting time for sure and completely different to recent periods with say North and Melbourne when they used to get flogged every week with no real leadership there.

Totally agree. Take each case in isolation. Rioli, possible his best footy is behind him and he will play at the level of slowly decline over the next few years. Bolton, won't see the best of him as we can't create the opportunities he thrives on right now. Baker, I'd expect him to more maintain this level however I think it does open up the door for another player to cement their spot.

We are also very likely ely to get overs for them compared to if we had not come off the dynasty years. Does anyone think Gold Coast would pay as much if Dan wasn't a triple premiership player? Same with Bolton and Baker being premiership players it really does add to their value given the environment they have been in.

I feel like it also fully allows us to embrace that we are in Year 1, the players that we will bring in through the draft will understand they are part of the blue print to bring us back to the top. It's an exciting time for sure and completely different to recent periods with say North and Melbourne when they used to get flogged every week with no real leadership there.
Much easier to start a rebuild with 3 flags in the back pocket as opposed to other clubs rebuilds.
Most tiger fans feel the same I think. How exciting is draft night gonna be?!

and just like the expansion clubs every club in the land will be eyeing off your young players after one or two seasons trying to convince them to leave. Good luck retaining them if you win two games a year and get flogged in the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back