Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

and just like the expansion clubs every club in the land will be eyeing off your young players after one or two seasons trying to convince them to leave. Good luck retaining them if you win two games a year and get flogged in the rest.
Very different to an expansion club. We’ll be the one pillaging other clubs in 3 years time with a huge war chest! This is Richmond remember, not some franchise from Sydney or Queensland.

Very different to an expansion club. We’ll be the one pillaging other clubs in 3 years time with a huge war chest! This is Richmond remember, not some franchise from Sydney or Queensland.

Especially if we go harder this year (year 1} let's say we can do 4 picks within the first 25 and then 3 in the next draft (year 2) within the first 25. You would think that we would be starting to show good signs year 4 and another jump in year 5 that the players won't have to be in a heavily losing team for too long. It's actually a reasonable result as we will get decent value for the guys that leave and we have some coverage on the list already for their positions however we definitely will want to see improvement and upgrades in future.

If it were guys like Balta, Miller, Macaullife, Ross, Ralphsmith wanting out I would say its much worse due to the development we have put in and the fact their best footy is more likely ahead of them.

Especially if we go harder this year (year 1} let's say we can do 4 picks within the first 25 and then 3 in the next draft (year 2) within the first 25. You would think that we would be starting to show good signs year 4 and another jump in year 5 that the players won't have to be in a heavily losing team for too long. It's actually a reasonable result as we will get decent value for the guys that leave and we have some coverage on the list already for their positions however we definitely will want to see improvement and upgrades in future.

If it were guys like Balta, Miller, Macaullife, Ross, Ralphsmith wanting out I would say its much worse due to the development we have put in and the fact their best footy is more likely ahead of them.
I would suggest we go harder than that

Richmond will have 6-7 picks inside 30 this year and most likely finish last in 2025 so another pick #1 + #19 organic picks
Then we also have Noah Balta as a free agent with teams coming for him with 7 year $9 million deals which would guarantee Band 1 pick #2 so picks #1 +#2 + #20 as well as what we can deal into next year with picks #21 +#22 from the 2024 draft. Will be sh!t to lose Balta but just cant pass up the 2 Gun kids in the draft whilst trading out cap space for another top 10 pick

Pick #1 Dyson Sharp ( Beast inside mid 190cm)
Pick # 2 Archie Ludowyke (185cm KPF)

I would suggest we go harder than that

Richmond will have 6-7 picks inside 30 this year and most likely finish last in 2025 so another pick #1 + #19 organic picks
Then we also have Noah Balta as a free agent with teams coming for him with 7 year $9 million deals which would guarantee Band 1 pick #2 so picks #1 +#2 + #20 as well as what we can deal into next year with picks #21 +#22 from the 2024 draft. Will be sh!t to lose Balta but just cant pass up the 2 Gun kids in the draft whilst trading out cap space for another top 10 pick

Pick #1 Dyson Sharp ( Beast inside mid 190cm)
Pick # 2 Archie Ludowyke (185cm KPF)

I would hate to lose Balta, however if some lunatic list manager offer him a 9 year deal then I would think we would need to consider letting him go.

I would hate to lose Balta, however if some lunatic list manager offer him a 9 year deal then I would think we would need to consider letting him go.
Its a 7 year $9 million deal $1,285,000 a year
He would play the last year of the contract as a 32 year old

I love Balta but with where Richmond will be at end of next year and having a player like Ludowyke on the plate i would begrudgingly allow him to leave and take the compo #2

The timing just way to good to go past with Sharp & Ludowyke after bringing in 6 1st rounders this year

Richmond could end up with 8 picks inside 30
1,21,29 already and ad in Rioli , Baker , Bolton , Graham
Not sure that Graham is relevant to that discussion.
Interesting to see how the picks are distributed between this years and next years drafts. They’re in a great spot either way, just got to make the right selections now. If you hit on half of them, that’ll be a good foundation

Not sure that Graham is relevant to that discussion.
Interesting to see how the picks are distributed between this years and next years drafts. They’re in a great spot either way, just got to make the right selections now. If you hit on half of them, that’ll be a good foundation
Focus will have to be this year with atleast 6 and probably 7 players taken this year with the list spots that will be available

Thinking ahead richmond will be $1,01 favorites to finish last and have #1 + #19
Then you have Noah Balta free agent that will get offers $1.1 plus so its a very good possibility he goes due to the top 3 kids next years draft.

#21 & #22 (graham compo if band 3) will be looked at for trades into 1st round in 2025 and both picks could get #14-#18 range 1st rounders each with the depth of this years draft and teams wanting back in

I think we still get 4 picks inside 20 if we finish last in 25 and will have 5 this year inside 20 and 7 inside 30
12 players in 2 years

Is Balta really worth that? I have him as a similar level to McKay, if not a touch lower, who in every other year would have got band 2
LOL he is miles ahead of Mckay, even if you dont agree on ability alone, his flexibility makes it a non argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a 7 year $9 million deal $1,285,000 a year
He would play the last year of the contract as a 32 year old

I love Balta but with where Richmond will be at end of next year and having a player like Ludowyke on the plate i would begrudgingly allow him to leave and take the compo #2

The timing just way to good to go past with Sharp & Ludowyke after bringing in 6 1st rounders this year

I agree with this and I'm sure the masses won't. I just think you have to be so smart with these long term contracts and the timing of them. Look at Hawks, becoming a destination club again and are looking at getting Battle and Barass in for probably a touch less than what they could get elsewhere because they are on looking like being on the verge of success.

No one on the list is irreplaceable and depending on your list build strategy, it's acceptable for a KPF to go if you are bottom 2 and looking like getting pick 2 or 3 in return.

Yeah keeping Balta is ideal, but if half of his deal he is playing with a midfield of Dow, Sonsie and Graham, I think we are wasting him.

Balta's a Richmond man for life.
Not anymore

Nobody is a club man for life anymore and this will get worse

Norf are going to come hard for him and we would be mad to keep him if the kid Ludowyke develops like he is
15 year gun KPF you just dont pass up and that will also allow us to trade out cap space next year for another top 10 pick

I no longer have the connection to any individual player after Dusty

Just curious. Considering that TPP goes up by 3.2 M across 3 years and the exodus of players on high salaries, how will Tigers actually satisfy min 95%?

I guess, some players on the list get rich. Front-ended contracts. Obviously, Tigers would be also happy to pay part of salaries of players leaving.

But the created space in TPP seems staggering considering TPP increase and players leaving.

Just curious. Considering that TPP goes up by 3.2 M across 3 years and the exodus of players on high salaries, how will Tigers actually satisfy min 95%?

I guess, some players on the list get rich. Front-ended contracts. Obviously, Tigers would be also happy to pay part of salaries of players leaving.

But the created space in TPP seems staggering considering TPP increase and players leaving.
Could very much see us being open to salary dumps of the Bowes type situation or doing something like trading Tom Lynch and paying his salary if it facilitates a first round pick for teams that feel they're in the window and were wanting to roll the dice. Especially over the next three or four years while going to the draft.

After that, you'd assume that some of the kids would be warranting more than their rookie scale deals or alternatively you pursue a Hawthorn type model where you're targeting good free agents as you're starting to make strides back up the ladder.

I reckon that this year we pay a lot fo the salaries of players leaving and get picks back/better picks. Maybe similar next year. front load contracts etc. Then as we improve FAs open up and we can go shopping with a good amount in the bank.

We will pay 50% Dan Rioli salary
We will pay 50% Shai bolton Salary
We can also pay 75% of Tom Lynch salary

Its all about buying picks

Also cap space trading will come in and can buy pick #7 for $400k a year

and just like the expansion clubs every club in the land will be eyeing off your young players after one or two seasons trying to convince them to leave. Good luck retaining them if you win two games a year and get flogged in the rest.
Bit different than the expansion clubs mate...

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back