Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

and just like the expansion clubs every club in the land will be eyeing off your young players after one or two seasons trying to convince them to leave. Good luck retaining them if you win two games a year and get flogged in the rest.
Bit different when the majority of the top 30 are Victorians. Richmond's not a bad spot to live if you're a young man with all your school mates living in the city, and now with a lot of money. Don't think they'll be getting poached fella

I’m the We hold the Queensland clubs Johnson in our hands…

GIF by Breaking Bad

Pick 6 doesn't have to be involved for a deal to get done that favours Richmond. I understand that is what Richmond fans want but it makes no sense for the Suns to give that pick up when they can use it themselves. You could literally ask for all of 13, 20 and 26 and I think you'd get them. I also think the Tigers will be able to turn such picks into something more valuable. Look at the bigger picture rather than one individual trade.

But the thing that you miss, is we don't have to sell. Dan will come back and perform as he as always done if it doesn't work out.

Tiges don't need mid teens picks, you take 13, 20 and 26 and project what you think they might be when academies / father sons and compo picks get added and its not such an attractive deal even getting all of those. We (like West Coast) need top end quality, not a spattering of mid first and second rounders, hence we need more top 10 picks.

Who in the top 10 is going to trade out for those picks? I'd love to know. Would West Coast? North a maybe, but they'd still need a top 10 included. Melbourne maybe. West Coast won't, Adelaide won't, Freo are probably trading theirs to us for Bolton, so who do we trade up with? More likely is we end up with more picks than we need, and not the high end picks we want. We can trade into teens picks with our later picks / future picks, with either Brisbane, or Gold Coast (for the picks you say we should accept for Rioli).

Maybe it will be a stand off, but for as many reasons as you say that GC want to keep their Pick 6, we want Pick 6 in exchange.

The Richmond recruiters would want to nail all these picks given how much experience is heading out the door.

For Richmond supporters sanity, you'd want to hope they don't pick the Fisher McAsey, Dylan Stephens, Chase Jones, TT, Will Phillips, DGB, Zach Reid types of the top 10! Be so funny if they did though!

No pressure Richmond recruiters, I'm completely unaware if you're any good at this game as you've mostly flown under the radar

The Richmond recruiters would want to nail all these picks given how much experience is heading out the door.

For Richmond supporters sanity, you'd want to hope they don't pick the Fisher McAsey, Dylan Stephens, Chase Jones, TT, Will Phillips, DGB, Zach Reid types of the top 10! Be so funny if they did though!

No pressure Richmond recruiters, I'm completely unaware if you're any good at this game as you've mostly flown under the radar
Wow. Richmond would want to pick well.

Such insight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the thing that you miss, is we don't have to sell. Dan will come back and perform as he as always done if it doesn't work out.

Tiges don't need mid teens picks, you take 13, 20 and 26 and project what you think they might be when academies / father sons and compo picks get added and its not such an attractive deal even getting all of those. We (like West Coast) need top end quality, not a spattering of mid first and second rounders, hence we need more top 10 picks.

Who in the top 10 is going to trade out for those picks? I'd love to know. Would West Coast? North a maybe, but they'd still need a top 10 included. Melbourne maybe. West Coast won't, Adelaide won't, Freo are probably trading theirs to us for Bolton, so who do we trade up with? More likely is we end up with more picks than we need, and not the high end picks we want. We can trade into teens picks with our later picks / future picks, with either Brisbane, or Gold Coast (for the picks you say we should accept for Rioli).

Maybe it will be a stand off, but for as many reasons as you say that GC want to keep their Pick 6, we want Pick 6 in exchange.
I understand what you want but you'll find trading partners for your lower picks. If anything, you'll probably get overs on a bunch of lower picks and unders to trade up with someone else.

Apparently this draft is lacking in truly elite prospects but has great depth into 20s and 30s. So if there's any year where you want multiple mid teens picks over one high one, it's this year.

Apparently this draft is lacking in truly elite prospects but has great depth into 20s and 30s. So if there's any year where you want multiple mid teens picks over one high one, it's this year.

We'll likely already have those teens picks etc, so it comes down to volumes of picks. We'd still want to be coming out of the draft with probably 3 top 10 picks. Our own, Pick 9 from Freo, and Pick 6 from GC.

We would back ourselves in to be able to satisfy at least 1 of Brisbane or GC for their teens picks and if we've added 17 with the Bolton trade, then we already would have a healthy number of picks without even thinking about what we get for Baker and Graham.

I understand what you want but you'll find trading partners for your lower picks. If anything, you'll probably get overs on a bunch of lower picks and unders to trade up with someone else.

For teen picks yes. If its so easy to trade into another top 10, let GC do it with 13, 20 and 26 and then we'll have that pick.

Nailing picks isn’t assured, however as we all know the odds increase in each lower round. Additionally, let’s be honest regarding how many drafts assist a rebuild. The Tiges will add talent over the next 2-3 years which is no different to our dynasty.
In each of the next two years I can’t see us not having the No1 pick, that’s potentially 3 No1 picks and a host of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks depending on how we use a cache this year. In fact I can see a number of this years picks traded out into future years!!

Last edited:
We'll likely already have those teens picks etc, so it comes down to volumes of picks. We'd still want to be coming out of the draft with probably 3 top 10 picks. Our own, Pick 9 from Freo, and Pick 6 from GC.

We would back ourselves in to be able to satisfy at least 1 of Brisbane or GC for their teens picks and if we've added 17 with the Bolton trade, then we already would have a healthy number of picks without even thinking about what we get for Baker and Graham.
Interestingly, this article discusses the possibility of the Tigers getting picks 6, 9 and 10, then trading 6 and one of 9 and 10 to North for pick 2. Depends how big the desire for top end talent is is I guess. Since both Jagga Smith and Finn O'Sullivan have played for the VFL team, maybe the Tigers would want both of them?

The Suns are not getting bullied by a club threatening to bid and cost them pick 39 points value.

Just think about that shall we.

They paid pick 2 for Weller. They wouldnt give a rats arse about pick 39 would they?

It’s not about bullying .. it’s about negotiating. I’m sure when two parties sit down and discuss what’s on the table everything is considered. Richmond offering not to bid on Lombard would be an example of that. If you don’t think there is value in that, then I’m sorry.

It’s not about bullying .. it’s about negotiating. I’m sure when two parties sit down and discuss what’s on the table everything is considered. Richmond offering not to bid on Lombard would be an example of that. If you don’t think there is value in that, then I’m sorry.
Are you seriously suggesting that Tigers would put on negotiating table bidding on Lombard at pick 1? Surely not. Am I missing something?

Firstly what you are describing is not allowed under AFL trading guidelines. That is well known.

That is not to say clubs don't talk off the record with a wink and a knudge.

However if you really think the Suns are going to pushed around or influenced because of a veiled pick 39 penalty. Then I too am sorry.

You are totally overstating the points value of pick 39 to the Suns in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
Are you seriously suggesting that Tigers would put on negotiating table bidding on Lombard at pick 1? Surely not. Am I missing something?
I think the Suns call Richmond's bluff and Lombard becomes a Tiger if that were the case. Much better for the Suns to use 6, 13 and 20 than be bullied into a bad deal for Rioli and Lombard. I don't think Richmond does it either when their next pick is likely at 9 as they likely miss all of their targets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back