Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I get that it sucks to lose good players, but given how many first round selections we have gotten wrong, the fact that we are going to turn guys like Rioli (Pick 15), Bolton (Pick 29) and Baker (Rookie draft) into selections well beyond what we paid for them, atleast we have a chance to nail a few early ones and rebuild with high end draft quality rather than just relying on getting lucky with speculative guys late in the draft and the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think Snuff?

I look at past pick 10s and would take 3 of the last 4.
Yes to Caddy, Flanders, Phillipou. No to Zac Reid.

Will the talent be superior to those three or are we pumping up the kids again like we do every year?

Pick 10 though will realistically be pick 13 after Ashcroft, Lombard and Saints Compo...

I don't think 9&10 for Bolton and 500k/salary paid is too much to expect given that translates to actual picks 13&14.

What do you think Snuff?

I look at past pick 10s and would take 3 of the last 4.
Yes to Caddy, Flanders, Phillipou. No to Zac Reid.

Will the talent be superior to those three or are we pumping up the kids again like we do every year?
I agree on the pumping things up but I legit don't remember a time where I've heard so much about everyone wanting to trade into this one. Like, we have talk of a perenial bottom 2 team trading a F1 for pick 9

I think draft picks do have different values depending on the draft and Freo have lucked into one where 7ish to 14ish have more value than normal. It's probably half the reason Boltons even gettable.

Just confirming then that pick 10 is more valuable than normal?
All picks are more valuable but top 6/7 are the prized picks
Its going to be nice to watch this trade period

9 & 10 = Shai Bolton with $300k salary contribution x 4 years
9 & 16 = Shai Bolton on his own

which are you taking

All picks are more valuable but top 6/7 are the prized picks
Its going to be nice to watch this trade period

9 & 10 = Shai Bolton with $300k salary contribution x 4 years
9 & 16 = Shai Bolton on his own

which are you taking
It's tough as a supporter, the salary is an intangible, it doesn't feel nice. I'd really love a pick 10 at this draft. There's 5 names there I'd be ecstatic with.

It's tough as a supporter, the salary is an intangible, it doesn't feel nice. I'd really love a pick 10 at this draft. There's 5 names there I'd be ecstatic with.
Yes well we all want that but as with Richmond back in the dynasty years the cap runs out quickly (doesnt matter how large it is) and you start losing players and lose your depth as fremantle will see in 3-4 years time.

The cap is the main killer that drags clubs down unless you are geelong and player can but farms cheap and sell cattle for 3/4 times the market rate

Yes well we all want that but as with Richmond back in the dynasty years the cap runs out quickly (doesnt matter how large it is) and you start losing players and lose your depth as fremantle will see in 3-4 years time.

The cap is the main killer that drags clubs down unless you are geelong and player can but farms cheap and sell cattle for 3/4 times the market rate
It's too nuanced as a casual nuffy. I dont know the full cap and other player situation to know for sure what is better. I think both your suggestions are reasonable - though I expect more resistance from other Freo supporters

I would say 3 years hitting the draft in the bottom 4
24,25,26 In 25 & 26 we should be looking to purchase 1st round picks for cap space
in 26 will start hunting free agents

Richmond will struggle to pay 90% cap space even if we pay 50% of Rioli & Bolton salaries

Surely we are using the cap space to pay off most of Hopper and Taranto's contracts early. Can mean the last 3 years they are virtually on no money. Now that can backfire if one of them hits form at the end of 4 years, they could try and leave and get paid again by another club, but Id still do it anyway.

It's too nuanced as a casual nuffy. I dont know the full cap and other player situation to know for sure what is better. I think both your suggestions are reasonable - though I expect more resistance from other Freo supporters
True

Supporters want unconditional wins in every trade and are emotional
The clubs look longer term and sustainability as well as list balance thats what makes AFL teams unique
draft picks are over rated and we are all excited about pick numbers but end of the day anything after pick 5 is really just another kid that will take 3-4 years to be the the product we hope he becomes.

Freo are in a 5 /6 year window and whilst the list is young and should have longer the cap will catch them so they need to get the flag/s in the window and anything more is a bonus.

But you are doing the deal now , which you taking
9 & 10 with 25% salary contribution
9 & 16 with no contribution

Surely we are using the cap space to pay off most of Hopper and Taranto's contracts early. Can mean the last 3 years they are virtually on no money. Now that can backfire if one of them hits form at the end of 4 years, they could try and leave and get paid again by another club, but Id still do it anyway.
Grimes , Dusty , Shai , Baker , Graham , Pickett thats nearly $5 mil off the cap just in departures just this year
Cap also goes up in 2025 by $4 mil (i think roughly)
Lynch last year in 25 also

Who are we going to pay with 7-10 mil excess in 2025/26

But you are doing the deal now , which you taking
9 & 10 with 25% salary contribution
9 & 16 with no contribution
Haha, I cant give you an answer on this no matter how times you ask. There's 50 intangibles I dont know that impact the decision. In a vaccum, 9 and 16 because 16 seems to be missing on the players that would interest me in the draft (it misses Berry and Twomey then has like 5 talls I have no interest in)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back