AFLW Richmond All things AFLW 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Imogen Brown joins AFLW Tigers​

Richmond has signed Imogen Brown as a replacement player for the upcoming AFLW season.

Richmond is delighted to have added explosive midfielder/forward Imogen Brown to its list ahead of the 2024 AFLW season.

Brown joins the Club as a replacement player following Katelyn Cox’s season-ending knee injury.

The 19-year-old joins Richmond via the Sydney Swans Academy and Sydney’s VFLW team.

Brown averaged 13.5 disposals per game this year while playing for the Swans at VFLW level, catching the eye with her speed, running ability, and link-up play.

The dasher also averaged 21 disposals and eight tackles and booted five goals across four matches for Sydney’s Coates League team earlier this year.

Brown was particularly dominant against Gippsland Power, where she racked up 27 disposals and kicked two goals.

The long-time member of the Sydney Swans Academy also represented Australia and New South Wales in Oztag, a form of touch rugby league that fellow tiger Maddie Shevlin also excelled in as a junior.

Richmond AFLW Recruiting Manager Trent Mosbey said that Brown was “quick and explosive” and added that she displays dynamic movement.

“Imogen can accelerate away from congestion and run and carry the ball,” he added.

“She applies high pressure around the ball with her competitive nature, repeat efforts, tackling execution, and defensive pressure.

“Imogen also has very clean hands inside the contest. We believe there is an enormous amount of upside in her game.”

The New South Welshwoman laid 11 tackles for the Allies against Victoria Metro in a recent National Championships match, highlighting her appetite for the contest.

Richmond has had great success with replacement players on the list, with Bethany Lynch, Amelia Peck, and Charli Wicksteed joining the Club through the same mechanism.

Brown will join the Tigers’ football program immediately.

I have a great feeling about this season
Looking Good Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/07/17/yellow-and-black-for-the-new-brown/

RICHMOND has made a signing 45 days out from its AFL Women’s season opener, naming Sydney Swans Academy over-ager Imogen Brown as the club’s newest recruit. Brown will add some serious speed to the Tigers’ lineup, replacing the injured Katelyn Cox who went down with a season-ending knee injury.

A revelation for the red and white this season, Brown had no less than 17 disposals playing as a midfielder/forward for the Swans Academy. She played four games, kicking a goal in each of her Coates Talent League Girls outings, with her defensive pressure on show averaging 7.5 tackles.

Brown had two 20-plus disposal performances including a 27-disposal, nine-tackle, three-inside 50 and two-goal game against Gippsland Power which really put her on club radars. Brown also got her VFLW opportunity for the Swans, where she averaged 13.5 disposals and 2.5 marks.

What stands out about Brown’s game is her speed and work rate across the field, linking up well through multiple possessions within a passage. Her contest-to-contest work and balance of offensive and defensive attributes at junior level really came to the fore.

Brown also made the Allies’ squad for the 2024 AFL Women’s Under 18 Championships, where she picked up 11 disposals, four clearances, two inside 50s and two rebound 50s, while also laying 11 tackles. She laid claim to the first score of the national carnival, kicking a behind from a set shot.

PROFILE IN A NUTSHELL
STRENGTHS: Speed, defensive pressure, clean hands, work rate, competitiveness, upside
IMPROVEMENTS: Fundamentals, Skills

There will be no excuses for not making finals this year, as we only play Geelong, Melbourne & Collingwood as the top listed teams. If we don't make finals, we will be hard pressed to be able to make it in future seasons with the draw this season.

There will be no excuses for not making finals this year, as we only play Geelong, Melbourne & Collingwood as the top listed teams. If we don't make finals, we will be hard pressed to be able to make it in future seasons with the draw this season.
It's a bit harder than that. Opponents include:

North Melbourne (Grand finalist)
Geelong (Prelim finalist)
Melbourne (Semi finalist)
Sydney (Semi finalist)
Essendon (Elim finalist)

None of those are easy games, bearing in mind the location for the matches against Melb, Syd and Ess (Casey Fields, Coffs Harbour and Darwin).

All evidence to date suggests Ellie McKenzie is the difference between missing and making top 8 (and/or better). If she gets injured again, it'll probably be another tough year. But she'll be 22 and Conti 25 by season's end... the odds of moving up the ladder are only going to increase over the next 5-8 years.

Sydney (Semi finalist)
Essendon (Elim finalist)

None of those are easy games, bearing in mind the location for the matches against Melb, Syd and Ess (Casey Fields, Coffs Harbour and Darwin).

All evidence to date suggests Ellie McKenzie is the difference between missing and making top 8 (and/or better). If she gets injured again, it'll probably be another tough year. But she'll be 22 and Conti 25 by season's end... the odds of moving up the ladder are only going to increase over the next 5-8 years.
I dunno every year they move closer to their prime is another year that Brennan is moving away from hers

Sydney (Semi finalist)
Essendon (Elim finalist)

I dunno every year they move closer to their prime is another year that Brennan is moving away from hers
Yet to have a really top year from McKenzie insofar as her potential is concerned. A strong year from Tess Lavey would be a massive bonus. The list is getting some decent size about it too, Greiser, McKinnon, even Imogen Brown is a tough unit. McClelland slated for midfield time and it starts to look like a bigger, tougher side. These girls are all 23 or younger (Greiser 25). So the profile looks OK. More pressure goes on the smalls to get around them and feast.

Oppo's waltzed out of our Fwd 50 most of the year with insufficient pressure put on that part of our game. With the exception of Yassir, we are not that quick up fwd and relied too much on the mids getting up in the face and then getting back to help out. If Ferg can solve that, we'll be playing finals again.

Last edited:

Sydney (Semi finalist)
Essendon (Elim finalist)

I don't see in the draw that we play Nth Melbourne. Sydney & Essendon had an armchair ride into the finals last year due to an easier draw. Even though you still need to win the games to get there. I just think that we have an easier draw than we have had in previous seasons. Like most teams it will also be dependent of having as many personnel available to play the season & not hampered by injury.

I don't see in the draw that we play Nth Melbourne.
The North game is Round 5 on a Sunday, with both teams backing up from midweek fixtures.

Every club has a round where they play 2 games within a few days during school holidays.

Yet to have a really top year from McKenzie insofar as her potential is concerned. A strong year from Tess Lavey would be a massive bonus. The list is getting some decent size about it too, Greiser, McKinnon, even Imogen Brown is a tough unit. McClelland slated for midfield time and it starts to look like a bigger, tougher side. These girls are all 23 or younger (Greiser 25). So the profile looks OK. More pressure goes on the smalls to get around them and feast.

Oppo's waltzed out of our Fwd 50 most of the year with insufficient pressure put on that part of our game. With the exception of Yassir, we are not that quick up fwd and relied too much on the mids getting up in the face and then getting back to help out. If Ferg can solve that, we'll be playing finals again.
Coxy might have been moved forward to help with her speed and pressure, Mackenzie Ford an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo an upgrade on coxy , looks like we have some depth and more pace , reckon if we can have some luck on the health side , we will go ok
Funny lad, imo (in my opinion / imogen). Yeah, think she will be an upgrade too - Imo looks like she at least gets the ball, that was Coxy's biggest challenge. Plus Imo is bigger bodied and may well become on ball in time.

Funny lad, imo (in my opinion / imogen). Yeah, think she will be an upgrade too - Imo looks like she at least gets the ball, that was Coxy's biggest challenge. Plus Imo is bigger bodied and may well become on ball in time.
Injuries cost us last year and our depth was shite , with a focus on runners and the 2 x gws recruits look half decent depth has improved . The crows recruit McKinnon if she delivers could be a genuine difference maker , I think we have reason to be optimistic

The highlights I’ve seen of Brown are of her in space or bursting to space, a bounce and a run.
I thought Cox was/is a reliable small def and a defender first. 90% game time with few possessions but don’t remeber her ever being soundly beaten.
I think Isobel Bacon might get a run in her spot.
172, def pressure one of her strengths apparently.
Played 11 games for Sandringham Dragons, B/F and Mid ave 7.5 tackles a game
Ran 20mtr in 3.16 and just under 8min in the 2k.
Pretty impressive.

The highlights I’ve seen of Brown are of her in space or bursting to space, a bounce and a run.
I thought Cox was/is a reliable small def and a defender first. 90% game time with few possessions but don’t remeber her ever being soundly beaten.
Pretty impressive.
Yep plenty of pace thought she might have been a bit small to play early but now think she’ll be ok

Pretty impressive.
Agree, if VFLW is anything to go by then Isobel bacon may be plying her trade as a defender/mid, certainly has the assets for it. Likewise Mackenzie Ford probably preferred as a pressure forward.

Imogen Brown has played both as a forward and as a mid, also playing both positions in her most recent game for the Allies. Like Isobel Bacon, Imogen Brown is also an elite athlete, she ran a 20mtr in 3.118 in 2023, the best of the 2023 Swans girls academy and a 8.54 in Agility, also their best. If she had of attended last years national combine, these would have been the 2nd best 20m, and the 7th best agility times nationally.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2023/02/22/2023-preseason-testing-top-10s-swans-academy/

Last edited:
Imogen Brown

Born: 03/03/2005

Club: Sydney Swans Academy / UTS Bats

Height: 175cm

Nickname: Immy

Position: Midfield

Model my game on: Laura Gardiner

Mantra/motto: To get better at every opportunity I get

What do you want to get out of the National Championships: To challenge myself/learn new things and to play consistent good footy whilst enjoying playing with new teammates.

Imogen Brown

Born: 03/03/2005

Club: Sydney Swans Academy / UTS Bats

Height: 175cm

Nickname: Immy

Position: Midfield

Model my game on: Laura Gardiner

Mantra/motto: To get better at every opportunity I get

What do you want to get out of the National Championships: To challenge myself/learn new things and to play consistent good footy whilst enjoying playing with new teammates.
Pretty tall for W , 175

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Richmond All things AFLW 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back