Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, he showed some nice athleticism at the champs, my problem with the pick is that I just feel like he doesn't provide anything amazing, and he'll be behind other young guys who are also vying for a spot as well. I don't think he puts extra pressure on guys like Astbury or Elton given they already have pressure on themselves due to the fact that they can't get a gig in the seniors. I'd rather Richmond draft someone like Franetic who hasn't been taken, he's got some dash, decentish foot skills and endurance. You can't ask much out of a pick 50 in this draft but there seems to be less guys on the list like Franetic than Harvey.

I haven't picked Harvey to be amazing, I've picked him to be a consistent player for us week to week and with further development I believe that he'll be that for us. As you said above he has some athleticism and other write ups on him suggest that he is extremely coachable and willing to do the hard yards to get the most out of himself.

As for going for the smaller medium/small blokes, I had plenty in mind for this pick and 68. The problem is that some of them have already been taken, while the others aren't as needed as a tall is at this pick. I can always take one of these if they are available still or some of the others I have in mind to add to the plethora of small/mediums that we already have, although at this stage I'm not sure that is the way I'm going to go.

Should've picked Riley Knight, oh well. :p :D

Not really interested in undersized midfielders, before you mention Byrne-Jones I see him as more of a small defender than a midfielder at this stage.

Pick #58 - Fremantle
Player -Joel Tippett
Height -197cm Weight -96kgs 25 yo

Its all about here and now for the Fremantle Football Club, This is there time and their opportunity to finally take home the flag. Fremantle has had their dress rehearsal in 2013 and found out a few things about what is required to win the big game and have brought in Colin Sylvia & Scott Gumbleton which looks to be the missing links provided they can both deliver as expected.

What Fremantle is missing in my view is another quality backman that can take on the Franklin,Tippett,Cloke,Hawkins of this world
Freo currently have Zac Dawson 197cm 93kgs 28yo, Luke McFarlane 192cm 91kgs 32yo ,Michael Johnston 195 88kgs 29 yo as KPD along with a couple of kids who are not anywhere near ready both Physically and experience . The last thing they will want is to head into another grand final and have Dawson or McPharlin not available.

Joel Tippett is a ready to go Plug & Play Full Back / CHB that has had AFL experience and was not ready at the time and has gone back to the sanfl to apply his trade with fantastic results and Shown he is ready for another shot at AFL level.

Joel's testing at the combine was just amazing for such a big man and cant go unnoticed
Agility- 8.00 secs (2nd)
20m Sprint -- 2.92 secs (3rd)
Standing Vertical Jump - 79cm (1st)
Running Vertical Jump - 95cm (1st)
30m Repeat Sprints - 25.01 (2nd)

There are probably only 4-5 teams that i would of selected Joel Tippett for and the 1st of these teams that he suits is by far the fremantle Football Club combined with the Ross Lyon Coaching and Game Plan im certain that Joel will get the best out of himself and will make his 3rd opportunity count.

I thought considerably about waiting until freo's next selection but had to pull the trigger at #57 as since the start of this thread knew that he was a priority and dint want to miss out due to Joel Tippett/FFC Being such a perfect fit.

Very Happy with this selection

He's 180cm, there's plenty of midfielders that height!

Also only 72kg and given Foley is the only player on our list under 80kg(79kg) it's fair to say that skinny kids like him Byrne Jones and the other skinny rakes aren't what we're looking for.

Still have the pick available I initially wanted to take at 47. Good.

You do realise that players can put on bulk right?

I'm not a fan of skinny kids, call it TW related nightmares. As such I'd much rather take kids who may need to either tone up or add 1-3kg, over kids who need to spend summer at McDonalds while trying to add 6-10kg to reach a reasonable playing weight when it comes to my medium/small players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a feeling TFL would take Glenn. Was hoping he would fall here, as I think a lock down small defender or rebounding defender is something Gold Coast need.

With that in mind:

Pick 61: Gold Coast select Nathan Drummond

(VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style:
Player comparison: Ben Sinclair (stronger bodied)
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Midfielder with some extremely explosive pace and the ability to really take on games whether playing through the midfield or down back. Has some hardness over the footy and has the ability to win some of his own ball. Strong mark for his size and has the ability to win some 1v1 contests. The one improvement I’ve enjoyed in his game, we all knew he had that offensive pace last year but he’s really improved his tackling game and pressuring effort. He need to start winning more of the footy more often but if he can get his hands on it more and improve his efficiency by foot he has the opportunity to really develop into something.

Why Drummond: I believe that whilst Drummond has some development left in him, his body is storng enough to play at AFL level. He is competent in a 1 on 1 contest, and he is quick off the mark. I think Drummond is one of the best players at this pick, and would make a strong Half Back Flanker.

Who Else I considered: Jared Jansen, Darcy Byrne-Jones, David Mirra, Louis Herbert.

_kp_

Pick 66 Essendon: Sam Bennett - HBF/Mid

Considered Jared Jansen here but went with an athletic decision maker here for his versatility and amount of development to come.

Bennett is quick, has clean hands, strong overhead mark, good skills and most importantly a good decision-maker. Is capable of playing at either end on the flank, in juniors he has distributed the ball from half back while bobbing up the the odd goal as well. I think eventually with added size and an improved aerobic base he will move into the midfield. Plus his height advantage in the middle is becoming so fashionable. As for a negative, his disposal numbers have been low so he needs to get involved in the play some more. It might take him a bit longer than most to become that full-time mid but when/if he does he should be a good player.

_RT_ since collingwood's pick is already there

Pick 68 Tigers select

Nick Holman 187cm/79kg - Midfielder - Murray Bushrangers

At pick 68 this kid is just too good to overlook. A star at the stoppages with his clearance work, clean hands and strong tackling, he appears to be the kind of kid that Dimma would love in a tight game as he rarely takes a backwards step when there is a ball to be won.

In the TAC Cup Holman played 12 games averaging:
10.8 kicks
10.2 handballs
21 disposals
6.3 handball receives
3.5 marks
6 tackles

MR

Write ups courtesy of Knightmare
#8 North Melbourne – Luke McDonald (VIC – Util) F/S
Height: 188cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 09/02/1995
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison: Trent McKenzie
Range: 1st round
Profile: McDonald is a really elite kick of the footy and can roost it 60m easily and hit his intended target and get it there in a hurry with his low penetrating kicks. He can hit targets over any distance consistently and usually elects to go for the more damaging option which he can pull off no problem. McDonald has some real versatility to his game with the range to play down back, midfield or as a forward as required but likely starts his career out of the back half as a playmaker off a back flank. Luke is also an outstanding athlete with genuine linebreaking ability on him taking on the game at every opportunity. Not only is McDonald gifted offensively but he has shown that he can also stay with a man showing a good 1v1 game, good ability at ground level and ability to stay with a leading player allowing him to also play a more accountable role at times as required.
Why: Well I had to pick him, but he'll release Atley into the midfield and that will be very useful for North Melbourne.

#30 North Melbourne - Jay Kennedy-Harris (VIC – Fwd/Mid)Height: 173cm, Weight: 68kg, DOB: 21/03/1995
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison: Andrew Krakouer
Range: 15-45
Profile: Small forward who has shown this year that he also has the ability to push up through the midfield and find the footy easily and be an effective two way player with his tackling particularly impressive. Kennedy-Harris’ point of difference is in his ability to sidestep with numbers around him and generate time and space for himself easily to be able to dispose of the ball effectively. Also has above average straight-line pace to go with his ability allowing him to break away from congestion at times. Regardless of this improved midfield ability my vision with Kennedy-Harris is as a forward first who can rotate into the midfield as required. Kennedy-Harris is as natural a crumbing forward as you’ll ever see. He gets to the right positions consistently and knows where to position himself to get those balls that come to ground. One touch with all his touches and a clean user of the footy. Excellent finisher around goal and a guy who could fit into a forwardline pretty easily.
Why: North Melbourne need some explosiveness in their forward line and Kennedy-Harris would make a great duo with Lindsay Thomas and Brent Harvey, following Harveys retirement he might be able to rotate into the midfield more often.

#47 North Melbourne - Luke Reynolds (SA – Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 09/01/1995
Recruited from: Port Adelaide
Style: Trent McKenzie (less athletic, leadup forward version)
Player comparison:
Range: 20-40
Profile: Lead up forward who really stands out with his ability by foot to hit targets low, fast and to where they want it making him a guy you really want the ball in the hands of when entering your forward 50. Reynolds mostly finds the ball from marks coming mostly from long leads up the field and then he 9 times out of 10 plays on shifting straight onto his left foot looking to execute a pin point quick pass into the forward 50 over those short to medium distances where he shows excellent vision finding the right guy but then also precision kicking getting it to the most dangerous position every time. He also has the ability to load up from 55m and kick the long goal with his excellent penetration. The other strength beyond his kicking is his strength overhead with his marking on the lead excellent. Reynolds while he’s mostly played as a leadup forward and is best suited there for the moment could well make the transition onto a back flank or wing depending on what a team is looking for him to do.

Why: North probably lack a half-forward and Luke Reynolds would be a great fit, he's a lethal kick and that would fit in the North Melbourne gamestyle of preffering to kick instead of handball. It would allow for some very quick transition play from half-back to half-forward with McDonald.

#65 North Melbourne - Matthew Sully (VIC – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 15/10/1992
Recruited from: Geelong (VFL)
Style:
Player comparison: Kyle Hartigan
Range:
Profile: Good 1v1 defender who plays a strong shutdown role in the back half. He has stepped his game up again this year and is ready to take the next step. AFL ready despite his still lean age and can step in for a team immediately.
Why: Very much a needs based selection, if one of Grima or Thompson went down North Melbourne would be in a world of trouble and it could potentially derail their season entirely. Hansen is their only ready defender 195cm or over and this is a worry as it can see North Melbourne be exposed at times in defence. Could've easily taken him at pick 47.

Port Adelaide pick 70

Courtesy of Knightmare.

Shane Nelson (WA – Mid)
Height: 176cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 11/05/1993
Recruited from: West Perth
Style:
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Small midfielder who continues to dominate the WAFL. Nelson is a speed, skilful, high production midfielder who seems to come back a better player every season and continues to make a case for selection which is what you want for a guy in his position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Richmond Board Draft - Official Picks Version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back