Richmond FC 2024 mass exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you ever seen anything like this before? In my 40 odd years of following footy I’ve never ever seen such willingness from players of one club willing and ready to jump ship now that the glory days are done.

There hasn’t been any desire by their premiership players to dig in, stick by the club and fight or play for the jumper and to help bring the team some wins for their supporters in the next few years. Since their premiership coach Hardwick did the same thing mid season , essentially abandoning the plan to build again, players have followed suit. You have to wonder how many of the injuries sustained this year are as bad as they were made out to be - possibly a lost desire to do the hard work.

You have to feel sorry for Yze and the players that were brought in on the back of the premierships. Even their CEO jumped ship - would he have left if they were contending again?

TLDR: I guess what I’m saying is that what has happened this year is an unprecedented abandoning of ship.

Edit: maybe this is the future blueprint for all sides that are past their use by, although the Cats prove their is an alternate model.
Yep next year we are likely to have only 12 or 13 players left on the list from our 2020 Premiership list. However in 2020 Hawthorn only had 12 players left from their 2015 Premiership list. How did you handle all of these players jumping ship after your last Premiership? Maybe you can tell us how it feels being abandoned by your team?

Tigers could seriously go winless next season. 1 year down the bottom after such success you can handle but literally no games or next to no games for 2 or 3 years is going to be hard to swallow. I’d imagine some very bitter supporters before the end of 2025 and fair enough too.

Obviously, next few years will be tough, but winless?

Even Melbournes early 2010s team got a win or two.

We keep hearing about ‘before Tassie’ because they’re scared of some perceived ill that befell a bunch of clubs who were down the bottom when GCS and GWS came into the comp.

Do people not realise that three of the five bottom sides during the Suns’ first crack at the draft have since won 5 flags between them, and that doesn’t include another in the Lions who have spent half a decade in and around the top four, nor does it include another lost grand final by the Eagles. The two teams immediately above THEM, Adelaide and Port, went on to make a grand final and spend a decent period in the 8 before self destructing while the other has been a fixture in the finals for most of the last decade.

And that was with TWO clubs picking the eyes out of the draft.

What is it exactly everyone is so afraid of with Tasmania? That the players they don’t pick will all be at exactly the same level and thus the team that finishes bottom just before that draft won’t have an advantage over the rest of the comp?

What’s more likely is that Tassie will draft a lot of the cream but will struggle to compete because their club doesn’t yet exist and therefore not really be relevant to the ladder and the finals race at that time, and thus the next teams in drafting order will have access to the next best players and should still incrementally be able to improve their standing.
It really was luck of the draw. 2010 draft for example, despite finishlng last west coast got pick 3, who ended up being comfortably the most accomplished player from the top 10. Found Darling at 26 too, what a bargain! 2 of the top 3 players from the draft.

I dont think anybody can count on that happening too often, id rather not be in that situation in the first place.

It’s happening at the absolute perfect time in relation to Tassie coming in. It’s so perfect one could believe that Benny planned this all. Not like any of his previous plans came to fruition….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tigers could seriously go winless next season. 1 year down the bottom after such success you can handle but literally no games or next to no games for 2 or 3 years is going to be hard to swallow. I’d imagine some very bitter supporters before the end of 2025 and fair enough too.

Its possible, if you take those players out of this seasons team, we probably wouldnt have kicked over 5 goals in any game. But even the top ups at Essendon found a win. Likewise West Coast top ups beat Collingwood at Marvel a few years ago. You get teams on an off day and anything can happen. We beat Sydney when they were unbeatable this year somehow.

Yep next year we are likely to have only 12 or 13 players left on the list from our 2020 Premiership list. However in 2020 Hawthorn only had 12 players left from their 2015 Premiership list. How did you handle all of these players jumping ship after your last Premiership? Maybe you can tell us how it feels being abandoned by your team?

List, or team? By my reckoning of the 22 players that played that day, this is including Lynch if you still have him, you will have 9 left, based on all the all-but-confirmed exits. If he leaves that’s 8.

It is what it is.

We either try to draft well and build something, hopefully showing something to give young players hope to continue signing on or hang onto players that don't want be there and have more players become disenfranchised and leave, prolonging the pain.

I'd rather bottom out now and start again and hopefully get some good kids in than dig in our heels and have a decade plus of nothingness with players who are just there until they can get somewhere else.

It really was luck of the draw. 2010 draft for example, despite finishlng last west coast got pick 3, who ended up being comfortably the most accomplished player from the top 10. Found Darling at 26 too, what a bargain! 2 of the top 3 players from the draft.

I dont think anybody can count on that happening too often, id rather not be in that situation in the first place.

It’s probably not going to happen ‘too often’ but effectively what will happen is a team who won’t even be a factor for at least 5 years will take what they think will be a good share of the good players, and the rest of the teams just get shunted down the pecking order a bit and the best of the rest logically get distributed in the same order they would if Tassie weren’t there. Yes those players themselves don’t end up at the teams they would without Tassie but the worst team instead of getting the best player gets, say, the third best player - which is still better than any of the established teams that they’re logically competing with.

Not sure why Tiges have this thread bumped to the top and there's nothing about Dees other than moving to Marvel.
They're literally melting into a puddle of goo while claiming everything is all good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only supporters that seem up in arms and outraged by Richmond’s current predicament are non Richmond fans. Most tiger supporters I know understand this is the best course of action to fast track our rebuild. We’ll have about 7-8 picks in the top 30 including about 5-6 in the first rd in what is being called a super draft. Good times won’t be too far away.

Have you ever seen anything like this before? In my 40 odd years of following footy I’ve never ever seen such willingness from players of one club willing and ready to jump ship now that the glory days are done.

There hasn’t been any desire by their premiership players to dig in, stick by the club and fight or play for the jumper and to help bring the team some wins for their supporters in the next few years. Since their premiership coach Hardwick did the same thing mid season , essentially abandoning the plan to build again, players have followed suit. You have to wonder how many of the injuries sustained this year are as bad as they were made out to be - possibly a lost desire to do the hard work.

You have to feel sorry for Yze and the players that were brought in on the back of the premierships. Even their CEO jumped ship - would he have left if they were contending again?

TLDR: I guess what I’m saying is that what has happened this year is an unprecedented abandoning of ship.

Edit: maybe this is the future blueprint for all sides that are past their use by, although the Cats prove their is an alternate model.
Lol ……. I think assisting 2 players to return home, 1 free agent and 1 for opportunity doesn’t even come close to tipping out Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge and let’s not even discuss the immorality of the Jon Hay trade to North.

They'll get a lot of good draft picks but there's no guarantee players chosen will necessarily reflect their draft position, plenty of high end busts every draft.

Just so long as they don't put out the begging bowl when they hardly win any games over the next two to three seasons. They've had their unexpected glory days, now just accept your lot.

Be interesting to see if the sinking ship deserters glean the level of picks some in the media are foaming at the mouth about.

It will definitely interesting to see how long the priority pick comes up in the media, and how supportive they will be of it.
Most were against it for North, they certainly will be all against it for the Eagles, and now Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond FC 2024 mass exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back