Richmond FC 2024 mass exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

Our pain coming now, your pain will come right before Tassie enters.
Even if that happens, for those of us who've seen our sides win premierships recently, you included, will any of us really care too much?

I wouldn't.
Some Saints fans in their twilight years would have followed their club for 60 years plus waiting for their turn.

If Richmond go down the route of trading away every player with currency for picks they are going to be in for a world of hurt. No team succeeds like that, not in the short to medium term anyway. If a team is too young and gets pumped for 2 or 3 years straight with no older players to help it destroys a clubs culture.

Loads have teams have found their way back to near the top of the ladder after runs at the bottom. Richmond themselves, Swans, Eagles, Blues, Demons, now Hawks look like they are on their way.

Richmond's strategy is abundantly clear. They are cashing in some players with strong trade value to get a lot of picks in what is thought to be a very strong draft. If they don't get the right deals for those players they will hang on to them.

There is nothing wrong with the strategy if they get good value in draft picks. Youngsters coming in will still play with flag players Nankervis, Vlastuin, Lynch, Balta, Broad, Prestia, McIntosh, Short, and a good number of other players who were present through at least part of the dynasty.

There are a load of young players already on the list yet to properly emerge de to long term injuries, but they are likely to be at full steam for 2026. The club will recruit a load of talented youngsters while building a proper war chest, then top up, then you will be saying ****, that was quick.

Loads have teams have found their way back to near the top of the ladder after runs at the bottom. Richmond themselves, Swans, Eagles, Blues, Demons, now Hawks look like they are on their way.

Yes they have, but the teams that stay at the bottom of the ladder have one thing in common, they have no real experienced players who can guide the young players, to help them in establishing a winning culture. It is why North have been at the bottom for ages as they gutted their experienced players, and it meant their young players don't have anyone to learn from.

It is why the first thing Paul Roos did when taking over at Melbourne was bring in Vince and Cross, as neither were going to be a part of Melbourne's next premiership, but they were there to help the younger players, to teach them and to protect them a bit on the field.

If Richmond trade away all your experience good luck having your younger players develop correctly.

Yes they have, but the teams that stay at the bottom of the ladder have one thing in common, they have no real experienced players who can guide the young players, to help them in establishing a winning culture. It is why North have been at the bottom for ages as they gutted their experienced players, and it meant their young players don't have anyone to learn from.

It is why the first thing Paul Roos did when taking over at Melbourne was bring in Vince and Cross, as neither were going to be a part of Melbourne's next premiership, but they were there to help the younger players, to teach them and to protect them a bit on the field.

If Richmond trade away all your experience good luck having your younger players develop correctly.
Theyll have some older players, but I dont see the likes of Taranto or Hopper being exceptional leaders, particularly if theyre a bit upset about whats happened at the club since their arrival

I have just shown you Richmond isn't trading away all its experience. Nor do we have North Melbourne's zero Premiership players on our list(we will have 8.) Nor did any of those established clubs languishing on the bottom for years have around 10 rd 1 draft picks over 2 consecutive drafts as Richmond looks likely to. So there are some pretty sizeable differences, even before you consider the stability of the club, its financial situation, huge supporter base and so on.

There will be difficulties, but this is not some abyss the club is sinking into or it would not be releasing prime aged, long contracted players.

Have you ever seen anything like this before? In my 40 odd years of following footy I’ve never ever seen such willingness from players of one club willing and ready to jump ship now that the glory days are done.

There hasn’t been any desire by their premiership players to dig in, stick by the club and fight or play for the jumper and to help bring the team some wins for their supporters in the next few years. Since their premiership coach Hardwick did the same thing mid season , essentially abandoning the plan to build again, players have followed suit. You have to wonder how many of the injuries sustained this year are as bad as they were made out to be - possibly a lost desire to do the hard work.

You have to feel sorry for Yze and the players that were brought in on the back of the premierships. Even their CEO jumped ship - would he have left if they were contending again?

TLDR: I guess what I’m saying is that what has happened this year is an unprecedented abandoning of ship.

Edit: maybe this is the future blueprint for all sides that are past their use by, although the Cats prove their is an alternate model.
Dockers had 5 players traded out in 2022, despite making finals that season. No one talks about that

Gale had been here for long time since the end of 2009 that's 15 years,
I think he would have been looking to leave for another challenge regardless of what is happening with the players requesting a trade + coach Dimma leaving. at least he stayed till the end of the year although some have even criticized that Caroline Wilson, I am looking at you.

Hardwick was just an absolute dog though; he has proven to a be liar with what did to his wife + telling Taranto & Hopper to come than leaving as soon as it looks like not working out than poaching our staff & players.

I will always respect him for being our Premiership coach but when you do that you have to draw the line. he tarnished his legacy imo bit like Clarko did with the Hawks.

With regards to Rioli & Bolton wanting out at the end of the day they are contracted & if Richmond don't get the right offers than, they are staying so it's up to the club chasing them.

Even if that happens, for those of us who've seen our sides win premierships recently, you included, will any of us really care too much?

I wouldn't.
Some Saints fans in their twilight years would have followed their club for 60 years plus waiting for their turn.
I can tell you as a Hawk supporter it hurt being down the bottom for a few years. Even though we never got close to a spoon and still won at least 6 games a year it was real tough. Seasons were a write off.

I can’t imagine fronting up each week over the next 2-3 years knowing that you are going to get absolutely flogged. 2 wins this year and will be a lot less experienced and worse next year and we don’t know if YZE can coach yet.

Honestly, I admire the Tigers supporters in here . None of them have gotten upset or irrational. They understand their lot and see the future gains from bringing in top end talent in this strong draft. I feel for them by around round 8 next season though.

Last edited:
Ok mate.

Collingwood.

Now, with that out of the way so you can get some relief and your head won’t explode, I’ll say it again like I did the first time.

Teams need not be so afraid of having to draft players when Tasmania come in.

Will you be able to cope with this notion because based on your frankly five year old level carry on since I first postulated it and how you somehow tried to tie it to a link to Collingwood that doesn’t exist, you can’t.

Richmond's total rebuild when Hardwick came on board was through the GWS and Suns compromised drafts. People have short memories. Sure it will be more difficult to rebuild through the upcoming Tassie drafts but not impossible to succeed.

I wouldn't.
So true. Hence I find it funny hearing from Essendon and Carlton fans talking about the pain we are in and the horrible season we’ve had. Essendon has been a side show for over 20 years and Carlton nearly 30. I’m fine with a few years of pain, plunder the draft and watch the next generation come through. We’ll still probably win our next flag before teams like Carlton, Essendon and st. Kilda.

Thats very optimistic

I'd say that the zero nominations even to the initial 22 under 22 squad is the biggest concern, I can't even think of anyone who could be considered a bit unlucky.

You'd think with all the opportunities and senior exposure offered this year, there'd have been a few who'd have piled up the stats, being locked into the team due to there simply being no other options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List, or team? By my reckoning of the 22 players that played that day, this is including Lynch if you still have him, you will have 9 left, based on all the all-but-confirmed exits. If he leaves that’s 8.
I was talking about lists as there are some players that weren't good enough at the time to fit into the GF team due to depth but improved over 5 years to become 1st team.

If they held all these players they'd end up like West Coast. At least they can get plenty of talent into the club. This is a big win for Richmond, just go further back to eventually go further forward
Agree in theory, you just need to ensure you pick the right players and have enough big bodies to maintain a competitive culture. The Blues bottomed out and lost our competitive culture, it arguably held us back (along with the Teague coaching selection) from being competitive earlier than we should have. If we hadn't lost our competitive culture, our list really should have been playing finals throughout the 2020-2022 era. It could have course gone completely wrong if we didn't nail the 2015 Draft and secure Weitering, McKay and Curnow. Richmond just need to hope that 2024 or 2025 is that 2015 Draft.

If they get it wrong, and have a draft like Melbourne did in 2009 for example and draft Scully, Trengrove, Gysberts and Tapscott you risk completely halting any momentum, shortening the effective careers of the Richmond future core side (i.e by ageing out any young successful players Richmond have now, although i'm not really aware of any, Balta maybe) and then you get into trouble with expansion drafts. To take another Carlton example, look at the 2010 draft where Calrton tried to rebuild a young spine with Matthew Watson, Pat McCarthy and Luke Mitchell, but you're first pick ends up being almost in the 20s and you're picking the fourth or fifth best KPP in the draft after the expansion side has fleeced them all. If you get it wrong, then you lose a young core and you lose a competitive culture and then you're in no mans land.

I think I speak for many Richmond supporters in saying that we'd take 3 flags and a quick fall to the bottom, rather than a slow fall and getting lost in no mans land. This presents a great opportunity, yes there will be pain, but it's the nature of the beast in winning three flags in 4 years!

Embrace the rebuild with the credits in the bank!

I think the exodus is to be expected in some respects. When a club has so much success in a short time, then fall dramatically, sort of natural for players to look for greener pastures. They will never reach such high's again, and probably don't expect to. 3 Premierships is more than any player would ever expect to be part of.

Bolton says family reasons, goes back to his home state. Baker sort of similar, back home. Rioli is from the north, so maybe the lifestyle of Qld suits him, and he has a great friendship with Hardwick. Graham is being offered 4 years, take it and run, because he will be lucky to see those 4 years out.

Richmond knows in one year they can bridge the quality issue of young players that it is missing. There will be good return into a good draft year. Accept it and go for it.

Richmond unearthed some good players this year and will have Lynch back for his first preseason in 3 years. He won't be the player he was in his prime, but a very good addition. Gibcus is another quality player that will return.

Hopefully the injury strife is over, luck plays a good part in it. 5 knee reco's in one year, plus another half a dozen who either haven't played all year or had their seasons finished half-way through it.

Top 20 draft picks come on quickly as a rule, and we could have half a dozen of them this year (or close to).

The way I look at it is that the Tigers have had such a bad year that they have snapped from 'we can win it', to 'how can we build another dynasty'. And right here and now the Tigers have the opportunity to build a massive draft hand whilst still having a solid experienced list with good leadership. it'll hurt like crazy, but if done well the Tigers will have a competitive team in a few years.

In some ways this is a strange timing thing. In 2024 the Tigers had a massive injury list and fell apart with a new coach and a coaching team that was not in sync. So this terrible year was overdetermined.

The club could have gone 'we'll be back, just stick fat'. But what seems to have happened (I don't know, but this is what it seems like from the outside) the club has gone 'we won't win a premiership with this list, but if we clean slate our thinking we might just be able to do a massive rebuild here and now'. So the coaching team is being rebuilt, the strength and conditioning team, and the playing squad. Once you go 'we are not going to win the show, so let's try to build an amazing team in 5 years time' you accept things clubs usually would never go for. The Tigers have a solid experienced list of premiership players with solid leadership. If we had a really good injury year the top 8 might have been in play (not a premiership, but being OK).

So here and now the club realised it could let a few good players go, still have 3+ years of a solid core of premiership players, have lots of salary cap space, and get an amazing hand in a really deep draft.

Bite the bullet and roll the dice on getting a dozen or so top 25 picks in 2 drafts, with maybe more to come, and hopefully get 3 to 5 A graders, 5 to 8 B graders, plus other players and the ability to trade.

Add in a list with a solid core of young players who are starting to grow into the AFL, and hey wallah you have a list to win 8 straight premierships. Well maybe 5. OK, could be only 1. Maybe just a chance to be competitive for a few years.

I cannot remember any team going this route before. This is likely to be an expansion team level draft, with more to come, whilst still having approximately half of a premiership list. If it works in a few year the Tigers will have a young, strong, deep list with great leadership and the ability to bring in free agents / trade for holes.

If not, then a lot of people will laugh and we'll look like the Tigers of the 1980s/1990s.

I'm hoping we get it right

Tigers could seriously go winless next season.
Ooffff don't get me so worked up baby!!! I'm not so young anymore!!

Serioulsly tho, how ****in' wonderful would that be, a winless Tigers season. The fact it's even possible is just beautiful.

No, I don't know of any other mass exodus like what is happening with us.
Maybe the club has tapped a few with currency on the shoulder and let them know a trade will be good for both parties.
I still have not heard the word 'rebuild' coming from any member of the Richmond hierarchy (I have not looked lately but it was always 'refresh' and continue winning finals eg. Taranto/Hopper trade), so this exodus is pushing their strategy into full-blown rebuild (which is what I always wanted so thanks Bolton/Bakes etc.)

I think the Hawthorn 2000+2018 rebuilds/Richmonds late 2000's has shown the success of doing it from the bottom up for Melbourne based clubs. They don't have the surf coast on their doorstep, academy picks or go home factor of only two clubs in the state vying for players. Using the IP of Melb based clubs and a full rebuild is the most likely way of prolonged success.

These 'mass exodus' might happen more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond FC 2024 mass exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back