Richmond FC 2024 mass exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

easy to presume this is on the leaving players, but I feel like there has been a non public, club implosion over the past few years with dodgy look after mates appointments & extremely poor succession planning

you only have to look at the injury toll this year, particularly after a period of best in class fitness management to understand the desire for some of these players to have a fresh start

Wonder what Collingwoods plan is?

Looks like that list will bottom out just as Tasmania guts the draft for several years.
I think Eddie will propose a plan to fast track Tassie by having all their high draft picks play for Collingwood while Pendles and Sidebottom and Daicos (Peter) play for Tassie to lead the rest of the list.

I think it's indicative of where footy is going. Much more like American sports.
Especially Dimma jumping ship as soon as the window was shut.
Think clubs need to be proactive and be more willing and able to move coaches and senior players along when it's clear it's not working out.

I would be fearing for the St Kilda's & Essendon more than us who are around mid-table & not looking like they have the list to let alone make finals but be a top 4 contender.

Wonder what Collingwoods plan is?

Looks like that list will bottom out just as Tasmania guts the draft for several years.
There won't be much compromise as it won't be a 19th team. Tasmania will get some concessions but mainly in the form of first choice of the leftovers of a merged club and bringing some Tasmanians home from around the league.

Ooffff don't get me so worked up baby!!! I'm not so young anymore!!

Serioulsly tho, how ****in' wonderful would that be, a winless Tigers season. The fact it's even possible is just beautiful.
Let’s do it together! We trade our stars, you trade your stars, and we’re set :)

Aaaaand again. When the suns entered, you remember who was at the bottom of the ladder, don’t you?

Richmond and west coast. Remind me who won every flag from 2017-2020 along with another grand final appearance from the eagles thrown in?

So what was the summary effect of the Suns on the teams who were impacted most on their initial foray into the draft? half a decade of dominance between them 7 seasons later?

Doesn’t seem the sort of problem people are making it out to be if I’m being totally honest
Actually posted this in the wrong thread, was talking about the pies. Agree you can still build around Tassie but makes it much harder, you need to nail late picks. Makes our dynasty all the more remarkable really.

Why blame the players. Their Premiership coach and CEO did the same thing when their "career life" is basically until their late 50s if they want it.

Stink starts with Hardwick and fans should be putting the boot into him before players, but you know, easy targets and all.
Unfortunately selected so called Richmond supporters or members, are putting the full blame on Yze a first year coach with a hell of a lot of injuries. Just unacceptable when Dimma left the way he did but that’s Adems fault.

Yeah, I am sick to death of Clubs / Coaches calling for loyalty....for what...because you had a top draft pick and selected Player X who was going to make it to AFL anyway?

Now that Hardwick has made his bed, I can't wait to see his hypocrisy when he cited loyalty as Suns players look to leave in future years.

I also think that problem for Yze is that those flag years had a strong core of Richmond heart / sole players who had been drafted by the Club and gone through the hard years and then they tacked on all the "mercenary pieces" such as Tom Lynch. Now those core Cotchjn / Riewoldt / Martin guys are gone leaving the flag / money chasing mercenaries, so they are way more at risk of player movement now they r at bottom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever seen anything like this before? In my 40 odd years of following footy I’ve never ever seen such willingness from players of one club willing and ready to jump ship now that the glory days are done.

There hasn’t been any desire by their premiership players to dig in, stick by the club and fight or play for the jumper and to help bring the team some wins for their supporters in the next few years. Since their premiership coach Hardwick did the same thing mid season , essentially abandoning the plan to build again, players have followed suit. You have to wonder how many of the injuries sustained this year are as bad as they were made out to be - possibly a lost desire to do the hard work.

You have to feel sorry for Yze and the players that were brought in on the back of the premierships. Even their CEO jumped ship - would he have left if they were contending again?

TLDR: I guess what I’m saying is that what has happened this year is an unprecedented abandoning of ship.

Edit: maybe this is the future blueprint for all sides that are past their use by, although the Cats prove their is an alternate model.

Is going to be the norm you reckon in few more years since the AFL like to mimic American sports epically the NBA. Wait till AFL start approving trading players without consent.

I also think that problem for Yze is that those flag years had a strong core of Richmond heart / sole players who had been drafted by the Club and gone through the hard years and then they tacked on all the "mercenary pieces" such as Tom Lynch. Now those core Cotchjn / Riewoldt / Martin guys are gone leaving the flag / money chasing mercenaries, so they are way more at risk of player movement now they r at bottom
True enough, but that happens to all clubs. Reset and rebuild, not much choice really. The 8 or 9 draft picks we will take this year will go through the hard times, much like they have at your club, and can become heart and soul players soon enough.

Apart from the Lynch rumour this week, Baker/Rioli/Bolton/Graham were all home grown 'heart / sole players who had been drafted'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond FC 2024 mass exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back