Richmond Leading The Race To Secure Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question - Would Collingwood be going all out to secure 4 home games in Hobart?
Irrelevant. They don't need to.
Part of our 3-0-75 plan is get our debt down to zero. This is not going to happen unless we think outside the square and start acting like a successful, progressive, forward-thinking business.

Less 20,000 through gates for say 4 games = $1.5M

I'm assuming the Tassie games will be pulling massive crowds of 10-15,000 :cool:

Jesus Christ, this deal will set us up as a financial powerhouse for years to come and will give us thousands of new supporters and members. This outweighs your selfish need to go to the footy every week by so far it isn't funny.
It's the year 2010 so get with the times, having lots of money in the bank and being a successful buisness is>>>>>>crowd numbers

We will be making about 450k per home game at bellerive, with a full house at ettihad which happens, never, you make about 100k, do the math.. Not to mention the extra memberships, corporate support u generate from playing games there.

Looking at the hawks, they get all Tassie games compensated to members as away members in melbourne so they don't lose out. This makes damn good business sense and will see us bridge the gap to the richest clubs in terms of revenue, facilities, personel.

I'd be happy with it provided:

- members could trade in all 4 games to still get their full quota of free entry
- we played at least 11 games at the MCG over the season
- no home games at Etihad

If it was something like 7 home games at the G, 4 at Hobart, with 4 "away" games at the G, 3 away games at Etihad and 4 interstate trips, I reckon it'd be acceptable as a fan and well worth it for the club to do it.

Jesus Christ, this deal will set us up as a financial powerhouse for years to come and will give us thousands of new supporters and members. This outweighs your selfish need to go to the footy every week by so far it isn't funny.
It's the year 2010 so get with the times, having lots of money in the bank and being a successful buisness is>>>>>>crowd numbers

I am in favour of this deal and all, in fact last year I actually dreamed of this exact plan, but it included flying Tiger Airlines to and from Hobart games.

But in no way is it selfish for any Tiger member to expect to be able to watch their own team play 11 games live in Melbourne each season. Seriously, isn't that the reason these guys run out on to the field each week?!? How many people get on this board bagging the AFL cronies for giving the fans the cold shoulder? The bolded statement above could well have come straight from Adrian Anderson's mouth as far as I am concerned.

Less 20,000 through gates for say 4 games = $1.5M

I'm assuming the Tassie games will be pulling massive crowds of 10-15,000 :cool:

Im not sure what the capacity of the new redeveloped ground would be mt but I can assure you the tiger following down here is quite substantial. I'm guessing, but outside of the Melbourne Metro, Tasmania would have the next largest hardcore following of Richmond supporters...dispersed as that may be.

The revenue generated from these memberships alone would generate much need cash into the RFC and that's before any other benefits from the AFL, State Govt and gate takings from those matches.
We could learn a lot from what the Hawks have done, as much as I despise them being here, they have marketed and secured a solid support base and following. All of which translates iinto much need cash revenues and a secure future

LOL gotta love what a joke our state it. Lets just waste money on two stadiums so they can both be sub-par if we ever(and this makes it less likely) get an AFL team when we could improve Aurora more and have an AFL team ready stadium. Now this isn't hating on the South... if they had the only current stadium I would say the same... I was all for the proposed stadium(30k seats I believe?) at the Hobart show grounds a while back.

I'm a Tigers fan obviously and I won't bother going down to watch them play Freo or Port or whoever... when for barely more I can go watch them play and a great stadium like the MCG against a big club. Before all you Melbourne fans say 'you should support them wherever'... let me point out its a lot easier to front up each week when its in your own city!

It's not like we have to play in Hobart every year until the end of time.

I give this proposal cautious support. Look at Hawthorn - they basically pencil in a win every time they play an interstate team down there.

I would support it if:

It means no home games at docklands
We can get debt free out of the deal
Tigers membership will get access to 'away' games in Melbourne as compensation

Personally i'd prefer 2 home games a year in Tassie but it seems 4 is on the agenda.

There are far more positives than negatives in this proposal.

I think where the tigers are going right with the Hobart idea is they aren't doing it purely for the cash. They are doing it to grow a national brand and consolidate on high levels of Tassie support (through Richo), similar to what the Hawks had in Tassie due to Hudson. Definately another positive and a major reason the Hawks went to Tassie is so that all their home games can be at the MCG.

I think if the Tigers go to Hobart it will work, if North go to Tassie it will be a disaster though, that club is only interested in trying to get money and nothing else, it's a primary reason why all their endeavours in other markets have failed so far. What I would say though is that Richmond will not make the same amount of money as Hawthorn did from our deal, its 3 mil a year but 1.2 or 1.8 million ( I forget which figure it is) of that is having Tasmania as our major sponsor. I think like Hawthorns new deal, each game down there would net about 350-550k a game, however you have to consider you will get more members but at the same time loose the ability to sell 17 game Melbourne memberships and hence some revenue.

I am in favour of this deal and all, in fact last year I actually dreamed of this exact plan, but it included flying Tiger Airlines to and from Hobart games.

But in no way is it selfish for any Tiger member to expect to be able to watch their own team play 11 games live in Melbourne each season. Seriously, isn't that the reason these guys run out on to the field each week?!? How many people get on this board bagging the AFL cronies for giving the fans the cold shoulder? The bolded statement above could well have come straight from Adrian Anderson's mouth as far as I am concerned.

It is selfish bc its putting ure own satisfaction and needs ahead of the club and its potential to reap greater rewards thereby becoming a bigger and stronger club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think where the tigers are going right with the Hobart idea is they aren't doing it purely for the cash. They are doing it to grow a national brand and consolidate on high levels of Tassie support (through Richo), similar to what the Hawks had in Tassie due to Hudson. Definately another positive and a major reason the Hawks went to Tassie is so that all their home games can be at the MCG.

I think if the Tigers go to Hobart it will work, if North go to Tassie it will be a disaster though, that club is only interested in trying to get money and nothing else, it's a primary reason why all their endeavours in other markets have failed so far. What I would say though is that Richmond will not make the same amount of money as Hawthorn did from our deal, its 3 mil a year but 1.2 or 1.8 million ( I forget which figure it is) of that is having Tasmania as our major sponsor. I think like Hawthorns new deal, each game down there would net about 350-550k a game, however you have to consider you will get more members but at the same time loose the ability to sell 17 game Melbourne memberships and hence some revenue.
Good post and I completely agree.
For all the jokes that everyone makes about the Hawks bumping up their membership with pet members etc, the fact is they have grown their membership by being shrewd in developing Waverley as their base and tapping into the thousands of people in the booming eastern suburbs and have tapped into a ready-made football market in Tasmania.
As much I don't particularly like Hawthorn, I admire them for their ability to grow their club rather than rest on their laurels like Essendon.

Spot on, this is a great move by the club, I'm all for the club making as much cash as they can and i'm willing to forego a few games so we are set up in the future. Anyway a few trips to Tassie may stop us from going to geelong and etihad as often as we do, we all hate it there i would rather say 4 games in tassie and maybe 13-14 in melb as part of a recipriocal package and maybe 3-4 interstate instead of the 5 away trips and geelong in the first 13games as was this year.

Yep i agree. I hate going to jihad and it would suit me down to the ground to stay at home and watch us play in Tassie (but keep our MCG games if possible):thumbsu:

Being at the game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> watching on TV.

So are 17 game members now going to be 13 and 11 game memberships will be 7?

How much money will that lose?

Pretty shit to treat loyal supporters like this tbh. 4 games in Tassie is WAY to many. 1 i game understand but not 4. Would like this club to keep some of its credibility instead of going for the money. More than 35,000 Tiger fans came out to watch us play a shit drawing team like North in the rain last week.. why should we be punished simply because the club is after a few extra dollars?

Why the rush anyway? We have been making a profit for a few years, our debt will pay off soon if we stay strong and stay in Melbourne and win games. Why the need to pay it all off in a couple of years? Aim to pay it off by 2020 and keep the supporters onside.

Spot on, this is a great move by the club, I'm all for the club making as much cash as they can and i'm willing to forego a few games so we are set up in the future. Anyway a few trips to Tassie may stop us from going to geelong and etihad as often as we do, we all hate it there i would rather say 4 games in tassie and maybe 13-14 in melb as part of a recipriocal package and maybe 3-4 interstate instead of the 5 away trips and geelong in the first 13games as was this year.

What a joke. You'd prefer to play in ANOTHER state compared to playing at a stadium a couple of kms up the road?? You'd like to exclude 10,000+ supporters from attending a home game?

We shouldn't go down the the Hawks road of having TASMANIA on their shirt instead of Hawthorn. Have some respect for our history and keep home games where they belong except for the ODD game.

Good post and I completely agree.
For all the jokes that everyone makes about the Hawks bumping up their membership with pet members etc, the fact is they have grown their membership by being shrewd in developing Waverley as their base and tapping into the thousands of people in the booming eastern suburbs and have tapped into a ready-made football market in Tasmania.
As much I don't particularly like Hawthorn, I admire them for their ability to grow their club rather than rest on their laurels like Essendon.

Hmm know your going to disagree with me so i'll get in first......

Why don't Richmond just go **** it, lets be the Australian team. lets play in Darwin, Tasmania, Central Coast, NZ... hey it will bump up our membership.. :p

Question - Would Collingwood be going all out to secure 4 home games in Hobart?

No way they would. Either should we. Are we budgeting these Tassie games on a bottom 8 finish? A Richmond who is around the top 4 will be comfortably pulling 45,000 at the G against Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane. Against Freo, West Coast and Port we'd be pulling 35,000+. Does this sound like a team who needs to sell home games to another state? I hope this is a short term thing because we should be aiming to be the biggest club outdoing Collingwood in crowd figures for the season. We can do it while we are a bottom 8 team, but in 2 years if we are flying I don't want to be playing in stadiums below 40,000 capacity. :cool:

Hmm know your going to disagree with me so i'll get in first......

Why don't Richmond just go **** it, lets be the Australian team. lets play in Darwin, Tasmania, Central Coast, NZ... hey it will bump up our membership.. :p

I find it a bit embarrasing that we have to go the lengths which only clubs such as Melbourne and North Melbourne would do. Maybe it will be profitable if we are a bottom 8 side for 2 more years but a top 4 side should cancel any thought of playing away. I hope this is a 2 year project at the very most and when we are a force of the field we should be out to compete with Collingwoods attendance figures. Which means all home games in Melbourne, most likely 14 MCG games. A minimum expectation of 2 crowds of under 40,000 in Melbourne.

I have an 11 home game membership but live in Canberra.

I can not get to the games but I still buy the membership.

If anything can help guarantee the survival of the Tigers then I am all for it.

We do not need Save Our Skins again.

Now I might be a little crazy but a comment the other day had me thinking, what gives with Benny Gale being involved with Football Tasmania...what is their mandate...If it were Football Nth QLD and Benny was lining us up to play there we'd be ready to string him up but coz it is in the land of the Never Never we all seem to have some comfort there is nothing sinister in this. I'd be a little more comfortable if Benny resigned from that post with Football Tas, happy to pick it up in 20 years or so when he finishes a stint with the tiges and delivered on 3-0-75..is there anything in this or am I a little crazy

The more I think about it the more I like this idea. Lets look at it if we had a similar deal to what the Hawks.

4 games in Hobart @ say $450k per game = $1.8mil (Hawks get more for their deal)
7 home games at the MCG
Ability to attend 'away' games in Melbourne using your membership, meaning you still attend 11 games in Melbourne.

Now lets say we sign a 3 year deal, that would be $5.4 mil for 12 games in Hobart. We're currently $4mil in debt, in 3 years time we could effectively be out of debt and all it has cost us in 12 games from 66.

Lets not forget that recently the club has been asking for the supporters to make donations so that we could kit out the new gym, with the money we would make from selling a few games the club wouldn't need to go cap in hand to the supporters asking them to fund something they should be able to fund themselves.

Doing this would also mean that any profit that we do make from our Melbourne home games could be poured back into the football dept i.e. recruiting & development, which in turn helps us ensure that our future success is sustained rather than just fleeting.

Time to think big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back