Richmond Leading The Race To Secure Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is imperative we snap up this opportunity, all this big 4 talk is nonsense, we have languished down the bottom of the pile for 2 decades and still draw a crowd when we have a few wins. if we play good football people will come to watch... Expanding the supporter base to Tassie is crucial... The move markets itself. Tassie Tigers... Roach Richo and Riewoldt. If those 3 can't get the state to jump on board i dunno what will. The AFL is clearly not going to put a Tasmanian team in any time soon... If we can get the supporter base + financial incentives, we will be aiming straight for the top.

Hawthorn has moved up into the top four/five since their Tassie deal. We'd have better base support down there to begin with. Add some on field success and we could be the biggest club in the league by 2015.

By all reports the Tassie deal won't start until 2012. Anything less than 3 years wouldn't be worth it, while anything more i.e. 5 years would be pointless as we know 5 year plans at Richmond always end in a mess. ;)

well we almost wholly agree on this one RT.
the only bit i have trouble with is the disdain you treat tassie people with.
its like lets go down there for 3 yrs take the money and then piss off. i reckon we need to be better than that.

and camsmith mate the debt has been a burden around our necks since the early casey days. its played a big part in lack of facilities lack of coaches lack of recruiters lack of everything.

to my way of thinking it would not take much of a debt blow out when one considers the operating costs how much more we probably need to spend to be competetive, and the bottom line how close to the wind we sail when it comes to profit and loss margins to be on our knees again pleading for assistance from the afl and the members.

no far better that we kill the debt and create and grow revenue streams that ensure we have no need to borrow and our bottom lines cant be affected by things as spurious as membership or how many turn up.

this oh its only 4mil attitude has to stop before it does kill us.

Now I might be a little crazy but a comment the other day had me thinking, what gives with Benny Gale being involved with Football Tasmania...what is their mandate...If it were Football Nth QLD and Benny was lining us up to play there we'd be ready to string him up but coz it is in the land of the Never Never we all seem to have some comfort there is nothing sinister in this. I'd be a little more comfortable if Benny resigned from that post with Football Tas, happy to pick it up in 20 years or so when he finishes a stint with the tiges and delivered on 3-0-75..is there anything in this or am I a little crazy

I'm pretty sure the 75 part of that plan is dependent on a lot of members being recruited from other parts of the land, quite possibly the Apple Isle, for starters at least ;)

3 years is to 2015.

Three years from now would be ok, but not 2014 and 2015. By then we will (hopefully) kicking ass big time and drawing huge crowds and getting more revenue than anything Tassie could offer.

It'll be pointless if it starts in 2012. An extra 100,000 of crowds in a season >5,000 members from tassie. The club is underating itself :cool:

It'll be pointless if it starts in 2012. An extra 100,000 of crowds in a season >5,000 members from tassie. The club is underating itself :cool:

An extra 100,000 of crowds (lifting our average home attendance by 10k per week) would probably only make RFC an extra 1.5 million dollars or so, at best. Most of the Vic clubs are on shitty stadium deals, including us. Any Tassie deal will be worth much more to us financially.

As long as I can get in free to 11 games at the MCG and have the option of attending a few more games paying at the gate (either at the G or Etihad), I'd be happy.

I think it is imperative we snap up this opportunity, all this big 4 talk is nonsense, we have languished down the bottom of the pile for 2 decades and still draw a crowd when we have a few wins. if we play good football people will come to watch... Expanding the supporter base to Tassie is crucial... The move markets itself. Tassie Tigers... Roach Richo and Riewoldt. If those 3 can't get the state to jump on board i dunno what will. The AFL is clearly not going to put a Tasmanian team in any time soon... If we can get the supporter base + financial incentives, we will be aiming straight for the top.
Less than 100 posts in your BF history and in a few succint, articulate sentences, you have made more sense on this subject than what Madtiger could contribute in a lifetime.:thumbsu:

Well written. The RFC has history down here in Hart, Stewart, Roach, Richo and now Riewoldt so why not take advantage of the base already existing down here.

What Hawthorn has achieved down here is unbelievable and sickening as a Tiger supporter/member and has saved their sorry Club. I see no reason why, if a similar deal is put in place and the Tigers put in the time and effort the Club cannot reap similar success both on and off the field. Hawthorn now has around 10k based members. If the Tigers could replicate that it would be another 8-9k members if what I heard correctly we had 1.5k members in the State.

People are dreaming if you think the AFL is going to kick Collingwood off the MCG to give us 11 home games this side of 2025. We are going to have to have a decade of success to prove the last 30yrs is behind us before the League would even consider we could match their drawing power.

We aren't playing in a Victorian Suburban league now, it is national and it is all about marketing, tv ratings and advertising and other sponsordhip $. The Club has to think outside the square to increase the brand or we will never be able to compete with the top cash rich clubs.

I don't even mind if the Club rapes and pillages my Govt and local Council to get this deal done. Happy to see it happen to entrench the Tigers in the top echelon of the AFL

well we almost wholly agree on this one RT.
the only bit i have trouble with is the disdain you treat tassie people with.
its like lets go down there for 3 yrs take the money and then piss off. i reckon we need to be better than that.
I wasn't suggesting we just go down there for 3 years and piss off after grabbing the cash. What I'm saying is we'd be better off to sign for 3 years now, while we're still building the list. By the end of that 3 year deal we should be on the verge of playing regular finals. Once we achieve that we can then go back to them and discuss a new deal that rewards us for being a bigger drawcard.

and camsmith mate the debt has been a burden around our necks since the early casey days. its played a big part in lack of facilities lack of coaches lack of recruiters lack of everything.

There was more to it than that.. we now are getting better facilities (part of the reason why the debt isn't being paid off quicker), we now have recruiters and better development staff... we are growing without needing to sell our soul. Why change now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was more to it than that.. we now are getting better facilities (part of the reason why the debt isn't being paid off quicker), we now have recruiters and better development staff... we are growing without needing to sell our soul. Why change now?
I don't think it's even close to selling our soul mate.
It's not the 80s anymore where the threat of the Sydney takeover was hovering.
We still have our soul. But footy these days ia a business. And imagine playing at Bellerive next year and I can take you Syrup on a Friday night for a sure thing root?
Bring it on.

Simple, we are still spending a shitload less then the top clubs are, and we will never ever be able to compete with a $4 million debt hovering over our heads.
I am more then happy to sacrifice attending a few matches a year if it means we will have a better shot at winning that elusive 11th flag.
We have to be proactive to get bigger and better as a club and a business, not just sit on our arse and be happy with what we have.

I don't think it's even close to selling our soul mate.
It's not the 80s anymore where the threat of the Sydney takeover was hovering.
We still have our soul. But footy these days ia a business. And imagine playing at Bellerive next year and I can take you Syrup on a Friday night for a sure thing root?
Bring it on.

lol.. yeah sounds good for a one off but not 4 games a season for 3+ years.. :(

I just don't believe we need to play there for financial or any other reason. When does the grab for cash stop? Maybe we should play 2 games in Darwin too.

Footy is a business but it also needs to look after its members.

It seems that most posters have accepted that we are no longer able to compete in Melbourne and our future is in copying Hawthorn competing with the other minnows to get the Tassie dollar whilst the big clubs consolidate their position at the MCG.

How far has the Tiger swagger gone?

Which games would we be interested in playing in Hobart?

Currently the Hawks "use" Aurora Stadium as a place to play the games they know will draw the least crowd in Melbourne. Whilst I don't ever imagine RFC playing the Pies in front of 20,000 at Bellerive using Tassie as a half way house is pretty poor IMO.

I would be happy for RFC to play the Hawks, Melbourne, Roos, Dogs, Saints etc before the usual Power, Eagles, Dockers etc that the Hawks prefer. With WS and GC both in the comp from the time any games would start to be played at Bellerive I imagine these games would also be on the agenda.

Which games would we be interested in playing in Hobart?

Currently the Hawks "use" Aurora Stadium as a place to play the games they know will draw the least crowd in Melbourne. Whilst I don't ever imagine RFC playing the Pies in front of 20,000 at Bellerive using Tassie as a half way house is pretty poor IMO.

I would be happy for RFC to play the Hawks, Melbourne, Roos, Dogs, Saints etc before the usual Power, Eagles, Dockers etc that the Hawks prefer. With WS and GC both in the comp from the time any games would start to be played at Bellerive I imagine these games would also be on the agenda.

That might agree with the heart but it doesn't with the head.

I'd expect the majority of games requested to be played in Hobart would be interstaters and Dogs/Kangas/Saints because playing the big teams in Hobart cannibalises the return that could be made.

All Hobart will be is a half-way house, and that's fine by me. I'll take any Tiger sighting I can get. :thumbsu:

How's Brayshaws form.

Remember when we put Hardwick as our front runner for the coaching job then he came out on the Footy Show proclaiming he will be Norths next coach.

Now we have been in talks for a while about games in Tassie and now Brayshaw comes out and wants his club to be a part of the action trying to squash what we have worked hard for.

Bloody North riding on Richmond's coat tails.

If the Tiges do it I for one will accept that we are no longer a power in the game and are in fact a medium sized wannabe who can't compete with the Big 3 in Melbourne. A johnny come lately hawthorn puffing ourselves on money for admitting we can't cut it. It's an embarrassment. A humiliation to be spoken of trying to do it never mind doing it.

We're currently 11th in memberships and haven't done ANYTHING on field for nearly 30 years.

We already are a medium sized club who can't compete. We haven't been a power since 82.

We're currently 11th in memberships and haven't done ANYTHING on field for nearly 30 years.

We already are a medium sized club who can't compete. We haven't been a power since 82.

Some people really need to figure out it's 2010, not the 1970's anymore

Absolutely agree.
We have been coasting on our Big 4 status for ages, a status that only Richmond supporters think we deserve.

not sure of the $$$ benefit it of the tassie thing but should be around 350k-400k i should imagine.

3 years 4 games a year=12 games @400k=$4.8mill

also alot of these games would be televised live which the new sponsors would love & in turn pay for.

probably be able to sign another 1000-2000 new members from tassie

for the benefit of the clubs long term survival & competetivenesss, this tassie thing is a no brainer.

the downside is we get to see the crap games agains dockers,port,swans,roos,dogs in tassie or tv rather than bloody etihad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back