News RICHMOND PARTNER WITH PUMA - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It's finally been released in full size

Kane-Lambert-5199.jpg

Kane-Lambert-5200.jpg

Again inspired by Laurence Binyon’s poem, For the Fallen, Richmond will wear a special commemorative jumper for its traditional Anzac Eve clash against Melbourne at the MCG.

As it did in 2019, the guernsey features Morse code of Binyon's poems third and fourth stanza.

The Morse code that spells out the tale, replicates the architecture of the walls of the Education Centre courtyard at the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne.

A written version of the poem is also featured on the front of the jumper, along with the 2021 Anzac Appeal logo and a Gold Back-to-Back AFL Premiers badge.

Designed by PUMA, Richmond’s on-field apparel partner, the back of the guernsey includes an enlarged Lest We Forget section, paying tribute to fallen Richmond players who died serving our country, or had their death attributed to war service.

Added to the list from the last Anzac commemorative jumper is 1925 Richmond player Norm Le Brun, with his links to the Club and war only recently discovered by Richmond Football Club historian, Rhett Bartlett.
crap, whats on the back?

anything is better than a poppy sash lol
I don't mind the poppy sash, Essendons jumper this year probably looks better than it has in the past.

Came across this one while trying to find our jumper last night, really like the modern soldiers and the yellow poppy sash would look rubbish without the red ones in the middle.

DbgI3keVMAAQ9f7

Last edited:
I don't mind the poppy sash, Essendons jumper this year probably looks better than it has in the past.

Came across this one while trying to find our jumper last night, really like the modern soldiers and the yellow poppy sash would look rubbish without the red ones in the middle.

DbgI3keVMAAQ9f7
That's got to be up there with that WCE gradient monstrosity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The write up regarding the story behind the design is up on the club website. It's brilliant and inspiring. Some snippets:

A story of connection and growth headline Richmond’s Dreamtime jumper for the 16th annual Dreamtime at the 'G match against Essendon in Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

Designed by the Club’s Korin Gamadji Institute Program Lead, Michelle Kerrin (Arrernte/Luritja) in conjunction with Shane Edwards (Arrernte) and Jack Riewoldt, the jumper tells the players’ story since arriving at Richmond together in November 2006.

The famous yellow sash has been transformed into a gum leaf, symbolising a pre-game ritual Riewoldt picked up in his early Dreamtime games where he would place the leaf handed to him by Wurundjeri Elder Aunty Joy Murphy into his sock.

The leaf sash is split into two sides, with the white side representing Jack’s story throughout his time at the Club and his learnings of Indigenous communities.

6WjtDwbR.jpg

The orange/brown side represents Shane’s journey, not only within the Club but within his own identity. It starts with the rain of a heavy head and clears with the sun coming out, depicting the clarity of learning more about his indigeneity.

In explaining this experience for the artist, Edwards recalled a Club trip to Central Australia.

“In 2012, we went on a footy camp to Alice Springs, and I got to go to my community Santa Teresa (for the first time) and just have a look around,” Edwards explained.

“Belinda Duarte (Director of the Club’s Korin Gamadji Institute at the time) made a phone call to the principal of the school there, and I got to meet everyone, (and) 50-100 of them came to our game which was amazing.

“Before it, it was like I had never thought about it, but after it, I felt really clear. Almost straight after it, I was talking more, and my footy improved.

“It is an enormous growth, and I have evolved as a person.”

I’m a little confused, why isn’t it the yellow clash strip if it’s our away game?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Can't give you an absolute answer but I'd imagine because the yellow clash strip was worn last year in Darwin that this year we revert back to black.

I’m a little confused, why isn’t it the yellow clash strip if it’s our away game?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Essendon started designing their jumper assuming it was their away game (since last year was their home game). Obviously that was before it was decided marquee games would keep the same home teams as last year rather than switching like normal, no point changing once they found out.

We probably did the same thing.

Essendon started designing their jumper assuming it was their away game (since last year was their home game). Obviously that was before it was decided marquee games would keep the same home teams as last year rather than switching like normal, no point changing once they found out.

We probably did the same thing.
will we wear white shorts with it and bummers black shorts with the red guernsey

Is the puma contract finished end of this year?
Surely we announcing nike soon.

nothing wrong with puma and wouldnt be fussed if we stuck with them but nike is the biggest and best sportswear brand to go with Australia’s biggest club.

Is the puma contract finished end of this year?
Surely we announcing nike soon.

nothing wrong with puma and wouldnt be fussed if we stuck with them but nike is the biggest and best sportswear brand to go with Australia’s biggest club.
Don't trust Nike after they slowly mangled Carlton's jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back