Richmond to make top 4, or Brisbane to make top 8?

Which is more likely to happen?

• Richmond making top 4

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Brisbane making top 8

Votes: 72 69.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah probably best to continue the discussion here instead of derailing the other thread.

Like I said in the other thread Richmond went close to winning all but maybe 1 or 2 games this year. I think by improving their depth they should be able to overcome a lot of those near misses.

I don't really see Brisbane as a side nearing finals, given how uncompetitive they were in so many games. For comparison here's how the clubs did against the bottom 5: Port, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS.

Richmond: 5 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw, 135.8%
Brisbane: 8 wins, 0 losses, 184.1%

So Brisbane thumped the bottom few sides better than Richmond. The interesting bit though is when you compared how the clubs did against the rest of the league (From Brisbane/Richmond up):

Richmond: 5 wins, 10 losses, 101.9%
Brisbane: 2 wins, 12 losses, 63.1%
Gold Coast: 2 wins, 15 losses, 57.9%

That's pretty bad. Their results against the stronger clubs are more comparible to the Gold Coasts. They were only really competitive in 3-4 games against those top 12. They beat the Crows and West Coast by less than a kick and got with a couple of goals of the Saints (all three games at home). Other than that they only have a 13 point loss to North (Gabba) but they were down by over 50 at half time and 26 points at three quarter time. The other 8 games they were flogged in.

I just think Brisbane are coming from too far back.

I just think Brisbane are coming from too far back.

Excellent post, but I think you're really undermining the importance of 3 key injuries to our side this year.

Your team had a terrific run with injury, and as such were able to be a better team overall.

We had Leuenberger out for virtually the whole season, McGrath out for half the season, Staker missed the whole season. While it's not a valid excuse for the thrashings we received, but we also had to adjust to a new ruckman, who had a different style of rucking compared to Leuenberger.

I think it's more likely Richmond make the top 8 than Brisbane make the top 8, but given the poll options I'd have to say Brisbane making the 8 is more likely (than us making the 4). Can't see us finishing top 4, but fully expect us to be a 6th-8th side.

Excellent post, but I think you're really undermining the importance of 3 key injuries to our side this year.

Your team had a terrific run with injury, and as such were able to be a better team overall.

We had Leuenberger out for virtually the whole season, McGrath out for half the season, Staker missed the whole season. While it's not a valid excuse for the thrashings we received, but we also had to adjust to a new ruckman, who had a different style of rucking compared to Leuenberger.

Yeah Leuenberger was a huge loss. McGrath and Staker would've hurt too but I don't think they're any bigger losses than guys like Foley, Grimes and Vickery, who all played less than half the season.

If Richmond had of kicked as straight as their opposition every game this year they would have made top 4, hopefully we are not that far away. I can't say I rate Brisbane highly, probably cause we have beat them comfortably recently, even in Brisbane.

If Richmond had of kicked as straight as their opposition every game this year they would have made top 4, hopefully we are not that far away. I can't say I rate Brisbane highly, probably cause we have beat them comfortably recently, even in Brisbane.

If the Roos had kicked more goals and points than their oposition they would have won the flag and been the greatest side of all time. Hopefully that is not far away.

The bookies have it correct $4.50 Richmond top 4 (kicking straight or not) $3.50 Bris top 8.

14 wins 5 losses and 3 draws would not get you into the top 4 - not that is is even relevant. Bad kicking is bad football. If you tighten up or lacking skill you will miss a lot of goals and end up around 12th.

14 wins 5 losses and 3 draws would not get you into the top 4 - not that is is even relevant. Bad kicking is bad football. If you tighten up or lacking skill you will miss a lot of goals and end up around 12th.

Yes I apologise you are correct, I didnt realise saints had more scoring shots than us in a game we won.

I never said bad kicking was good football, what it shows is that "hopefully" we are not that far away. Just need a little more composure in both finishing and delivering the ball inside 50 and we could well be pushing top 4 next year.

Or maybe not,

but for most observers capable of looking at the reality of what happened, the fact that we were on top in general play in most of our games indicates good signs for the future for such a young group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I apologise you are correct, I didnt realise saints had more scoring shots than us in a game we won.

I never said bad kicking was good football, what it shows is that "hopefully" we are not that far away. Just need a little more composure in both finishing and delivering the ball inside 50 and we could well be pushing top 4 next year.

Or maybe not,

but for most observers capable of looking at the reality of what happened, the fact that we were on top in general play in most of our games indicates good signs for the future for such a young group.

I just think the Tiger supporters need to settle just a little bit - up and about after 12th??

How were you after 1995? Lost a prelim but was the start of a Golden era - missed the next 5 final series.

Then again in 2002 - Lost a prelim but was the start of a Golden era and missed the next 10 finals series - and still counting.

Now finshing 12th I cannot see top 4 with a weak backline and no midfield depth. Top 4 is a curse for you anyway.

I just think the Tiger supporters need to settle just a little bit - up and about after 12th??

How were you after 1995? Lost a prelim but was the start of a Golden era - missed the next 5 final series.

Then again in 2002 - Lost a prelim but was the start of a Golden era and missed the next 10 finals series - and still counting.

Now finshing 12th I cannot see top 4 with a weak backline and no midfield depth. Top 4 is a curse for you anyway.

I dont think there was anything over the top in my original post, I was only pointing out that we werent as far away this year as outright results indicated. I've been around long enough to have seen plenty of false dawns.

Having said that, I50 differential, contested possies differential, scoring shots differential we were well inside top 4 for all those stats. We may or may not improve this year and get there, but we are not as far away as most people think.

Edit ... I also dont think the tone of my posts was "up and about" as you put it.

Why so hostile? I don't think anyone's been over the top in this thread.

I don't think midfield depth is as bad as everyone says.

Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Foley, Tuck, Conca and Grigg are 7 good midfielders.

Why so hostile? I don't think anyone's been over the top in this thread.

I don't think midfield depth is as bad as everyone says.

Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Foley, Tuck, Conca and Grigg are 7 good midfielders.
Not hostile just not sure why hopes are so high. any 25 year supporter would not be buying into this. 1 gun,1 very good, 2 up and comers not there yet, one injury prone, 1 past their best and 1 very very average.

What's wrong with our backline?

Our forward line was worse this year. In 2011 our backline was no good, stepped up this year and should get even better with the inclusion of Chaplin in 2013.

Morris Chaplin Newman
Grimes Rance Houli

Would've thought that is a solid back 6.

Our forward line was worse this year. In 2011 our backline was no good, stepped up this year and should get even better with the inclusion of Chaplin in 2013.

Morris Chaplin Newman
Grimes Rance Houli

Morris Chaplin Newman
Grimes Rance Houli

Solid is not good enough for top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back