Unofficial Preview Richmond v Melbourne Casey Fields Saturday 4th March 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Only official practice match with a slightly extended squad with 26 players able to play. After a bit of a mixture last week with some kids joining a host of established stars to start against North, we're much more likely to get the 30 with emergencies included in contention for Round 1.

Team

B: D.Grimes - C 2 N.Balta 21 T.Young 45
HB: L.Baker 7 N.Vlastuin 1 D.Rioli 17
C: K.McIntosh 33 D.Prestia 3 J.Clarke 42
HF: T.Cotchin 9 S.Bolton 29 D.Martin 4
F: J.Riewoldt 8 N.Cumberland 38 T.Lynch 19
Foll: T.Nankervis 25 T.Taranto 14 J.Hopper 22
I/C: I.Soldo 20 N.Broad 35 J.Short 15 T.Dow 27 M.Rioli 10 S.Green 48 R.Mansell 31 S.Ryan 32

Emerg: S.Banks 41 T.Sonsie 40 H.Ralphsmith 13 B.Miller 46

Notable absentees: Jack Ross, Robbie Tarrant, Josh Gibcus, Jack Graham, Kaelan Bradtke, Marlion Pickett

Named for the VFL side.
13HUGORALPHSMITH
20KAELANBRADTKE
31RHYANMANSELL
32SAMSONRYAN
40TYLERSONSIE
41SAMUELBANKS
46BENMILLER

Last edited:
Only official practice match with a slightly extended squad with 26 players able to play. After a bit of a mixture last week with some kids joining a host of established stars to start against North, we're much more likely to get the 30 with emergencies included in contention for Round 1.

Team will be posted shortly.
I thought team was the day before the game?

Picked my 26, if Graham plays I see either Ryan or Soldo, not both

1. Martin
2. Bolton
3. Prestia
4. Lynch
5. Taranto
6. Hopper
7. Vlastuin
8. Riewoldt
9. Cotchin
10. D.Rioli
11. Baker
12. Nankervis
13. Grimes
14. Balta
15. KMac
16. Broad
17. M.Rioli
18. Cumberland
19. Short
20. Miller
21. Sonsie
22. Ross
23. Ralphsmith
24. Clarke
25. Ryan/Soldo
26. Graham?

EMG: Mansell, Campbell, Biggie

Unlucky: Dow, Brown, Green
On this back of Tarrant’s injury, they might play Young.
Grimes coming off injury from last season and Broad just getting over a hamstring, maybe another look at him

Picked my 26, if Graham plays I see either Ryan or Soldo, not both

1. Martin
2. Bolton
3. Prestia
4. Lynch
5. Taranto
6. Hopper
7. Vlastuin
8. Riewoldt
9. Cotchin
10. D.Rioli
11. Baker
12. Nankervis
13. Grimes
14. Balta
15. KMac
16. Broad
17. M.Rioli
18. Cumberland
19. Short
20. Miller
21. Sonsie
22. Ross
23. Ralphsmith
24. Clarke
25. Ryan/Soldo
26. Graham?

EMG: Mansell, Campbell, Biggie

Unlucky: Dow, Brown, Green
Why isn't Conti playing?:mad:

On this back of Tarrant’s injury, they might play Young.
Grimes coming off injury from last season and Broad just getting over a hamstring, maybe another look at him
I reckon you're right. I've got Ryan as a definite in too because Lynch will be on limited minutes.

I think Ralphsmith will play as cover for Bakes who will also be on limited minutes.

Will be interesting to see who gets the nod between Mansell and Cumberland. I can't see them having room for both in a 26 man squad given Bolton and MRJ are locks and Clarke is also ahead of them.

I reckon you're right. I've got Ryan as a definite in too because Lynch will be on limited minutes.

I think Ralphsmith will play as cover for Bakes who will also be on limited minutes.

Will be interesting to see who gets the nod between Mansell and Cumberland. I can't see them having room for both in a 26 man squad given Bolton and MRJ are locks and Clarke is also ahead of them.
Ryan looked excellent in the first praccy.
Not sure Soldo, plays. Nank, Miller R1 for me.

Mansell as a small forward! Wouldn’t have picked that. Dimma does have a history of trying players in new positions. Interesting to see where that one ends up. I’m a big Cumberland fan, if he misses r1, he’ll get back in eventually

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ot out scored (shots) by N Melb last week so but worried all the optimism has us winning 9 Brownlows this year may be slightly optimistic. Things must've gone wrong here and there, despite much vaunted new mids and talented youngs bolstering revitalised greats....actually I AM excited! Reckon we will walk away with 9 Brow
nlows and. Come 1st for at least 3 years* (* umpires permitting)

Last edited:

Mansell as a small forward! Wouldn’t have picked that. Dimma does have a history of trying players in new positions. Interesting to see where that one ends up. I’m a big Cumberland fan, if he misses r1, he’ll get back in eventually
Dunno why we'd try Mansell as a small forward ahead of Cumberland. Cumberland proved end of last year he's up to the role, thought he would get a go before Mansell.

Dunno why we'd try Mansell as a small forward ahead of Cumberland. Cumberland proved end of last year he's up to the role, thought he would get a go before Mansell.
Absolutely no doubt. Why would we turf him for an unproven fringe small forward? He's looking like becoming one of the premier small/medium forwards in the comp. He's also been training to add midifeld minutes to his game, will only improve on last year which was phenomenal.

With what happened v Norf with Cumberland - seems he's down the pecking order - which i'm not sure why as i think he is our ONLY genuine forward pocket option .... i also think he'll be our biggest improver this year ....

Just trying to remember Mansells role las Friday? He seemed to be all over the place, even inside f50 at time. Agreed re Cumberland, he’s a natural forward, who can make opportunities out of nothing

Absolutely no doubt. Why would we turf him for an unproven fringe small forward? He's looking like becoming one of the premier small/medium forwards in the comp. He's also been training to add midifeld minutes to his game, will only improve on last year which was phenomenal.
Yeah but if Mansell is selected in the 23, and Cumberland isn’t he may spend some time forward. MRJ is not going to play 120 minutes as an attacking/defensive small forward. And our other small/ medium forwards are more attacking types.

With what happened v Norf with Cumberland - seems he's down the pecking order - which i'm not sure why as i think he is our ONLY genuine forward pocket option .... i also think he'll be our biggest improver this year ....
dimma loves a battler and on some good shite 🍁🍄

My 26 prediction:

Grimes, Balta, Broad
Vlastuin, Young, Rioli
McIntosh, Hopper, Ralphsmith
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
Rioli jr, Lynch, Cotchin
Nankervis, Prestia, Taranto

Miller, Baker, Clarke, Cumberland, Sonsie, Ross, Short, Dow

i just hope we don't continual with the Short in the midfield experiment - we have enough good mids, don't need to try find another in Short

play him off the bench for both forward/wing/defense rotations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back