Unofficial Preview Richmond v Melbourne Casey Fields Saturday 4th March 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Soldo can go and get fu$ked. Complete liability. Our elderly players looked geriatric today. Jumping Jack Riewoldt can barely launch a few inches. Cotchin was as useless as last week. Grimes..... God I hope he's not passed it. Thank f@ck for Taranto and Baker today. Our backline sucked, as did our rucks, our forward entries were putrid more likely to pinpoint the defenders than put it to our forwards advantage. If Ryan's kicking wasn't woeful he would've been a big positive. Looks like Judson and Pickett for the wings this year. Dunno what to do with short. Sending D. Rioli down hbf has rejuvenated his career but it's killed Short.
max-gawn-popcorn.gif

A very solid reminder to the fanbase that we were more than 2 key mids short last year. The backline, despite the names looking awesome on paper, is defensively more porous than unsealed porcelain. Our goals Vs OFI15 was and has remained an issue

Rucks were a problem last year and we did nothing to address it.

Just a practice match & Melbourne have had our number since their rise, but a solid reminder that our problems last year were a bit more than just "bad luck"

A very solid reminder to the fanbase that we were more than 2 key mids short last year. The backline, despite the names looking awesome on paper, is defensively more porous than unsealed porcelain. Our goals Vs OFI15 was and has remained an issue

Rucks were a problem last year and we did nothing to address it.

Just a practice match & Melbourne have had our number since their rise, but a solid reminder that our problems last year were a bit more than just "bad luck"
We need a better "Team Defence" structure. I really hope it was a case of keeping the powder dry, but the lack of pressure around the stoppages is what really came to the fore today. If we can get those stoppages cleaned up then we should look ok.

We need to accept that it looks like we have lost the running lanes Short used to use back in 20 and we have also lost the ability to really slow up the oppositions transition.

Forwardline is not working. You cant have cotch and jack in the same forwardline, they are both too slow to chase and apply no pressure.

Hope we dont wait to round 10 to work this out.

Its not just Cotch and Jack, obviously Lynch as well and also Dusty. Bolton also doesn't apply defensive pressure but atleast is quick when we have the ball. There is no point just having 1 player in MRJ applying pressure as there are so many free players for them to give the ball to, they can never be under pressure.

TBH I can see Baker having to be thrown forward in round 1 after half time to try and fix everything.

We need a better "Team Defence" structure. I really hope it was a case of keeping the powder dry, but the lack of pressure around the stoppages is what really came to the fore today. If we can get those stoppages cleaned up then we should look ok.

We need to accept that it looks like we have lost the running lanes Short used to use back in 20 and we have also lost the ability to really slow up the oppositions transition.

Agree. It's what happens when you build a backline & prioritise attack before defence. When we attack quick from the backline and happen to turn it over, we are at 6 & 7s.

Add to that we have made our forward line so slow after basing all our success over speed & pressure from that half - unless we are holding a part of our gameplan back to keep it in our belt.... its hard to see how this set-up will work at the top level

Last edited:
We haven't had a decent ruck/forward since Ottens.

We had some decent one's - just not elite like Otto was

Stafford was decent. Simmonds was decent. Since then tho.....

I really hope the club has a hard look and think about Tom DeKoning who will be out of contract soon. We are likely topped up in our cap as bad as anyone, but it would be well worth looking at shredding our cap space by trading out a couple of players to get more HQ picks in, while also opening up the cap space to get someone who fills a hole which we have clearly had for a few years now.

even without trading players out, the club needs to think very hard this off-season when thinking of re-signing anyone too old. With Riewoldt, Cotchin, Grimes, Dusty, Tarrant, Prestia all questionable beyond this season - club should be looking at clearing space after this season big time to start to try and rebuild bigtime with a new top end young core

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forwardline is not working. You cant have cotch and jack in the same forwardline, they are both too slow to chase and apply no pressure.

Hope we dont wait to round 10 to work this out.
Similar to the 'Noah Balta forward' nonsense.

Cotch looks best in the midfield, they got the ball out our defence way too easily IMO

Footy feels so sterile to me these days. Just can't into it with the new rules and over umpiring.
Yep tbh i have not really regained any of the lost enthusiasm from the joke which was last season with the clearly biased umpiring that was capped off with the Brisbane final

Makes me sad to say it, but i think my passion for other interest has surpassed my passion for the game, at least in any meaningful way. The umpiring and the style it has created has created a pretty ordinary product, especially to those of us that have been around long enough to remember what it used to be like.

I thought the new blokes on 7 year deals were suppose to be the big bodied mids needed to prevent oppo mids waltzing away cleaning from stoppages .
Oliver ( nice hair bun and milk mo ) and pertracca did what they liked and just waltzed through and away from stoppages with ease .
Shoulda kept RCD and saved the pennies for a decent ruck/forward and end of season footy trip .

Last edited:
I thought we looked pretty similar to how we looked in the first 1/3rd of the last 4 seasons. The final results of those 4 seasons were 1st, 1st, 12th and 7th. After 8 rounds in those seasons we sat 6th, 9th, 8th and 8th.

There is no doubt our list is better stocked in 2023 than in either of the last 2 seasons. We were playing Melbourne, who have a fully honed game plan and were at their home ground. Melbourne in 2021 were as impressive over the whole season and finals as any Premier in recent memory, and they have essentially lost a Jackson and added Grundy and Hunter to their 2021 Grand Final team. So they are likely to be the hardest to beat in 2023 if they are fit and firing.

I think Hopper and Taranto are great recruits for us, but they were never going to be in the same class as Oliver and Petracca. We have plenty of time and a lot of weapons at our disposal that can trouble any team, but my impression is the first part of the season may be tough viewing for us again.

I am not worried about Nankervis or Soldo, they both looked fine to me for a practice match, remembering they are up against the 2 best rucks who were both fully fit and looking primed. Our rucks have shown they can work into seasons well and provide great value when it matters most, at a low salary tariff. Which is why our forward line is full of such dangerous players, and Melbourne’s isn’t. Our midfield will only get better. Short looks a bit lost there, but there are roles he has proven he can play well, so that will eventually sort itself out.

We need to be a bit patient I think.

Footy feels so sterile to me these days. Just can't into it with the new rules and over umpiring.
how dare you

22 season was da bestest eva footy ! stand rule is the best rule ever created and footy has never been better 🤪

thats the official position of the afl and its afl funded media 😂🤪

I think our forward line would be a lot more dangerous aerially with Samson Ryan in the team.

Ben Miller forward and 2nd ruck. More versatile, experienced and a lot more ready than Ryan.

Same concept that worked all second half of last season. Not sure if the coaches have heard of don't fix what ain't broke. Let's hope they come to their senses by round 1.

seriously why is it so hard for the umps to treat us equally ? what do we have to do ?

also how much longer will they keep this stand rule , footy so painful to watch these days. I have zero desire to watch a match

Somethings never change.
1st qtr-Dees player gets tackled drops the ball-Bakes gets into his back.Free kick Dees
3rd or 4th-Lever tries a fend off gets tackled.ball up.

But i must say we must tone down playing on the edge.We're not as good as we were 5yrs ago to get away with giving away stupid frees.

Positives:
Baker-What a warrior.
Vlas-Solid performance
D Rioli-Continued his run off HB.
Taranto-Doing everything right.
Clarke-Very happy with his progress.
Dow-Didn't look out of place.
Ryan-Played well in the 2nds.Followed up in the last.Something to work with.

Negatives
Our fwd line is a concern.Pretty much a 1 man band tall wise with Lynch 2017 again but without the hunger.

Concerns
What to do with Short?No impact anywhere fwd of D50.
Jr8-Giving Jack the BOD due to it being his 17th season but our fwd line with only Lynch as the target will be easy pickings for most sides.Has Jack still got it in him?

Positives-
-Liam Baker. Seriously how tough is this bloke? Two weeks off surgery and comes out and racks up 36 and a goal. Loved his link up game off half back.
-Tim Taranto. Was strong and tough at the contest but was also able to find uncontested footy. 13 score involvements which was the most on the ground.
-Tom Lynch. Great battle with Steven May. Tom was fairly underdone in match practise but competed very well.
-Clarke,Ryan,Dow,Young,Green. These kids showed a little glimpse of potential. Each one had moments yesterday that give some positivity to a fairly bleak day.
-Clearence work. I think in both praccys we’ve shown that we’ve improved dramatically in this area of the game. It has been a big focus in pre season and it looks to have improved. Round 1 will be a huge test with Cripps and potentially Walsh to combat.

Negatives-
-Defensive transition. Repeatedly Melbourne were able to slice us apart with run and kicking yesterday and out defenders were running around like chickens without a head. Broad, Grimes and vlastuin were not able to play their normal games at all and were all caught out multiple times trying to sag off but getting caught on very quick Melbourne forwrd movement. The Melbourne talls troubled our backs early which is becoming a worry without Tarrant and McKay and Curnow for round 1.
-Playing cute and turning it over. Especially in the first half we had players trying to do too much. Trying to bite off more then they can chew and hit passes that weren’t there or trying to evade tackles and tripping over our own feet. Too much cute and not enough blue collar work. You have to rattle Melbourne early to beat them. Not play into their hands with showpony bullshyte.
-Cotch&Jack. These two are going down as Richmond legends. Two of the greatest footballers ever to have played at the club. But this year is going to be a very difficult year for both of them. Cotch clearly cannot apply enough defensive pressure in fwd 50 to warrant a permanent role there. When the game is hot he was found out yesterday and that cannot be ignored. Jack struggled badly yesterday to find any separation from Melbournes very good defensive hand offs. He tried to push up the ground but we weren’t winning enough clean ball to hit him up. He tried moving back down deep a few times but we couldn’t get clean entries deep. His mobility is very far off the mark for KPF and this is a huge worry for mine.

Overall. Bleak afternoon. Made to look ordinary by a very sharp Melbourne team. Had some bright spots but also some red flags.
I’ve got Melbourne finishing on top of my ladder before yesterday so it wasn’t a huge surprise to see a skill gap. But there is going to have a be a big turn around in attitudes defensively to be a top 4 team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Richmond v Melbourne Casey Fields Saturday 4th March 4.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back