Richmonds dominant finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typical big footy smart arse responses, not a bad question posed though.

Richmond played a manic game that was pretty similar to what happened with the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs struggled to cope for a variety of reasons, on and off field. I've always thought a good way to expose this manic style is to kick over the zones and use bigger bodies and targets up forward to expose medium sized defenders.

Richmond will need to be mindful of this next year, so will need to back in their contested ball winners to the hilt and continue the physical hard running pressure game. Fitness is going to be key. Injuries will hurt them so keeping key players available and having depth is critical.

Can it be sustained? Sure can, but it's a pretty taxing style that I think has a short shelf life. If they won another flag they'd be stoked, but they'd be well and truly worked out after flag 2. It's why I think the Bulldogs can respond next year.

Richmond will also need to deal with the added focus by opposition. They'll be investing serious time into unravelling them next year.

This post sponsored by der fred.

Of course we will be hunted,clubs already playing grand finals,ceos resigning,players dropped,we are Richmond,everyonesgrandfinal!

Also champions 2017!

Richmond's pressure game would have to be different than other team's pressure games. Each of the ones who won premierships have failed to go on.

Collingwood with their hard tackling forward press that brutalised Geelong in the 2010 PF found it couldn't beat Geelong the next year, even though they had a 22-3 season in 2011.

Western Bulldogs missed finals this year.

Sydney in 2012 tackled the shit out of Hawthorn, but have failed to do any better since, even after adding Buddy (although I would say their pressure game is less adequate than it was).

Then there are all the failed Lyon teams who were based on 'manic pressure' that never won and burnt out quite quickly (where are St Kilda and Freo now).

So far, the signs are that pressure based styles don't have a long term sustainable basis. But that doesn't mean Richmond have to play the same way. Clarkson dropped the cluster in 2010 and changed to their pin point kicking game in 2011. The monkey off the back could easily allow Richmond to explore sustainable paths to consistent top four performances and premierships - Hardwick has secured his position for a few years and has experimented with styles in the past. Maybe there are more tricks up the sleeve?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now play two of those three games where they should have been played, lets see what the results are.
Grand finals will always be played at the g, are you going to whinge an whine each year a Victorian team wins? Hasn't stopped interstate teams winning in the past. By the way, tigers would have cleaned up the crows wherever the game was played, this wasn't a 2 goal game.

Richmond fans seem to have an inferiority complex re. their team. They can't gloat about the greatness of their team so they focus on the one thing they can gloat about - finals margins
The reverse I feel.

Richmond would have beaten Geelong at Simmonds,we were terrible but lost by only a tad over two goals with some terrible umpiring in the h and a.

Also Richmond fans would have outnumbered Geelong fans on their home patch in the first final.

Geez it’d be nice finishing 3rd and having home ground advantage at all 3 games when 2 of them should have been away games...
It would also be nice to have 11 games a year with a true home ground advantage. Interstate teams and geelong get an advantage to make the finals, Victorian teams get the advantage on grand final day if you are good enough to make it. Fair system.

Holy shit can Richmond supporters be banned from starting threads until the new season?
I don't remember WB posters coming out with pearlers like this after the 2016 GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back