Richo Should Win The MVP Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I know people will say that Ablett, Franklin, Bartel, Mitchell, Judd, Hodge, Cooney & a few others are more valuable than Richo, but let me ask do these players carry their teams as much as everyone believes that Richo carries Richmond?

So I put forward that Richo should be awarded the AFLPA's MVP award. The reasoning is simple many non Richmond people believe that without Richo, Richmond would not have finished 9th. I have read various posts on Big Footy saying that Richmond would be lost if it wasn't for Richo and his performances this year which have carried the side. Well considering MVP stands for Most Valuable Player, doesn't that sum up what Richo is, if everyone truly believes that Richo carried Richmond?

Just back on those players I named above would their teams still be capable of winning a similar amount of games if 1 of them wasn't playing. The answer is yes, Geelong didn't lose a game while Ablett was missing, Hawks have won games despite Buddy having quiet games or when Hodge has been missing. On the other hand everyone suggests that if Richo was gone Richmond would be stuffed.

*Note: Before you jump in with you're a Richmond fan so this is biased, feel free to have a look on the Richmond board and you will see that I am in no way a huge Richo fan, in fact I have stated many times that we would be better off without him.

nah, it's all well and good to say how much he has carried Richmond over the years

but you can't say that he should win it cos he is a great player in a crap team, that is unfair to all other players with teams that are doing well

it should be awarded to who the playersw recognise as the BEST player in the AFL
the Most Valuable Player name is just something taken from the US and A and shouldn't be taken literally to mean the most VALUABLE to a team, it just stands for the BEST

and, although Hawthorn and Geelong haven't lost as such when stars like Ablett and Franklin are out, when they are in they make a contest into a smashing.

eg. Ablett in the game at SS against Sydney in Rd 5, his last quarter, when the game was still very close an up for grabs, was up there with the best quarters of football i have ever seen with my own eyes, the crowd was in awe, almost shock at what he produced in that last quarter
i believe that in that game, he was the difference, he turned what was a close tight contest into the ABLETT SHOW EXTRAVAGANZA

Nup, Gary Ablett should win it. The most valuable player in the league by far. Any meeting when you are playing Geelong would start with discussing this bloke you can't say the same about playing Richmond and Richo. The only bloke that could come close is Buddy. They are not only the two best players in the comp but also the most valuable.

So I put forward that Richo should be awarded the AFLPA's MVP award. The reasoning is simple many non Richmond people believe that without Richo, Richmond would not have finished 9th.stuffed.

Oh come on, many non Richmond people believe that Terry Wallet deserves a lot of credit for getting them to 9th. :D

Where is the love for good old Tezza.

Franklin carried Hawks further. Without him Roughhead would be useless and probably rest of the forward line would be too

I wish people would make up their minds about this. We have some people who claim the Hawks are too Buddy conscious and totally ignoring Roughead, and we have other people who claim Roughead gets the ball more often because Franklin is out there. Mystifying.

You could have a point though. Collingwood don't have Franklin, and their forward is devoid of players who can get the ball. Roughead, Rioli, and just about any other Hawks forward you can mention would walk into the Collingwood line up.

I wish people would make up their minds about this. We have some people who claim the Hawks are too Buddy conscious and totally ignoring Roughead, and we have other people who claim Roughead gets the ball more often because Franklin is out there. Mystifying.

You could have a point though. Collingwood don't have Franklin, and their forward is devoid of players who can get the ball.

Especially Cloke against the Hawks.

What a number Croady has done on him this year. :thumbsu:

Looks like we're well into "recognition month" for 2008.

That predictable time in August/Sept when fans endlessly spruik their own players for all manner of awards or simple recognition.

Doesnt even matter to some if they're deserved...just throw the names out there and find any argument to support it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the the award was taken quite literally to mean the player most valuable to their team then Richo would be right up there as would Pavlich but I think when the award was named I think what they had in mind is that it would be awarded to the leagues most valuable player which IMO is Ablett. I'd love Richo to win something but it would be a bit of a farce if we had an award for players that stand out in poor teams.

it should be awarded to who the playersw recognise as the BEST player in the AFL
the Most Valuable Player name is just something taken from the US and A and shouldn't be taken literally to mean the most VALUABLE to a team, it just stands for the BEST

No it doesn't - it stands for the most valuable player. If they wanted a best player award, they would have called it 'The Best Player Award'.

From the AFLPA site:
"The Leigh Matthews Trophy for Most Valuable Player is awarded to the player acknowledged by AFL players to have displayed leadership, versatility, ability to play under pressure, skill and courage, respect for all players and overall value to a team."

Nowhere does it say Best Player - that is implied as one of the categories, but there is much more than that.

If you want to award a Best Player in the AFL (and don't like the Brownlow), make up your own award. Your opinion is as good as anybody elses.

No it doesn't - it stands for the most valuable player. If they wanted a best player award, they would have called it 'The Best Player Award'.

From the AFLPA site:
"The Leigh Matthews Trophy for Most Valuable Player is awarded to the player acknowledged by AFL players to have displayed leadership, versatility, ability to play under pressure, skill and courage, respect for all players and overall value to a team."

Nowhere does it say Best Player - that is implied as one of the categories, but there is much more than that.

If you want to award a Best Player in the AFL (and don't like the Brownlow), make up your own award. Your opinion is as good as anybody elses.

I wasn't aware of the bolded part. It still however seems to only be one of many attributes they judge the award on so you'd still think Ablett would be in front by a fair way.

Now I know people will say that Ablett, Franklin, Bartel, Mitchell, Judd, Hodge, Cooney & a few others are more valuable than Richo, but let me ask do these players carry their teams as much as everyone believes that Richo carries Richmond?

So I put forward that Richo should be awarded the AFLPA's MVP award. The reasoning is simple many non Richmond people believe that without Richo, Richmond would not have finished 9th. I have read various posts on Big Footy saying that Richmond would be lost if it wasn't for Richo and his performances this year which have carried the side. Well considering MVP stands for Most Valuable Player, doesn't that sum up what Richo is, if everyone truly believes that Richo carried Richmond?

Just back on those players I named above would their teams still be capable of winning a similar amount of games if 1 of them wasn't playing. The answer is yes, Geelong didn't lose a game while Ablett was missing, Hawks have won games despite Buddy having quiet games or when Hodge has been missing. On the other hand everyone suggests that if Richo was gone Richmond would be stuffed.

*Note: Before you jump in with you're a Richmond fan so this is biased, feel free to have a look on the Richmond board and you will see that I am in no way a huge Richo fan, in fact I have stated many times that we would be better off without him.

So Richo carried Richmond to ninth? ninth, the wasteland that is ninth, no finals, no top picks.
Thats ^ another way of looking at it.

I think you're underselling the Tiges a bit (or maybe responding to others underselling the Tiges), but Richmonds "success" this year is imo due to some younger players stepping up and complimenting Richo's outstanding season.
Richo's a worthy MVP, just not for the reasons you stated.

Richmond will be a top 8 side next year.

From the AFLPA site:

David Hille would be an absolute show in for the award then hey???

His contribution to Essendon, plus his leadership, versatility and ability to play under pressure is, IMO, above Richo (who I rate very highly).

I still mantain that it is essentially a "Best Overall Player" award. When the players vote do you think they are going to go "hmmmm, Ablett was great, but they didn't lose without him, and Buddy is awesome, but they would probably still be 2nd if he was injured."

With all of that being said, I think Richo would be an extremely worthy winner, and I would probably like to see him win it more than anyone else in the AFL, but I can't see it happening...

Buddy is no more valuable than Fevola. Only 6 goals between them. How can 98 goals take 2nd but 92 goals doesn't get a figure?

watched them both play?

it is the fact franklin doesnt stay in the forwar dline, he racks up touches playing midfield or HB as well. perfect example is the brisbane game. only a goal in it and match is dead. franklin clears ball from half back ruck contest, 2 bounces inside 50 to i am not sure who, and ended up being a goal...

Especially Cloke against the Hawks.

What a number Croady has done on him this year. :thumbsu:

Surely you're not talking about that Future All Everything Gun Travis Cloke, are you? Where is Spartan Magpie?

Would Fev not be a dark horse for MVP in much the same way the OP states Richo's case?

Will Richo win Richmond's B&F ? Surely he will be pushed all the way by Deledio.

If you want to award it to the player who is Most Valuable to their team Pavlich and Riewoldt are standouts.

They will double the next highest votegetters in their teams B&F. A sad reflection on both St Kilda and Fremantle who are supposed to be teams full of potential, but rely on too few.

If Ablett played for Richmond, im sure he would carry the side aswell - actually I think Ablett would be even better in a weaker side, he works that hard, and often gets overlooked by some of his team mates at Geelong that are craving recognition..

Yet still, Richo has had a great yr, id slot him in the top 5 somewhere..

Ablett, Corey, Boomer, Cooney, Richo..

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo Should Win The MVP Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Back