Riewoldt's special treatment beyond a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

He's the recipient of one of the most disgraceful free kicks given, ever.

But, he has his arms chopped more than any other player in the league, especially when he's fit and running hard.

The chopping of the arm clamp down four years ago probably benefited him over any other player, but that's more a testement to his pace and willingness to run more than anything else. Defenders have to try their luck hitting his arms, because he's too quik and clever for them.

I just wish he'd stop havnig full body spasms every time he can't take a mark, and more importantly, I wish the umpires started ignoring them.*

*Yes, I am aware that Brad Johnson was very good at diving for a free kick, and that crapped me off more than Nick Reiwoldt doing it, I can assure you.

I still cannot erase the image of Lachy Hansen giving him a gentle nudge in the back as has been going on since time immemorial in footy off the ball, Riewoldt falling as if shot by a sniper and his big pleading eyes straight to the umpire who duly obliged.

Still, if the umps pay them every time ...

Didnt see any special treatment whatsoever for Riewoldt. Is this the usual generic thread whenever he gets a free kick ?

If you're referring to the stupid umpire call for the deliberate rushed behind that didnt cost them the game either.

I would've thought the tiges were lucky..not often Milne has that many misses. Admirable that Harwick put the kid Concha on him but it was carnage. Saints should have been up by 5 goals at qtr, they were that dominant early, and would have had the young tiges heads down. They were pathetic in front of goal. Instead the tiges felt they were still in it and lifted when JR went off crook...then the tiges started missing their opps too.

Good Fri night game.

Anyone find it laughable a Collingwood supporter starting a thread about Riewoldts special treatment? If this is the case why does he average less than one free a game against Collingwood?

As for Riewoldt I believe its the fact the umps miss so many infringements on him that when they finally call one remembering hes in 20+ contests a game everyone calls soft.

Someone from the Bulldogs complaining about St Kilda and umpiring. What a surprise.
And talk about the pot calling the kettle black! The less mature from your club haven't stopped whingeing since that Prelim two years ago and here you are bagging someone else for whingeing. Hilarious!
And I'm sure it was Nick's fault that Lake, or whoever it was, went out and knocked him over again, off the ball, after he'd apparently been explicitly warned not to do it again.
If he's that dumb to do it again he gets all he deserves. And yet some of you are still blaming Nick, not him. Very mature. Way to go.
But please, don't let me stop you whingeing about someone else whingeing. It really is amusing.
Must be tough to take being one the most dominant H&A teams in the game's history, and to barely even make the GF (your own coach acknowledged post-match just how unbelievably fortunate the Saints were to get over the line in the PF against an opponent that they toyed with during the season) let alone not win the premiership.

The umpires do not miss much when it comes to Riewoldt but there was nothing untoward about his treatment last night. Umpires are human and Riewoldt does not back-chat - of course he is going to get the rub of the green compared to his key forward contemporaries. Is it fair? Life's not fair, get used to it. It's all swings and roundabouts anyway - for all of Riewoldt's so-called luck on the field, he sure has been shit out of luck off it recently.

So a player receives an uncontested ball, takes a man on, ****s it up and immediately handballs through the goals, from 25 meters away, and Riewoldt is the umpires pet for getting to take the obvious kick?

Cool story bro.

Might have been just a tad closer than that ;)

St Nick still has that bad habit of looking straight at the umpire after contact though.

The bloke makes his own "luck". Work hard enough that tends to happen. Plus he's smart enough to know the umps luv their own work whenever a big name treats them with respect rather than contempt. You can go off at em occasionally but they've never been as anal as they are these days...Geishen and the AFL have the wagons securely circled 24/7 including spinning out mistakes. No value in being captain cranky these days. That might appease our innate desire to abuse them constantly but if you're captaining an AFL club you'd be pretty stupid yeah.
Selwood works hard too...makes his own "luck" also. Thing is that it isnt really luck at all.

Tonight's umpiring cost us the game

As a neutral; I reckon the umpiring was poor over the entire game but I don't think it favoured one particular side or the other in the end. There were some shocking decisions paid against St Kilda in the second quarter, but by the end it was about square. The Umpires just had a stinker overall - they were being so reactive to the emotion of the game. :thumbsdown:

Must be tough to take being one the most dominant H&A teams in the game's history, and to barely even make the GF (your own coach acknowledged post-match just how unbelievably fortunate the Saints were to get over the line in the PF against an opponent that they toyed with during the season) let alone not win the premiership.

The umpires do not miss much when it comes to Riewoldt but there was nothing untoward about his treatment last night. Umpires are human and Riewoldt does not back-chat - of course he is going to get the rub of the green compared to his key forward contemporaries. Is it fair? Life's not fair, get used to it. It's all swings and roundabouts anyway - for all of Riewoldt's so-called luck on the field, he sure has been shit out of luck off it recently.

Good post until the last line. There's nothing unlucky about being a moron off field as he was.

I agree that he does relative to the ones mentioned, for instance, but two or more wrongs don't make a right, do they? It ought to be the others getting more, not Nick getting less.
There are also plenty missed for Nick, too, because as I said, the chopping of the arms, especially, goes on week after week, as they know if they don't do it he'll almost certainly mark it and if they do chop them there's possibly a 50/50 chance they'll get away with it and often they do.

I think you'd find most supporters of all teams would be happier with less frees for all rather than increasing them to match Nick's heights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah the Prince. Well the commentators love him so much that it rubs off and the Umpires must be ss in case they get it wrong and are then criticised by those very same commentators.
Yes he does get favoured treatment but when you are in the opposing team and watching his antics just look hard and you will see that photo in all its glory. Helps a little bit.

Everytime he get's a bit of physical attention you can almost guarantee a whistle. It's the total opposite to Franklin, where he get's monstered off the ball week in week out, dosen't get a free & as soon as he tackles his opponent the umpires are right on him. I fear the day the umpires start rewarding Buddy the same free kicks as Riewoldt gets, because Buddy will rip every backline a new a$$ole.

Been happening to Barry Hall for years.

The rushed behind decision was blatantly incorrect.

Even if it was a correct decision, Riewoldt should not have been the player to take the kick. The player who tackled McGuane was much closer to the ball.

It was a botch-up in every respect. The deliberate rule will cost a team a flag one day. It was the wrong solution to a time-wasting tactic.

Yet the saints got a way with a simple tap over the goal line late in the day.

The thing with the mguane free he was first to the ball and 2 saints players nearby.

That player always gets reamed and its one thing about the game which stinks

Even if it was a correct decision, Riewoldt should not have been the player to take the kick. The player who tackled McGuane was much closer to the ball.

It was a botch-up in every respect. The deliberate rule will cost a team a flag one day. It was the wrong solution to a time-wasting tactic.

That's the truth.. Even if it was a free kick, I don't see how it can be justified giving the kick to someone who wasn't even involved in the contest, instead of the player who actually 'forced the error'..

Been happening to Barry Hall for years.
And then Barry Hall pretty much exposed this problem to everyone after he put Scott Thompson in one of the best headlocks that I've seen on the field. Hell, even the umpires said afterwards that if they actually had paid him a free kic kthen there wouldn't have been a problem.

It's just like with Staker having niggled and been hanging off of him for the entire match before getting decked.

So a player receives an uncontested ball, takes a man on, ****s it up and immediately handballs through the goals, from 25 meters away, and Riewoldt is the umpires pet for getting to take the obvious kick?

Cool story bro.

LOL how could you be so blind??

He picked the ball up UNDER PRESSURE, (who did he take on?) fumbled it, and from about a length of a goalsquare-9m, handballed it through, while being tackled.

Not arguing it was or wasn't there, just your version of events..

25m...seriously

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt's special treatment beyond a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back