Riewoldt's special treatment beyond a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly I have to agree. There was a time in the third (i think) where Riewoldt literally monstered (essentially tackled) a richmond player out of a ground ball contest despite being 4 metres from the ball! I thought it was bloody ridiculous - but didn't make a big deal of it beccause its just me.

To come on and see this thread really just reinforces what I was thinking last night.

I do agree as a St.Kilda supporter. It actually has become a bit annoying as late. Back in the day.. he used to get a lot of marks in pack situations and used to take the mark even if there was a free paid.. but these days say on the lead and someone is behind him in contest he kinda jumps and looks down as if his being pushed or arms have been chopped (when theres no contact). Its actually getting obvious game by game.

I do agree as a St.Kilda supporter. It actually has become a bit annoying as late. Back in the day.. he used to get a lot of marks in pack situations and used to take the mark even if there was a free paid.. but these days say on the lead and someone is behind him in contest he kinda jumps and looks down as if his being pushed or arms have been chopped (when theres no contact). Its actually getting obvious game by game.
Personally, I think it's up to the umpires to do something about this. Make it known that as soon as you start playing for free kicks like that, you go on their black list, and you simply don't get any.

There were a number of occassions last night where he ran under the ball on the lead. It was almost as if he was trying to milk a free kick.

Personally, I think it's up to the umpires to do something about this. Make it known that as soon as you start playing for free kicks like that, you go on their black list, and you simply don't get any.

Has the position from the AFL on staging changed or more to the point is it still a rule?...I've never seen it implement

2010 tribunal changes

PLAYERS staging for free kicks will face financial sanctions this season after the AFL implemented changes resulting from its annual tribunal review.

In terms of Riewoldt getting special treatment, the failure to pay a 50 against him was much worse. Any other player in the league and that would have been a 50 every single time. If Cam Mooney or Barry Hall did it, they would be banned for 3 years and given 100 lashes in the town square. But with Nick there's a slight pause from the umpire, then... nothing.

Meanwhile the commentators are falling over themselves to explain how their precious darling pet tripped over but of course there's no need to give a free kick to him on this occasion.

The commentary aspect is getting so bad that I'm not sure how many more Saints games I can handle watching...

In terms of Riewoldt getting special treatment, the failure to pay a 50 against him was much worse. Any other player in the league and that would have been a 50 every single time. If Cam Mooney or Barry Hall did it, they would be banned for 3 years and given 100 lashes in the town square. But with Nick there's a slight pause from the umpire, then... nothing.

Meanwhile the commentators are falling over themselves to explain how their precious darling pet tripped over but of course there's no need to give a free kick to him on this occasion.

The commentary aspect is getting so bad that I'm not sure how many more Saints games I can handle watching...
But it does make winning a premiership against them all the more special. :D

Been happening to Barry Hall for years.
Yeah, same with Richo. Bloody hell, if Richo had've got the run that Reiwoldt gets he would've kicked another couple hundred goals.

I can't think of a player that the umpires appear to favour more. It's good to be the golden boy.

I agree, he's starting to get the Mathew Lloyd's about him. Lloyd was a fine player in his early 20s but then realised the umpires love him and start staging for frees in most marking contests. Roo isn't at that point and still goes for his marks but when he's out of position he is staging for the frees - and getting them. The umpires tend to put the whistle away in big finals though so it's a bad habit to get into. Wouldn't mind a few weeks of Franklin/Hall umpiring to snap him out of it to be honest. He doesn't need to do it.

What about the fact you're still crying about it after all this time? Is that "good" too?

As good as Saints fans still complaining about Hawkins' poster the week after. :rolleyes:

Sorry but that's laughable. What stats have you got on the frees that were missed?

Ratio of frees for : frees against, last 10 years:

3.01 Riewoldt
1.21 Tredrea
1.05 Lloyd
1.02 Brown
0.97 Pavlich, Richardson
0.93 Gehrig
0.88 O'Loughlin, Roughead
0.85 Fevola
0.83 Koschitzke
0.71 Mooney
0.67 A.Rocca, S.Rocca
0.62 Neitz
0.59 Lynch
0.51 Hall
0.49 Franklin

It's laughable alright. Open the other eye.

The umpires tend to put the whistle away in big finals though so it's a bad habit to get into.

Good observation. Got mauled a few times in last year's GF's and didn't get the frees.

I still cannot erase the image of Lachy Hansen giving him a gentle nudge in the back as has been going on since time immemorial in footy off the ball, Riewoldt falling as if shot by a sniper and his big pleading eyes straight to the umpire who duly obliged.

Still, if the umps pay them every time ...

Yeah I know. I personally think Riewoldt is a stager.

When you take into account Riewoldts staging/cheating, horrible kicking, petulant behaviour, churlish attitude, off field incidents and choking it up in 3 consecutive GFs, he has really blown his chance at being remembered as a great footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3.01 Riewoldt
1.21 Tredrea
1.05 Lloyd
1.02 Brown
0.97 Pavlich, Richardson
0.93 Gehrig
0.85 Fevola
0.83 Koschitzke
0.71 Mooney
0.67 A.Rocca, S.Rocca
0.62 Neitz
0.59 Lynch
0.51 Hall
0.49 Franklin

Those free kick stats are diabolical. Umpires are deadset cheats. If Franklin got the favours from umpires that Riewoldt does, then he would be pretty much unstoppable.

3.01 Riewoldt
1.21 Tredrea
1.05 Lloyd
1.02 Brown
0.97 Pavlich, Richardson
0.93 Gehrig
0.85 Fevola
0.83 Koschitzke
0.71 Mooney
0.67 A.Rocca, S.Rocca
0.62 Neitz
0.59 Lynch
0.51 Hall
0.49 Franklin

Good observation. Got mauled a few times in last year's GF's and didn't get the frees.

Remarkable stats.Umpires have made his career for him.

So you think riewoldt plays for frees more then didak?

Have you ever watched rewoldt's opponents...they never watch the ball

The reason got the free for the rushed behind was because he was the closest St Kilda player to the ball, IDIOTS. For those saying 'umpires have made his career' and 'he wouldn't be in the top 30 players if it wasn't for the umps' all i can say is HAHA. Maybe watch the bloke live, see how hard he runs and works his opponents into the ground. Few defenders can match him, so they often resort to illegal tactics. Cannot believe this thread it is garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt's special treatment beyond a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back