Riewoldt's special treatment beyond a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown was 19-20 years old playing 2nd forward to Lynch, Riewoldt was (is) in the prime of his career and the only decent forward target in his team. Also, if i recall correctly, Brown played one GF with a broken hand, and one with a bit of bone floating around in his knee....not the best comparison.
Yeah and Riewoldt in 09 played with a torn abductor, in the wet. In 2010 he wasnt his greatest but was still good, in the replay wasnt his best. Your point being. In saying that Riewoldt wasnt at his best in any of them but he was far from disgraced.

Yeah and Riewoldt in 09 played with a torn abductor, in the wet. In 2010 he wasnt his greatest but was still good, in the replay wasnt his best. Your point being. In saying that Riewoldt wasnt at his best in any of them but he was far from disgraced.
My point being that perhaps Brown's age and injuries in the Grand Finals are the reason for his (below career) average stats. 2009 Riewoldt has an excuse, 2010 Riewoldt failed to perform twice, including an embarrasing effort at goal which no doubt didn't help team moral (Heath Shaw smother). I have no doubt that if Browny got a chance to play in a Grand Final at his peak, he'd kill it. Always steps up when needed, something that Riewoldt has failed to do on the biggest stage of all, in the prime of his career.

My point being that perhaps Brown's age and injuries in the Grand Finals are the reason for his (below career) average stats. 2009 Riewoldt has an excuse, 2010 Riewoldt failed to perform twice, including an embarrasing effort at goal which no doubt didn't help team moral (Heath Shaw smother). I have no doubt that if Browny got a chance to play in a Grand Final at his peak, he'd kill it. Always steps up when needed, something that Riewoldt has failed to do on the biggest stage of all, in the prime of his career.

Mate Riewoldt has won semi and prelim finals for us off his own boot.

Brown has done squat in finals let along GF's and nwadays annually only plays 11 games a year, 5 good ones before going "yeah,nah Im tough"

The guys so over rated its not funny and finished to I might add.

Brown has done squat in finals let along GF's and nwadays annually only plays 11 games a year, 5 good ones before going "yeah,nah Im tough"

Is Browny finished? Oh, must have missed that. Ah well, i guess he'll have a nice retirement polishing his 3 premiership medallions and his Coleman medal.

Is Browny finished? Oh, must have missed that. Ah well, i guess he'll have a nice retirement polishing his 3 premiership medallions and his Coleman medal.

And good on him - its a team sport hes achieved the highest team accolade. Many great players havent - see Gary Ablett Snr.....whats your point?

But yes he's done and still got nowhere near dominating a final like Riewoldt -who has kicked the winning goal to put us into a GF and kicked 5 in a semi against Pies.

because you're allowed to rush a behind if under pressure.
Umpires shouldn't be allowed to make that decision unless they are a past player.
Ask them to define "pressure".........answer.......a wrong call.
Now we find that they are now "ruling" the game......not being impartial, like they should be.

And good on him - its a team sport hes achieved the highest team accolade. Many great players havent - see Gary Ablett Snr.....whats your point?

But yes he's done and still got nowhere near dominating a final like Riewoldt -who has kicked the winning goal to put us into a GF and kicked 5 in a semi against Pies.
Riewoldt has played in what, the last 3-4 finals series(?) in the prime of his career, of course he'll have dominated some of them. Brown hasn't had the same opportunity, so you can hardly make a comparison there.

As for Browny being finished, he seemed in much better touch then Nick this season (albeit for only half a game) before his unfortunate injury. 3 goals, lining up for a 4th in just over half a game, Riewoldt kicked 1 in his first game, then 3 in the second, one from a free kick that should have been given to Archer(?) (the handball through the goals one) and one from the ball falling into his hands in an open goal square after Goddard dropped a mark....but yeah, I guess that points to Browny being finished :confused:.

Steve McBurney won you the 2009 Prelim, not Riewoldt.

Steve McBurney won you the 2009 Prelim, not Riewoldt.

Yeah because it was really McBurney that took a contested mark in the last 5 minutes and kicked a goal to put us in front and then soccered another off the ground to seal it.:rolleyes:

Riewoldt also does not have a punchable face like Franklin.

You're kidding right? Riewoldt is the ugliest pretty boy i've ever seen.

If you're born ugly, embrace it like Cameron Ling. It is endearing. But this punce bleaches his hair, fake tans, does strange things with teammates and parades around like he's an adonis.

At least when your side loses on the back of Franklin, Hall, Brown or Riewoldt's more talented cousin you can walk away thinking they were too good. Likewise the great midfielders Judd, Ablett, Pendlebury and Swan.

But thousands of footy fans leave games against St Kilda knowing that if it weren't for the umpires gifting Riewoldt goals they'd have won the game. Richmond would have won on Friday night. Bulldogs would have played in a GF in 09.

His free kick ratio is about 3 times that of any other forward this decade. He's a cheat and a sook. The only consolation is that the umpires let the game go in grand finals and Riewoldt's influence goes with it. He has embarrassed himself in 3 grand finals because the umpires would not gift him an influence.

Probably the most punchable bloke in the game.

Bleaches his hair? I think you'll find Riewoldt is naturally blonde unlike your ex-chf Brereton who is a ranga but bleaches it blonde.

Also if Riewoldt only influences games because of the umpires then how come he has won 4 All Australians and is regularly rated in the best few players in the competition by both the media and other players? Are all those esteemed football judges wrong or should we all listen to the opinion of some muppet on bigfooty with NFI instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're kidding right? Riewoldt is the ugliest pretty boy i've ever seen.

If you're born ugly, embrace it like Cameron Ling. It is endearing. But this punce bleaches his hair, fake tans, does strange things with teammates and parades around like he's an adonis.

At least when your side loses on the back of Franklin, Hall, Brown or Riewoldt's more talented cousin you can walk away thinking they were too good. Likewise the great midfielders Judd, Ablett, Pendlebury and Swan.

But thousands of footy fans leave games against St Kilda knowing that if it weren't for the umpires gifting Riewoldt goals they'd have won the game. Richmond would have won on Friday night. Bulldogs would have played in a GF in 09.

His free kick ratio is about 3 times that of any other forward this decade. He's a cheat and a sook. The only consolation is that the umpires let the game go in grand finals and Riewoldt's influence goes with it. He has embarrassed himself in 3 grand finals because the umpires would not gift him an influence.

Probably the most punchable bloke in the game.

haha funny man u should be thankful the aa captain in 09 was injured last year and gave duddy franklin a chance to make the side...... The ROO earns every kick he gets he runs fools like gilham and co ragged and by the time the ball gets within his vicinity they are hanging off him cos they cant get near him.

REIWOLDT > duddy

It is a sad indictment on your side. Riewoldt has to kick a winning score because he and Milne and the only forwards you have. Re Jonathan Brown, I know who I would rather have at CHF. Not dominating a final eh? Hmmm 2004 Qualifying Final ring a bell matey? 6 goals and BOG against the Saints in an 80 point thrashing. I also note you use the term "final" and not GRAND final hmmm...

Yeah because it was really McBurney that took a contested mark in the last 5 minutes and kicked a goal to put us in front and then soccered another off the ground to seal it.:rolleyes:

No he didn't, but he did pay an absolutely soft free kick at the start of the second half which totally changed the momentum of the game.

Even if it was a correct decision, Riewoldt should not have been the player to take the kick. The player who tackled McGuane was much closer to the ball.

It was a botch-up in every respect. The deliberate rule will cost a team a flag one day. It was the wrong solution to a time-wasting tactic.

That's the truth.. Even if it was a free kick, I don't see how it can be justified giving the kick to someone who wasn't even involved in the contest, instead of the player who actually 'forced the error'..
And why do you think the free was taken from the goal line and not 15m out? Because it's paid to the player who was closest to where the ball goes over the line, which was Riewoldt. I'd suggest watching the whole incident before including it in your conspiracy theories.:rolleyes:

So, so wrong.
Brown >>> Reiwoldt.
That's all their is to it. Any team needing a physical presence capable of taking contested marks and kicking pressure goals would select J. Brown ahead of N. Reiwoldt every single time.

No-one ever wins a game of their own boot. At the end of a game, all of the moments and goalkickers contribute to the final result, to say that a single player 'won' the game for their team is frankly absurd.

And why do you think the free was taken from the goal line and not 15m out? Because it's paid to the player who was closest to where the ball goes over the line, which was Riewoldt. I'd suggest watching the whole incident before including it in your conspiracy theories.:rolleyes:

Well you can point that out if you like..
And I will just counter by ponting out that the umpiring fraternity conceded that they'd made a mistake in paying the free in the first place. But they are not going to take the goal away from the Saints that they didn't deserve to get, are they?

Well you can point that out if you like..
And I will just counter by ponting out that the umpiring fraternity conceded that they'd made a mistake in paying the free in the first place. But they are not going to take the goal away from the Saints that they didn't deserve to get, are they?
The thread is about Riewoldt. Do you think they only paid the free because it was Riewoldt?

He tends to get them at critical moments of the game too. I'm surprised there isn't a Dogs supporter here to talk about the 2009 finals...

Dont worry, I'm here. One of my biggest pet hates is how this bloke just keeps getting soft free kicks week after week.

He actually plays for free kicks and the umpires just keep paying them. You would think they would wise up a bit if they watched the replays.

Having had him virtually pinch the 2009 prelim final ... I have since paid attention to his antics. Good player, but gee he gets a good run.

For all his faults, and very little positive attributes, we'll just have to make do with him. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt's special treatment beyond a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back