Riley Garcia - OOC 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Garcia has been incredibly unlucky to not play more senior football in 2024, and is in rare air with his stat lines in the VFL this season. Clearly far too good to be playing reserves, the 23-year-old is the victim of the Bulldogs’ senior side midfield being so strong; stuck behind Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore and Adam Treloar – not to mention the rise of Ed Richards on-ball. Born and bred in Western Australia, Garcia will naturally be talked about as a trade target for the Dockers and Eagles to poach. But the likes of Port Adelaide could also benefit from his services, and have previously been flagged as a club with interest in him. There’s definitely a world where Garcia stays put at Whitten Oval, but as a player in high demand he is well within his rights to assess his options elsewhere.

I want to keep him and he should have played more AFL this season, but hard to begrudge a guy who moves for more opportunity.

Do West Coast come knocking? Could he form part of a Nathan O'Driscoll trade with Freo?

I want to keep him and he should have played more AFL this season, but hard to begrudge a guy who moves for more opportunity.

Do West Coast come knocking? Could he form part of a Nathan O'Driscoll trade with Freo?

What did you think of the decision to bring in James Harmes ahead of some other players including Garcia?

What did you think of the decision to bring in James Harmes ahead of some other players including Garcia?
I was against it at the time, then he played some decent footy for us early, then was injured.
Played well in the VFL after his injury but was terrible on Friday night.

I'm still not sure it was the right decision. There's a chance we lose Macrae & Garcia but have Harmes on the list next year.

It sounds like he wants to stay in Victoria. I do think O'Driscoll goes elsewhere other then Bulldogs. I think once Peryyman makes his decision the clubs who were offering money for Perryman come in for NOD and Doggies get priced out of the move.

Fully expect he goes to a club like Geelong.

It sounds like he wants to stay in Victoria. I do think O'Driscoll goes elsewhere other then Bulldogs. I think once Peryyman makes his decision the clubs who were offering money for Perryman come in for NOD and Doggies get priced out of the move.

Fully expect he goes to a club like Geelong.
Might be but NOD has his brother at the dogs so decision is money or to play at the club his brother is at or most likely stay at freo.

I think Harmes over Garcia was a line ball call because I doubt either 1 would have had much impact. Garcia is like early Rhylee west. His decision making was very poor. A lot of his ground ball gets were turned over because he was careless with his approach and would often get pinged or cause incidental contact and give away a free.

Anyways the triple baileys is done. The triple ways to pronounce Riley needs to stay together. Rather he stays.

Last edited:
Might be but NOD has his brother at the dogs so decision is money or to play at the club his brother is at or most likely stay at freo.
His sister is at Freo & his brother has retired due to concussion he got in preseason. I don’t think his Brother is motivating him to go to the Dogs, maybe just making him realise footy can be a very short career so he could try to up his pay.

His sister is at Freo & his brother has retired due to concussion he got in preseason. I don’t think his Brother is motivating him to go to the Dogs, maybe just making him realise footy can be a very short career so he could try to up his pay.
He retired but is still working at the club I think. I just don't remember where I got the info from. But someone might know more.

Edit: His 7 news video mentions he's working at the Dogs Academy which means probably training NGA talent.

Last edited:
He retired but is still working at the club I think. I just don't remember where I got the info from. But someone might know more.

Edit: His 7 news video mentions he's working at the Dogs Academy which means probably training NGA talent.
He may be, but he’s also doing athletics at AIS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shown enough to be worth a punt for any team looking for a potential starting midfielder. Tearing up the VFL.
Is he ultimately up to it at AFL level? Who know's? Well worth a roll of the dice for several teams though. Two year deal on modest money. Classic low-risk, high-reward scenario

His brother works at the club. Club has looked after him by funneling him into employment off-field which I I think is something his brother will appreciate. Doesnt mean he chooses to come to the dogs solely on that basis, but I think the Dogs as a club are in the good books with the O'Driscol family

Remove this Banner Ad

Riley Garcia - OOC 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back