Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't see the race but what did Bruce say about the ending of the women's 200?

I don't know if he said it or Tasmyn but they seemed to think she could have caught Thompson at one stage. I never felt that myself.
She obviously wanted to win but Thompson ran a great final for mine.

i dont understand the treatment of Gatlin. people act like he's the only drug cheat in the world

He has been fine twice though unfortunately. That said you are correct he's not the only one.

Couldn't happen to a better bloke, glad Gatlin missed the final although the boos would have been interesting I guess.

Bolt could go under 19 seconds in the final.
Would be a hell of an improvement, don't think he's in his 2009 form to break the world record.

For those unsure of Gatlin past here is what wiki entry shows.
Must also remember all this stuff is from a decade or more ago.

Doping bans
In 2001, Gatlin was banned from international competition for two years after testing positive for amphetamines. Gatlin appealed on the grounds that the positive test had been due to medication that he had been taking since his childhood, when he was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. The appeal resulted in an early reinstatement by the IAAF.

On July 29, 2006, Justin Gatlin told the media that he had been informed by the USADA that he had given a positive doping test in April the same year. He claimed his innocence in the matter:

"I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorized anyone to administer such a substance to me."

Gatlin was coached by Trevor Graham. Among athletes Graham has coached, eight have tested positive or received bans for performance-enhancing drugs. After Gatlin's failed test, Graham stated in an interview that Gatlin had been sabotaged. He blamed massage therapist Christopher Whetstine for rubbing a creme with testosterone onto Gatlin's buttocks without his knowledge. The therapist denied the claim, saying: "Trevor Graham is not speaking on behalf of Justin Gatlin and the story about me is not true."

On August 22, 2006, Gatlin accepted an eight-year ban from track and field, avoiding a lifetime ban in exchange for his cooperation with the doping authorities, and because of the "exceptional circumstances" surrounding his first positive drug test. Gatlin appealed against the ban; an arbitration panel reduced it to four years at a hearing in December 2007.

Whatever we think of him, he was kicked out and come back and not been in trouble since. 9 years later.
Some would never be seen or heard of again and hide from spotlight.

Graham stated in an interview that Gatlin had been sabotaged. He blamed massage therapist Christopher Whetstine for rubbing a creme with testosterone onto Gatlin's buttocks without his knowledge. The therapist denied the claim, saying: "Trevor Graham is not speaking on behalf of Justin Gatlin and the story about me is not true."
Lance likes this

Has Graham been suspended himself?

Running under 19 would probably be his greatest ever run. Don't see it though.

Did run today like he was having a snooze on a Sunday afternoon though. I give him a massive chance of doing it. Would need the right conditions though in terms of the weather.

Lance likes this

Has Graham been suspended himself?

The US Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart, on 15 July 2008, confirmed a life ban on Graham for breaking anti-drugs rules: "It sends a powerful reminder that coaches are not above the rules. There's a misconception that they are because we don't drug-test them, but this shows that we'll use all of our authority. There's no opportunity to seek reinstatement. Any chance that he may have had for that has passed. He's waived that." His ban included participation in any event sanctioned by the U.S. Olympic Committee, the IAAF, USA Track & Field or any other group that participates in the World Anti-Doping Agency program

He has been fine twice though unfortunately. That said you are correct he's not the only one.
there are 101 convicted dopers competing in Rio
http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/list-...d-doping-cheats-participating-in-rio/60360893
if you count coaches and agents im sure that list will grow.

and thats without mentioning entire countries like Ethiopia, Kenya and Jamaica where doping control is a bit of a joke and are only WADA compliant by some IOC, IAAF and WADA joint miracle

im just not sure that Gatlin deserves to cop the brunt of it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very rich one. You want to make a dollar it's not a bad way. Use your assets if you're blessed with them. Important you seek attention otherwise the sponsors dollars start to dry up. For the knockers she shows of her big bank account followed by an extended middle finger.

And yet Usain Bolt can show her all of his medals PLUS his many more millions of dollars and give her a middle finger of his own :D

Dont see bolt running under 19.3. I think he has only done it the once in Berlin, whilst most of his best times are around that 19.3 time. Would love for it to happen though.

If he lowers it further I can see both his records in the 100m and 200m standing for a very, very long time. At least until they start breeding jamaican sprinters like they do racehorses!

Is anyone else surprised about the 2 girls who fell in the 5000m, hurt themselves, but still finished the race?

Apparently, the judges have advanced them to the final for showing 'Olympic Spirit'.

This is utter bullshit. Falling happens. If Farah hadn't won the 10K, maybe the judges could have given him the gold medal anyway, considering he fell and got up again. What about the guy who did the triple somersault in the hurdles, then got up and finished the race anyway? Did he get advanced to the final? I mean, he showed the same 'Olympic spirit'. How about the girls in the same 5K race, who didn't fall, but beat those two who did and still didn't qualify?

OK, these girls aren't the top 5K runners and are unlikely to place in the final, but how would you feel if you were in the race and one of them accidentally tripped you? Or blocked you when you were angling for a run?

I can't help but think that 'Aaawww, isn't that a lovely scene!" and the fact that one of them is american has something to do with the decision.

The king is dead long live the king in the steeplechase but the Kenyans win the 11th of 11 titles they have competed in after boycotting 1976 and 1980 Olympics. Conseslus Kipruto did a bit of show boating Kemboi style after that final steeple in the home straight, but only finished in lane 3 not lane 8 so he has a bit to learn from the master. But that's probably because of the great run by the US champion Evan Jager, who wasnt intimidated by the Kenyans, pushed them hard the last 3 or 4 laps and confirms what I have noticed over the last few days and last couple of world champs and olympics that the yanks are getting serious about middle distance running again. They aren't winning races but getting lots of runners in serious contention for top 5 or 6 finishes and minor medals. Maybe that program run by Albero Zalazar is the driver. I dont know the technicalities of the rule but Frenchman Mekhissi protested about Kemboi running out of his lane and the protest was upheld and he loses his bronze.

200m women's final was - wow how Thompson held off Schippers and does the double. A fantastic bend by Thompson is what let her win that. Schippers made up good ground on the back straight but couldn't quiet get her 21.78 vs 21.88. Bowie gets 3rd, the yanks just know how to get medals if they cant win. I thought Schippers had her but Thompson turned around last years world champs result.

200m semi - Bolt confirms by how much and a WR attempt is on. Gotta get a better start to do that but his 50-100m bend showed he has the power to push it. Hopefully the weather holds off and is a nice warm still night tomorrow. To run a 19.78 smiling, slowing down and joking with Andre De Grasse of Canada was great to see. Gotta give it to De Grasse only 21 and runs a national record and PB joking around with Bolt. Looks like he giving away about 15cm to Bolt, so not sure if he is the next big thing after Bolt retires but gees he has been impressive in the 100m -did a PB the get the bronze and now a PB in a 200m semi. Its between him and Merritt who will be the first one behind Bolt now that Gatlin was run out after finishing 3rd.

Great to see Churandy Martina make the final. Was robbed of a 200m silver in Beijing, despite Shawn Crawford giving his upgraded one to Martina a few weeks after the Olympics.

Bolt pulled out another semi final grin to De Grasse like this one in 100m semi, but this time it was closer to the line and they were closer togther. Loved his short interview with Patty Welsh asking De Grasse what he was doing. This is the story about the Aussie who took the shot for the Getty Images.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympic...to-of-smiling-usain-bolt-20160815-gqt7ne.html
1471324805710.jpg

100m hurdles I predicted a US clean sweep last night and they got there, just. Rollins was a class above the other 2. Castlin dipped nicely for 3rd. It was great that they didn't celebrate until they confirmed the sweep. Only the 7th clean sweep by women in Olympic history according to IAAF Stats Handbook.

Women
1952 Discus Throw URS [RUS/RUS/GEO]
1976 Pentathlon.... GDR
1980 800 Metres... URS [UKR/RUS/RUS]
1980 Pentathlon.... URS [UKR/RUS/RUS]
2004 Long Jump.... RUS
2008 100 Metres.... JAM

Men's and women's 4x100m relays on tonight starting at 11.50pm EST. Will be interesting to see who gets rested by the big teams and if there are any stuff ups. Can't see the 200m finalists who ran the 100m running in the heats.

Is anyone else surprised about the 2 girls who fell in the 5000m, hurt themselves, but still finished the race?

Apparently, the judges have advanced them to the final for showing 'Olympic Spirit'.

This is utter bullshit. Falling happens. If Farah hadn't won the 10K, maybe the judges could have given him the gold medal anyway, considering he fell and got up again. What about the guy who did the triple somersault in the hurdles, then got up and finished the race anyway? Did he get advanced to the final? I mean, he showed the same 'Olympic spirit'. How about the girls in the same 5K race, who didn't fall, but beat those two who did and still didn't qualify?

OK, these girls aren't the top 5K runners and are unlikely to place in the final, but how would you feel if you were in the race and one of them accidentally tripped you? Or blocked you when you were angling for a run?

I can't help but think that 'Aaawww, isn't that a lovely scene!" and the fact that one of them is american has something to do with the decision.
i was a bit befuddled by this too. i've got to admit i have no idea how or why it works.

my main concern though is why are there so many slow runners getting in the way of the real athletes? i understand that some countries are given exemptions (again for the feel good factor) but we need to find a better way of separating the wheat from the chaff. they have prelims in the 100m so that these people dont get in the way. i know you cant do that in distance events but they at least need to get out of the way when the real race is coming up behind, or make them run in lane 2 or something. you shouldn't have to yell 'track' at the Olympics.

Ok this is the bloody technical BS they got Kemboi on. They have taken down his time but I reckon he was about 4 or 5 seconds ahead of 4th placed Frenchman Mekhissi. Shades of the yanks protesting about Martina in the 200m in Beijing after their bloke was disqualified and wanted to bump up a couple of yanks into the medals. But look at the rule below which is number up on the IAAF's results page and the picture of what the French complained about. **** me two women fall over and get reinstated for the 5,000m and Kemboi makes one step outside the cone and he gets disqualified.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ews/report/men/3000-metres-steeplechase/final
The defending champion, who has won gold or silver at all but one major championship since 2003, slowed almost to a gentle jog from 50 metres out but crossed the line in third place. A protest was presented by the French team, claiming that Kemboi had stepped outside the track on the curve after clearing the water jump.

France’s Mahiedine Mekhissi, silver medallist at the past two Olympics, was then awarded the bronze medal, having crossed the line in 8:11.52.

Before learning of his disqualification, Kemboi declared that this race would be his last. "This is my fourth Olympics and I just want to say that I am retiring from athletics," said the four-time world champion. "Sometimes you just need to make a decision and I have come to the conclusion that today is my last event."
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...ews/report/men/3000-metres-steeplechase/final

This was Kemboi's record before the DQ
3 OG medals (gold 04, gold 12, bronze 16)
7 WC medals (silver 03, silver 05, silver 07, gold 09, gold 11, gold 13, gold 15)
4 CommG medals (silver 02, gold 06, silver 10, bronze 14)
4 AfricanCh/AfroAsianG medals (gold 03, silver 07, silver 10, bronze 14)
1 Af Jnr Ch medal (gold 01)

Given that he is a Kenyan in this event, those regional (CWG, African) championships are pretty much global championships, too. In these 16 seasons, he's come home with a medal from some major championship every year except 2008, when he was 7th at Beijing and he basically team ran to make sure that Kenyans went one two and really was the 4th placed but walked the last 50m. Other than the 7th in Beijing OG, the only other championships in which he did not medal were the AfCh in 02 (4th) and AfCh 06 (DQ).

That is 19 medals in 22 championships: 9 gold; 7 silver; 3 bronze. What a great career and they deny him a fitting way to leave with this shit!

Kemboi was DQd for a violation that occurred on the curve under 163.3(b):

Rule 163.3b. In all races (or any part of races) not run in lanes, an athlete running on a bend, on the outer half of the track as per Rule 162.10, or on any curved part of the diversion from the track for the steeplechase waterjump, shall not step or run on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable border (the inside of the track, the outer half of the track, or any curved part of the diversion from the track for the steeplechase waterjump).

This is what Kemboi got DQed for. Unbelievable one step over 3,000m. It happened at 2.24.xx as per the bottom right hand corner of the picture and the race took 8.03.xx
CqGTLKWXEAAq8mW.jpg

Gatlin been caught twice,of course he's going to cop it.
But he's prob not the only one,but it's just away of the world drugs are everywhere.

Miller was the clear winner - Bruce gave her nothing.
And even a day later he gave Miller nothing.

This is what annoys me about Bruce, he still fails to acknowledge Miller even though she was leading throughout the race and yes Felix came close to the end.
Though Bruce cannot offer a neutral statement or assessment of the race

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Back