Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

So there's no medical staff on field?!
Very poor. Should be a lot of medical staff stationed trackside within the stadium. Can understand events like Marathon running having gaps in areas where medical attention isn't readily available but to not have someone closeby in the stadium is inexcusable

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Very poor. Should be a lot of medical staff stationed trackside within the stadium. Can understand events like Marathon running having gaps in areas where medical attention isn't readily available but to not have someone closeby in the stadium is inexcusable

I am assumed this would be standard practice especially at Olympics they would have medical staff. Weird Olympics this year.

How do these girls qualify being so slow? 2 of them lapped
Under the rules ie IAAF and IOC, the small countries can enter 1 male and 1 female athlete across the 47 events if they have no one who has met the A qualifer time/distance across any one of those 47 events. That's why if you watch the 100m preliminaries, you see some people who will only run 13 or 14 seconds, but they come from obscure countries. In all the sprints there used to be 4 rounds and only 2 semi finals, first it was the top 4 in each semi and then it went to the fastest 3 in each + 2 fastest non auto qualifiers, but now they have a heat, then 3 semis and its the fastest 2 from each of the 3 semis and then the 2 fastest non auto qualifiers. All of the sprint events are now 3 rounds instead of the old days 4. It makes the semis more exciting and no bludging.

Because of the 1 athlete per member association rule, and the need to restrict numbers, most of the smal countries will either send someone for the 100m or a long distance race. That's why the introduced the 100m preliminaries and its on the first session before the 100m heats. So last night in the 5000m you had a women from the Solomon Islands and one from the Democratic Congo. Then look at their representatives and you will see they have 1 man and 1 women each, and all athletes are running in the longer distances. See the last 2 women who finished the 5,000m race at the following link.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...-5771/results/women/5000-metres/heats/summary

Congo athletes
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/olympic-games/the-xxxi-olympic-games-5771/athletes?country=COD
Solomon Islands
https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/olympic-games/the-xxxi-olympic-games-5771/athletes?country=SOL

Look at the 100m for women, the preliminaries held on Friday morning, the women's 100m heat was on the Friday evening session, Rio time, and see the times and where they are from. If one of them ran an A qualifying time then they would have been able to enter the heat in the evening.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/o...metres/preliminary-round/summary#resultheader

Last edited:

If you looked closely, there was a 400m hurdle race about to start and the official initially gestured for Mickle not to cross over. There was several events going on so you aren't going to have medical people stationed at each event. The medical people were in the stadium and the IAAF would make sure that the minimum number under their rules was there. Remember its not the IOC or Rio OCOG that make the rules for the meet. They have a say in the timing of events etc, but the IAAF are in charge of setting it up, and all the technical requirements under their rules for major meets.

Under the rules ie IAAF and IOC, the small countries can enter 1 male and 1 female athlete across the 47 events if they have no one who has met the A qualifer time/distance across any one of those 47 events.

Have to say it shouldn't be allowed in the 5000. They get in the way of the pack, and if they're on the last lap they can cause some real trouble. It's not a problem in any of the events from 100m to 1500m because they won't get in the way of anyone.

Our young track team and not so young long distance female runners have had a big meet doing PB's, Season Bests (SB's) and making finals

Eloise Wellings started it with a PB and 10th in the women's 10,000m final. The marathon girls did well in the Rio heat with an 18th for Milly Clark, Jess Trengove finished 22nd and an injury affected Lisa Weightman 31st, with the first 2 girls within 6 minutes of the winner.

In the steeplechase, Victoria Mitchell didnt qualify but did an SB, Madeline Hills qualified with a SB and Genevieve LaCaze also qualified for the final. Then in the final Hills finished 7th and ran a PB and LaCaze finished 9th also in a PB. Then last night both of them qualified for the 5,000m to be run in the final Friday night Rio time. Once again good times as Mitchell ran another SB and LeCaze ran another PB. Another SB was achieved in the 5,000 by 10,000 runner Eloise Wellings to give Oz 3 representatives for the first time ever in an Olympic or World Champ final. Ayana will win by plenty on Friday night rio time and might set another WR.

Linden Hall, Jenny Blundell, Zoe Buckman all ran well to make the 1,500m semi but didnt run their best so all missed the final a couple of nights ago.

Monday night time in Rio Ella Nelson ran a bloody good heat in the 200m and Tuesday night/this morning her semi final run was a cracker in 22.50 and a PB, makes her 6th fastest Aussie women ever in and achieved in aninjury interrupted season. Heart breaking to miss an Olympic fnial by 0.01 sec but a 9th finish by a 22 year old shows she has massive potential. She gets her times down to 22.2 or lower and she is a regular Olympic and World Champ finalist, maybe even get a medal or two. She has huge potential.

That 200m final is going to be a cracker. I'm a Dafne Schippers fan since I saw her run a couple of diamond league meets last year, Monte Carlo in particular and then win the 200m at Beijing world championships, but she is going to be pushed by 100m winner Elaine Thompson ( whom she beat in Beijing) and the 100m silver medalist Tori Bowie and Trinidadian AHYE. The final is on tomorrow morning about 11.30am EST. Can Schippers be the first Dutch winner since Fanny Blankers-Koen??

Loved watching Ryan Gregson surge and flash down the outside of the home straight to get 2ne in his 1,500m heat. Looks a good prospect to make the final, but has to get through the semis first. Lots of africans of north and east variety to get passed though. I reckon he has a good enough kick to make a final. If he makes it to the final he will be the first Aussie since Graham Crouch in 1976.
http://athhistory.imgstg.com/int_event/mog55.htm

A couple of good finals as usual this morning our time. Women's 1,500m was a top race as I was very surprised Kenyan Faith Kipyegon left Genzebe Dibaba in her wake when she kicked with 200 metres to go.

Men's 110m SF showed the dominance of Jamaican sprinting with Omar McLeod winning comfortably. Suprised to see a Spanish silver medalist and more surprising was no Yank challneged. I dont think I've ever seen a 110m hurdle final without an American on the podium at either Olympic or world champs. I wonder if its a bit of a changing of the guard. Doubt it, but their shear dominance might be curtailed.

Heats of 100m hurdle showed it is all the American women for the podium. The women who finished 6th at their trials Kendra Harrison, was pissed off and went and broke the 28 year world record in London 10 days later and ran a 12.20. The Semi's are on tomorrow at around 9.45am EST and then the final 2 hours later

Men's 200m gets serious tonight with the semis. The heats were meaningless in determining who will seriously challenge Bolt. Semis are on 11.00am EST tomorrow morning.

400m hurdle for women semi was a change in form for me. World leader Dalilah Muhammad of USA won her semi beating Denmark’s European champion Sara Slott Petersen who look really good in the heat but when she challenged Muhamad at around 250, Muhammad kicked and won comfortably.

Kerron Clement who was a 400m runner turned to 400m hurdles and had one of the worst hurdling styles I've ever seen, but has improved over the year won his semi and is a slight favourite to win the men’s 400m hurdles running a SB 48.26. It's gonna be USA v Jamaica again with Annsert Whyte winning the 2nd semi.

Watching the 5,000m heats and Mo cruised into the final cruising in with a 5th. Lagatt still running well at 41 but even though he's been doing it for years it just doesnt look right he runs in a US uniform. Second heat dominated by africans but good to see Aussie Brett Robinson has got thru to the final, first once since Craig Mottram in 2004. Patrick Tiernan just missed out, but looks exhausted talking to Patty Welsh. Just a nice winter's day of 35 in Rio.

Caster Semenya up next in the 800m heats. Will be interesting to she what response she gets. Cruised in and ran the heat under 2 minutes. Fast heat.

I will be staying up to watch the men’s steeplechase final - 12:50am EST and I'm tipping a Kenyan clean sweep, hoping that Ezekiel Kemboi joins Bolt as the only other man or woman to win a track event 3 times, but his fellow country men Conseslus Kipruto will push him and has the best time in the world this year. Kipruto has won every race on the IAAF Diamond League circuit this year. Kemboi, has finished outside the top 10 in both of his Diamond League appearances this year. He won Olympic gold in 2004 and 2012, but in 2008 he team ran to make sure a Kenyan won and finished 7th but realky was 4th as he almost wlaked the last 50m after doing his job to get Kenyan 1,2 but the Frenchie Mahiedine Mekhissi snuck in for a silver. Kemboi last year in Beijing won his consecutive fourth world championship title.

But as you get in Kenyan running, both were beaten at the Kenyan trials by Brimin Kipruto, who also beat Kemboi to the 2008 Olympic title. The only 2 who could get an upset win or stop the sweep are double Olympic silver medalist Frenchie Mahiedine Mekhissi and US champion Evan Jager.

If Kemboi wins, watch out for the celebration, it challenges Bolt's for fun.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All these other jabronis need to think twice about their self-worth, when De Grasse and Bolt can just have a Sunday yarn at the finish line.

CqGpwyYXgAAal2I.jpg:large

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Back