RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, just a reminder that should today's news be triggering for you then there are resources and people out there which I cannot recommend enough:

Lifeline - 13 11 14
Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636
MensLine Australia - 1300 789 978
Headspace - 1800 650 890

Otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us, or each other.

:purpleheart:

Last edited:
Cam's funeral is in a week's time. I am sure a lot of our players will be there, and my thoughts will be with them.

A Service to Celebrate the Life of the Late Cameron Alex McCarthy of Lake Coogee will be held at the FREMANTLE Cemetery, Carrington St Palmyra at 10.30am on WEDNESDAY (29.5.2024).

Attendees are please requested to assemble outside of the West Chapel prior to this time.
Strange to think that a young man who you cheered on having his funeral at the exact same place your grandparents had theirs.

Strange to think that a young man who you cheered on having his funeral at the exact same place your grandparents had theirs.
My mum and grandparents are there too. Nobody bled purple like she did! She had severe dementia and could only recognise Pav and her grandson.

I expect there to be a lot of people. He was clearly so loved and popular. It's bloody hard having a son in their 20s when you see how fragile young men are :(

That last paragraph shows they are a close knit group now who play for each other.

It's great that Andy and Caleb stood up and helped everyone deal with the tragedy.

Thoughts are with Cams family for next week.
and that's why they are reluctant to drop players, unless they have to, each week

I wonder how many Freo fans who have barely met him will turn up to the funeral?
I hate crowds. When I was in my early 20s I ended up with agoraphobia, I used to get sweaty palms and bad anxiety being out in open public spaces, I used to get paranoid and think shopkeepers et al were watching/spying on me; eventually I worked through it. Every now & again I get smaller anxiety attacks at random (especially in places like Woolies with aisles), but they're very minor compared to yesteryear.

If I was anywhere close, I'd do the respectful thing and go a few days/a week later when it's quieter. Leave a flower or crystal, I'd like to pay my respects. I always feel funerals are for family and very close friends; people you were really special to. As fans, if we can pay our respects, great....but that can come later.

I hate crowds. When I was in my early 20s I ended up with agoraphobia, I used to get sweaty palms and bad anxiety being out in open public spaces, I used to get paranoid and think shopkeepers et al were watching/spying on me; eventually I worked through it. Every now & again I get smaller anxiety attacks at random (especially in places like Woolies with aisles), but they're very minor compared to yesteryear.

If I was anywhere close, I'd do the respectful thing and go a few days/a week later when it's quieter. Leave a flower or crystal, I'd like to pay my respects. I always feel funerals are for family and very close friends; people you were really special to. As fans, if we can pay our respects, great....but that can come later.
I agree - that would be the nice thing to do

Alex Pearce brought a tear to my eye post game. Tough couple of weeks for your club.

Pearce said Cam would have kicked the goal which was what motivated him.
I wore my Cam McCarthy badge tonight and chatted to him throughout the game...was almost scripted when AP kicked that goal.

They now get a 9 day break, so hope that helps with their healing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mum and grandparents are there too. Nobody bled purple like she did! She had severe dementia and could only recognise Pav and her grandson.

I expect there to be a lot of people. He was clearly so loved and popular. It's bloody hard having a son in their 20s when you see how fragile young men are :(
Young lower middle class and working class men are pretty ****ed, such a confused and lost generation. slipping between the cracks; her nor there.

I like the small dignity of acknowledging death.

That pang of remembering someone's favourite meal when you see it walking past a pub; their smell on an underground on the other side of the world; the way a stranger says a certain word.

That couple of seconds when it grabs you out of nowhere and brings you back... that's a legacy.

Not a big hoo-ha, forcing it, doing it when you're told to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back