RIP Darrel Baldock

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for enriching our lives Doc.

I can still recall his speech at the 2003 Hall of Fame. There was hardly a dry eye in the house.

I would encourage every Sainter to read Darrel Baldock - The Incomparable Mr Magic. Absolutely absorbing stuff.

The world is poorer for your loss. Here's hoping we can make you proud in September.

A true legend of the game, and as anyone who's had any contact will tell you a legend of a bloke.

In addition to distinguished careers with St Kilda, East Devonport, Latrobe, New Norfolk, Tasmania, Victoria and a couple of games of state cricket Doc was a minister in Tasmanian parliament for 7 years as part of a 15 year parliamentary career, before retiring to coach the mighty Saints through one of the toughest periods.

It can tough reading sad news about any former player but I can honestly say I got quite emotional reading the news about Doc. His health was also in the front of my mind during the last (and more recently second) quarters of our recent grand final appearances and it is frustrating we couldn't relieve of the title of last premiership captain before he passed.

Not much more to say really, Doc was one of the greatest Australians of all time, full stop. But I think everyone knows that already. Rest in peace Darrel Baldock.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/08/3132861.htm

Saints captain Nick Riewoldt, and coach Ross Lyon will be part of the St Kilda contingent that will fly into Tasmania to attend the state funeral on Friday, at the Latrobe Football Oval.

They will be joined by Saints vice captain, Lenny Hayes; president, Greg Westaway; chief executive, Michael Nettlefold and Baldock's fellow 1966 premiership player, Kevin "Cowboy" Neale.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/08/3132861.htm

Saints captain Nick Riewoldt, and coach Ross Lyon will be part of the St Kilda contingent that will fly into Tasmania to attend the state funeral on Friday, at the Latrobe Football Oval.

They will be joined by Saints vice captain, Lenny Hayes; president, Greg Westaway; chief executive, Michael Nettlefold and Baldock's fellow 1966 premiership player, Kevin "Cowboy" Neale.

Spoke to Ian Stewart on Wednesday who also said he was flying over to attend

Was very sad today, but also honouring what the legend has achieved. A great person, mentor, coach, horse trainer, politician, footballer, cricketer. Dont see too many people around with so much talent and not just in sport. A true champ, a good man, Will be missed greatly.

It is a sad day for not just footy but Australia.

And while I'll admit I've never met him, talked to him or even saw him play; I know he was (and is) a superstar. His name will go down in history as one of the true greats and that is what makes legends and he is certainly a legend. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends.

RIP Darrel.

Because I'm slack, I just got around to posting this on the main board. I hope you won't be offended that I reproduce it here.

I had the privilege of watching 'The Doc' in quite a few games. He came to Victoria with huge wraps. Everyone thought his case had been overstated. It hadn't.

I'll tell you how good he was - he's the only player I've ever seen beat Kevin Murray. Not just once either. He did it almost every time. We Fitzroy supporters had never seen anyone do that.

I found it significant that triple Brownlow winner Ian Stewart has said that the reason he went to St Kilda was to play alongside Baldock. Stewart also said he was always embarrassed when people compared him with Baldock. He thought 'The Doc' was in a class of his own.

He marked well-above his height. He was a thumping kick and a great team player. His most sublime skill though, was his ball handling. He could run through a pack of ten players, at top speed, and with deft touches would paddle the ball past his opponents. In his early career, Murray was also able to do this. Baldock was better at it. As well, he did it on the forward line, where you inevitably have to turn after meeting the ball.

I find it difficult to split Baldock and Hart as the best Tasmanians I've seen, and for me, Hart is the best CHF I ever saw. If Baldock had been allowed to play on the half-forward flank, rather than CHF, his career would have lasted a lot longer. The buffeting he received as a 5'10" CHF would have killed lesser men.

Finally, the thing I'll remember most about 'Doc' was his mischievous, infectious smile. A man who got the most out of his exquisite talents and loved life. I'd adore to be able to say that about myself, but it seems unlikely, especially given the dearth of talent.

Because I'm slack, I just got around to posting this on the main board. I hope you won't be offended that I reproduce it here.

I had the privilege of watching 'The Doc' in quite a few games. He came to Victoria with huge wraps. Everyone thought his case had been overstated. It hadn't.

I'll tell you how good he was - he's the only player I've ever seen beat Kevin Murray. Not just once either. He did it almost every time. We Fitzroy supporters had never seen anyone do that.

I found it significant that triple Brownlow winner Ian Stewart has said that the reason he went to St Kilda was to play alongside Baldock. Stewart also said he was always embarrassed when people compared him with Baldock. He thought 'The Doc' was in a class of his own.

He marked well-above his height. He was a thumping kick and a great team player. His most sublime skill though, was his ball handling. He could run through a pack of ten players, at top speed, and with deft touches would paddle the ball past his opponents. In his early career, Murray was also able to do this. Baldock was better at it. As well, he did it on the forward line, where you inevitably have to turn after meeting the ball.

I find it difficult to split Baldock and Hart as the best Tasmanians I've seen, and for me, Hart is the best CHF I ever saw. If Baldock had been allowed to play on the half-forward flank, rather than CHF, his career would have lasted a lot longer. The buffeting he received as a 5'10" CHF would have killed lesser men.

Finally, the thing I'll remember most about 'Doc' was his mischievous, infectious smile. A man who got the most out of his exquisite talents and loved life. I'd adore to be able to say that about myself, but it seems unlikely, especially given the dearth of talent.

That was a good read mate, thank you for sharing. :):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Darrel Baldock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back