Rising Star

St Kilda's next Rising Star nominee (and hopefully winner)

• Daniel Archer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul Cahill

• Steven Gaertner

• Mark Hutchings

• Nick Heyne

• Tom Lynch

• Blake McGrath

• Tom Simpkin

• Alistair Smith

• Rhys Stanley

• Jack Steven

• Nicholas Winmar

• We haven't recruited him yet

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a single Saint nominated this year. I know the average age of our best team is probably mid-to-late 20's, but even so it's disappointing. We haven't had a nominee since Geary round 8 last year, and the last winner was Roo back in 02.

Still, we've got some promising prospects. Who do you think will be next? And can you see any of our lads winning the damn thing?

First vote, god I'm awesome, if only half these supposed rising stars were as awesome my first vote was... :p but yeah, given the quality of players coming through the system you'd be hard pressed to pick a winner for anything at this stage, potential is a colour you can paint everyone with.

2003Sam MitchellHawthorn2001 National Draft, Pick #362004Jared RiversMelbourne2002 National Draft, Pick #262005Brett DeledioRichmond2004 National Draft, Pick #12006Danyle PearcePort Adelaide2005 Rookie Draft, 2005 Rookie Elevation2007Joel SelwoodGeelong2006 National Draft, Pick #72008Rhys PalmerFremantle2007 National Draft, Pick #72009Daniel RichBrisbane Lions2008 National Draft, Pick #7

The Post Roo rising stars.

Potential is indeed a colour... but has it damned some of these rising stars?
Rivers, Pearce Delideo, palmer and also this year rich are good players but unlike selwood/mitchell are not standouts.

Obviously its good for some players but for others... perhaps a poison chalice

who was nominated the week we beat Geelong when Jack Steven kicked 3 goals in a half to win us the game? Surely must have been stiff not to be nominated

who was nominated the week we beat Geelong when Jack Steven kicked 3 goals in a half to win us the game? Surely must have been stiff not to be nominated
Tom Rockliff from Brisbane

Getting a nomination is luck of the draw depending who else is playing and how much hype they have. Kruizer had a nomination after a 3 goal 9 disposal game.

Must be under 21 for every game that year.
Must have played 10 or fewer games at the beginning of the season.

Armo may have been stiff not to get a nomination for his first game in 2008 ( 22 possies, 2 goals ) but he didn't follow it up with anything much.

Gilbo had a nomination 2007, and frankly he's the last new player who started playing and demanded a spot for himself in our team. Most of the others have worked their way in more slowly. ( Jones too old ).

Raph had a nomination in 2005.

To win they need to be able to play a lot of decent football ( helps if the side is full of spuds to make them look good, which also makes it easier for them to get a game. )

Seeing Heyne and Lynch play this year they would have to have a killer pre-season to make it to a rising star level, ( as opposed to oh-no player Z is injured we will have to play Lynch level ).

Steven, Stanley, Smith and Gaertner may all be prospects for next year, or the year after. Not sure if Simpkin is the type of player who would attract the right attention. Walsh is too old I think.

Must be under 21 for every game that year.
Must have played 10 or fewer games at the beginning of the season.
Not quite, must be under 21 at the start of the season.

Steven, Stanley, Smith and Gaertner may all be prospects for next year, or the year after. Not sure if Simpkin is the type of player who would attract the right attention. Walsh is too old I think.
Walsh is too old, already 22.

Not sure if Rhys will have the "up front" impact needed for rising star though.
Maybe if he gets a spot in the forward line. But If he's to be a ruckman I suspect he'll be more like Big Ben in his development , gradually going from, "Ok he sucks but we need someone tall " to " actually quite competent, he even wins some hitouts" and eventually to " Champion , best ruckman in the AFL ( One can only be optomistic ).

Not sure if Rhys will have the "up front" impact needed for rising star though.
Maybe if he gets a spot in the forward line. But If he's to be a ruckman I suspect he'll be more like Big Ben in his development , gradually going from, "Ok he sucks but we need someone tall " to " actually quite competent, he even wins some hitouts" and eventually to " Champion , best ruckman in the AFL ( One can only be optomistic ).

Yeah it's much harder for the big guys to win the rising star as they usually take a year or two to develop, whereas a lot of the smaller midfielders have an impact straight away. I think the last two big guys to win rising stars were Riewoldt and Kosi, since then it has all been mids.

I doubt Rhys would win it next year but he should be a good chance for a nomination.

I think Nick Heyne will be the star out of that group. He looks to have all the tools just needs a decent run in the side to find his way.

If Jacky Steven doesn't play a finals game, he is still eligible. (a big preseason and he could take McQualter's spot permanently).

Heyne is the massive X-Factor. Nice left Foot, Stevey-J type. Could be interesting to see him take schneider's spot as the creative half forward (assuming schneider plays mostly on the wing)

Smith has had numerous VFL games when he has had the ball on a string, as well as some successful tagging attempts (Dribbler eh aker?)

Stanley, with some more bulk. Is a serious chance. Along with Steven, was unlcky not to be nominated.

Lynch needs a big preseason, and more opportunity, either as a third tall (either forward or defender) or an oversized mid.

Pretty promising, especially adding Gaertner, Walsh, Simpkin, Winmar, Hutchings, and the new crop of draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross's style of developing players doesn't lend itself easily to winning Rising Stars...
... but I get the feeling it's well suited to winning Premierships - and I know which one I'd choose.

Ross's style of developing players doesn't lend itself easily to winning Rising Stars...
... but I get the feeling it's well suited to winning Premierships - and I know which one I'd choose.

Its not all that often the winner is from a top club tho hey? Rioli came close and selwood was a freak but theres not to many like those.....

We havent had a high draft pick since 03 now i believe and our success has ment not many youngsters have been able to break through... Which is why i really hope we get something from where we are at now... because im not sure how we will be in 2-3 years time.

has anyone seen anything of winmar play?

I think he has been injured for a lot of the season, haven't heard much about him.

Hopefully he can have a big pre-season and have an impact for us next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising Star

Back