Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam's clanger average across the entirety of last season was significantly lower than it was in two JLT games this year.
I'm only worried about what he's doing now, not then.

Jones went at 76% efficiency at AFL level in 2017.
O'Shea went at 73% efficiency at VFL level in 2017.
But 2017 has played and analysed. We can't play it again and how relevant are Jones' 2016 stats to his 2017 stats??? O'Shea worked full-time last year and was a part-time footballer, while Jones was a full-time footballer You need to worry about what Jones & O'Shea are doing now. That's what matters.

pseudo-tall-defender
Make sure you trademark that phrase before David King, Bob Murphy or Kane Cornes steal it.

Furthermore, Jones' defensive efforts add a shitload more value to the team than another pseudo-tall-defender who gets involved in link-up play, we've got plenty of those already.
Pseudo-tall-defender....:think: I'm really liking that phrase. Sounds particularly marketable. Where can we get some more??? Develop them, advertise them and then trade them en mass for 1st Round Picks.

but he doesn't edge out Jones on ability or structure in my book.
If there's one thing I've learned from Jones meteoric rise is that we can no longer afford to think like that. 12 months ago you could've got 250/1 on Jones being offered another contract.

Cut to the chase
OK. It was all just a wind-up.....I admit it. Normally I'd leave HARKER or Jimmae to throw a handful of leaves up in the air to fall where they may. I had a day off, was bored, the thread was slow blah, blah, blah...... Someone had to do something FFS!!!

From my perspective, thanks to Jeremias, Blue__Balls, Arr0w, JustaBattler, Sharks On A Plane, menny, StandByyourMan, passmark, HBF, Metalcrusher, BLUEALLTHRU & Love the Drake (apologies to anyone I missed) for contributing to a robust debate in the right spirit about a potentially controversial selection/omission without resorting to name-calling or outright bagging of the players being discussed. If our debate made others do a double-take and re-examine another player on our list and what they may, or may not, have to offer then it's time well spent.

Here's the thing.

Last year, the Tigers would go hell for leather for 2 terms, belting their opponents all over the ground, before playing tempo footy as they had a rest. Problem was, they were shithouse at tempo footy, so a good side would use that time to close the gap and/or take the lead, before Dusty would pop up and become the matchwinner, as he conserves his energy early to beast late, the rest of their talent keeping them in it.

Over the finals, they had a GREAT run during their tempo footy stage, and the opposition, for a number of reasons, just couldn't get close enough to score; they would just not kick straight, couldn't recover mentally, were shot and didn't want to be there. We're not like that, it's why they didn't blow us out the second time they beat us.

We need to absorb their hell for leather approach in the first two terms, staying within 20-30 points, then hit the scoreboard over the next two terms. They're still not a high scoring side, and they rely immensely on their mature talent late in matches to guide them home, either by confining opposition shots to near the boundary or by kicking goals themselves and bringing the stuffed youngsters into the game.

They should win this, but provided we play Riewoldt and Rance correctly - play Plow on Riewoldt, Weit loose and Marshbank/Jones on Townsend, with each of them given the license to mark rather than spoil; just keep the high ball away from Rance, simply run the ball if you can't - and there's every chance we'll do pretty bloody well.

Disagree with your observation, we play our best footy in the second half of games. First half it's just an arm wrestle.

Horses for courses, expect a surprise...;)

HARKER has been calling for Weitering to be played forward - probably the only player we have who has the class to take the sting out of Rance and kick a few on him...if he does go forward - would love to see this forward line during the game and SOJ on a wing.

Dow Weitering Charlie
Garlett Casboult Pickett FMD!!! :mad::mad::'(:'(

Last edited:
Disagree with your observation, we play our best footy in the second half of games. First half it's just an arm wrestle.
No, your stars play their best footy in the second half of games - in particular, during the final term - after your fleet of kids tackle and pressure their opponents out of breath. You're right in that it's an arm wrestle, but it's one you're willing to have in order to set up a 'Dusty one on one in the goalsquare' situation late, but extrapolated over Cotchin, Prestia, Rance, Riewoldt, Caddy and Townsend.

Bear in mind, though, that this particular observation is drawn from watching most of your matches last year, not your JLT. You may have changed your gameplan, but I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, your stars play their best footy in the second half of games - in particular, during the final term - after your fleet of kids tackle and pressure their opponents out of breath. You're right in that it's an arm wrestle, but it's one you're willing to have in order to set up a 'Dusty one on one in the goalsquare' situation late, but extrapolated over Cotchin, Prestia, Rance, Riewoldt, Caddy and Townsend.

Bear in mind, though, that this particular observation is drawn from watching most of your matches last year, not your JLT. You may have changed your gameplan, but I doubt it.
Our stars might play the best in the second half and that leads to our team playing its best in the second half. The two dont have to be mutually exclusive. Stars play good = team plays good. That can be applied to any team in the comp.

I'm only worried about what he's doing now, not then.

But 2017 has played and analysed. We can't play it again and how relevant are Jones' 2016 stats to his 2017 stats??? O'Shea worked full-time last year and was a part-time footballer, while Jones was a full-time footballer You need to worry about what Jones & O'Shea are doing now. That's what matters.

Make sure you trademark that phrase before David King, Bob Murphy or Kane Cornes steal it.

Pseudo-tall-defender....:think: I'm really liking that phrase. Sounds particularly marketable. Where can we get some more??? Develop them, advertise them and then trade them en mass for 1st Round Picks.

If there's one thing I've learned from Jones meteoric rise is that we can no longer afford to think like that. 12 months ago you could've got 250/1 on Jones being offered another contract.

OK. It was all just a wind-up.....I admit it. Normally I'd leave HARKER or Jimmae to throw a handful of leaves up in the air to fall where they may. I had a day off, was bored, the thread was slow blah, blah, blah...... Someone had to do something FFS!!!

From my perspective, thanks to Jeremias, Blue__Balls, Arr0w, JustaBattler, Sharks On A Plane, menny, StandByyourMan, passmark, HBF, Metalcrusher, BLUEALLTHRU & Love the Drake (apologies to anyone I missed) for contributing to a robust debate in the right spirit about a potentially controversial selection/omission without resorting to name-calling or outright bagging of the players being discussed. If our debate made others do a double-take and re-examine another player on our list and what they may, or may not, have to offer then it's time well spent.
Love you, mate.....

It's not negativity it's realism. Most of us predicting a loss aren't exactly also proclaiming we are shit and we should sack bolts...just understand we are a young team going up against the reigning premiers who have started this year in good form.

No shame in losing given where the two teams are at. Of course we CAN win but it's not the likely outcome.
well I say **** reality. I am a glass 80% full kinda guy and deal in hopes and dreams. I reckon I’m gonna win Tatts most weekends too. But maybe what grinds me the most is we are conceding to the tigs. Just doesn’t sit right in any reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I initially hadnt put Lamb in my 22 but now that Pickett is unavailable I reckon he’ll play

All we can do is hope Garlett can come in and hold the fort.

Almost 0 line-breaking speed in this team now which is a massive concern.
I was going to like your post - and then I started crying ( again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back