Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

We have a thing for letting no-name opposition forwards off the leash.

I have no idea who Daniel Turner is but he's named in the forward pocket so I guess it's his turn tonight.

Disco kicked three goals two weeks ago against the Tiggers and is exactly the sort of player who will bob Ben Keays like and kick three or four.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually don't think Charlie does have the athleticism anymore and reckon his knee problems have affected this side of his game more than we know.

He's not fast and he rarely uses his supposed elite tank and has laid 1 tackle a game this season to Harry's 3.5.

One on one i'd back him in most times and taking a grab on the lead is bread and butter but as you say, with the slow ball movement further up the ground allowing extra numbers time and the seemingly blindingly obvious high bomb to either him or Harry it leaves him little option but to try and wrestle.

Couple this with a lack of ground level pressure from the rest of our forwards and we waste a s**t load of forward forays.

There's two ways to beat May and Lever, move the ball quickly and/or lower the eyes. Either one will nullify their intercept game. Of course to do this you need to first win the contest then hit targets quickly or you need to pick your way through and keep hitting targets.

Unfortunately the team hasn't been very good at executing either of these strategy's.

I agree re Charlie, I think it’s constant management of the knee and we are lucky to have him playing as well as he is. I was worried he’d come back as a battler circa 2021 or not at all.

I agree re Charlie, I think it’s constant management of the knee and we are lucky to have him playing as well as he is. I was worried he’d come back as a battler circa 2021 or not at all.
At the risk of sounding like a total nuffie that will probably get spammed with evidence to the contrary, my impression is he doesn't have a lot of lateral movement. Opposition defender one on one spoils the ball to the side and he's basically out of the contest. At least how it looks this season.

At the risk of sounding like a total nuffie that will probably get spammed with evidence to the contrary, my impression is he doesn't have a lot of lateral movement. Opposition defender one on one spoils the ball to the side and he's basically out of the contest. At least how it looks this season.

Spurts of brilliance balanced with complete indifference and disinterest. He is as hot/cold as ever.

Would love to see a defensive effort and him leading by example.

Spurts of brilliance balanced with complete indifference and disinterest. He is as hot/cold as ever.

I'd like to see a bit more intent from Charlie. I'm not liking his one attempt then 'oh well' attitude this season...of course he's a dam great player when he's on form.

Cincotta is the man.
Watch that goal from Daicos and see how clumsy all of : if interested replay in slow motion - that will really get your gander up....

Boyd/Cincott/Cerra were all fails contributing to that goal - it literally was touched/ handled by three Carlton players before a Collingwood player tapped it to Daicos

absolutely shocking clutch play mentality or lack thereof - and then look at Hewett letting Daicos to run off around unchecked and Walsh letting run through to pick up unchecked....

that play was a succession of at least 5 basic errors all going wrong one after the other a chain of rubbish and unpreparedness when any one of the three players in the actual ball contest could have taken possession and the tackle for a restart...

so I have very little confidence in any of the less experienced players to execute on the basics under pressure - Carlton's lack of real depth in defensive 50 has been on display since Saad/McGovern and (even) Marchbank went down. I am sure Kemp is always under scrutiny because he makes very basic under pressure errors whenever in a close to goal contest.

Melbourne will pressure Carltons; defense just by getting the ball into the forward fifty - Cincotta/Boyd/Kemp are all very inexperienced and all subject to basic errors and execution in ground ball high pressure situations - Saad is a huge out as is Williams - both these blokes know how to kill a ball better than the three noobies.

Same, wasn't sure he would get back to his early promise but regardless the one we have now is worth his weight in gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch that goal from Daicos and see how clumsy all of : if interested replay in slow motion - that will really get your gander up....

Boyd/Cincott/Cerra were all fails contributing to that goal - it literally was touched/ handled by three Carlton players before a Collingwood player tapped it to Daicos

absolutely shocking clutch play mentality or lack thereof - and then look at Hewett letting Daicos to run off around unchecked and Walsh letting run through to pick up unchecked....

that play was a succession of at least 5 basic errors all going wrong one after the other a chain of rubbish and unpreparedness when any one of the three players in the actual ball contest could have taken possession and the tackle for a restart...

so I have very little confidence in any of the less experienced players to execute on the basics under pressure - Carlton's lack of real depth in defensive 50 has been on display since Saad/McGovern and (even) Marchbank went down. I am sure Kemp is always under scrutiny because he makes very basic under pressure errors whenever in a close to goal contest.

Melbourne will pressure Carltons; defense just by getting the ball into the forward fifty - Cincotta/Boyd/Kemp are all very inexperienced and all subject to basic errors and execution in ground ball high pressure situations - Saad is a huge out as is Williams - both these blokes know how to kill a ball better than the three noobies.

Of all the people who should have had body on them at that point in the game at that place on the ground it sholuld have been Daicos.

Really poor by the mids.

Charlie's a bit of a laconic figure, I don't think that disinterest is at all one of his problems. Even when not at his best he is capable of turning a game around in a 10 minute spell, happy to take that.

Of all the people who should have had body on them at that point in the game at that place on the ground it sholuld have been Daicos.

Really poor by the mids.
It should never have been able to get to Daicos by a flukey finger tap in the first place - after three Carlton players fumbled the ball skywards FFS - but yeah watching the little prancer waltz around teh contest without a check at least - that capped it all off...

grrrrrr

I must admit this is not something i have noticed but now i will be keeping an eye out for it.

Just hope Charlie plays his natural game and doesnt get caught wresting with May all the time.

He actually hasn’t done anything to earn a recall. He just had a break.
Maybe that is all he needed, a break. I think that we will see more of that with a lot of players as the season progresses.

Is anyone in need of 2 x (electronic) reserved tickets for tonights game? We are unable to get along so 2 x seats together Level 2 Bay N53 Row C...these are free & not to be sold on. As a new member I'm not sure I can PM as yet but we can work something out.

Charlie's a bit of a laconic figure, I don't think that disinterest is at all one of his problems. Even when not at his best he is capable of turning a game around in a 10 minute spell, happy to take that.
If Charlie was 100% fit ( which has hasn't been for weeks) he would be swapping with Harry as far as the CHF role goes - he stopped running down wings to take relief marks weeks ago. If he is constricted in movement and looks very much like that as far as sideways stuff goes- he will want to stand ground as much as possible...if we get 1-2 goals from him doing that we are doing well - fortunately he can still jump.

It should never have been able to get to Daicos by a flukey finger tap in the first place - after three Carlton players fumbled the ball skywards FFS - but yeah watching the little prancer waltz around teh contest without a check at least - that capped it all off...

grrrrrr
Get over it campaigner. It’s nearly been a week !

If Charlie was 100% fit ( which has hasn't been for weeks) he would be swapping with Harry as far as the CHF role goes - he stopped running down wings to take relief marks weeks ago. If he is constricted in movement and looks very much like that as far as sideways stuff goes- he will want to stand ground as much as possible...if we get 1-2 goals from him doing that we are doing well - fortunately he can still jump.
Yep, reckon we are barking up the wrong tree if we're trying to apportion blame on Charlie for our problems in the forward line.
Martin's inclusion this week is a big thing for us, he's tough, is highly skilled and takes his opportunities in front of goal more times than not, can't wait to see Motlop and Fog back in there as well.

Get over it campaigner. It’s nearly been a week !

It was such a lousy lousy way to lose - I thought all teh dumb was spent with Harry's stoopid fail kick which wshoud have gone straight long to Charlie who was in a one on one with the long haired bloke who cant win a one on one of his life depended on it - but noooo Harry decides to fail a kick to Collingwood who walk it straight back to that back pocket situation...

these blokes are learning new ways to lose 'moments' and games every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back