Preview Rnd 10 - Carlton v Geelong Saturday 26th May 7.25pm @ GMHBA Stadium - Team Post #494

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the talk of "why Graham and not Kerridge/Thomas/O'Shea/etc?" perhaps a look at the heat maps wouldn't go astray. Graham was in the middle, Kerridge a more of a back flank/defensive wing, Thomas pretty deep backand rebounding. I've also thrown in Mullet and O'Shea for reference as their names get brought up quite often too.

Graham plays his best footy when he's on-ball, not as a flanker. He can start close to the ball at the stoppages, get his hands on it and move it on. That's his bread and butter. When he's played as a hff he lacks a few attributes that some of his colleagues have; speed, gut running ability, tackling and general pressure. Unsurprisingly he is unable to amass possessions in that role, unlike last week in the middle, and perhaps adds less than others when in that position.

Unfortunately for Nick, Ed is back this week and joined by Cuningham who will hopefully get some time in the guts too.

Given our inability to spread from the stoppage has been a major detriment to our on field performances, perhaps the club would prefer the like of Kerridge and his running ability on the outside and fringes of the contest.

Perhaps his disposal was deemed to be the culprit: he ran at 57% which isn't amazing for someone who still had 13 on the outside, considering that CD call a kick over 40m to any kind of contest to be effective (and he had an impressive 436m gained) that 57% could actually be misleading (although the same could be said for Kerridge, Thomas, etc).

Maybe he was electing to move the ball in a way that went against the coaches instructions? Maybe his off the ball work wasn't up to scratch: running patterns, defensive work, etc.

Maybe he just had a really, really **** week on the track and that was enough?

There are so many possibilities why he could have been dropped and I'd argue we won't be able to know for sure just by speaking on gut feel from watching the game and having a look at the dozen or so stats available on the afl app.

It's tough for Nick but at the end of the day I'm still pretty happy with the ins.

Attachments

• Graham.png
    Graham.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Kerridge.png
    Kerridge.png
    379.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Mullett.png
    Mullett.png
    334.9 KB · Views: 7
  • O'Shea.png
    O'Shea.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Thomas.png
    Thomas.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm just about done here ATM, anyone who has the temerity to question the quality of our on field performance, draftees, recruitment, coaching structure, selection policy, game plan or generally criticise any aspect of the current regime (with the exception of the list cloggers) is met by the absolute disdain that should only be reserved for trolls from another club.
Very well said blue healer could not agree more.

Light bulb moment. I think I know why we have these selections. All the selection committee are posting here instead of watching the tapes and attending training. Same goes for physios and doctor.

Lotta experts on here. I won’t last long here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i enjoy reading different opinions. Why not just give your opinion or make a statement and move on. Win/win for everyone. If you get sanctioned we’ll miss out on reading your opinion.

Last edited:
boy oh boy do we need a response this week.
Another flogging is on the cards if I'm guided by sports bet.
What's the plan? Crouch down along our defensive 50m Arc with our shields over our heads?
Or skip with gay abandon thru the tulip patch scattering rose petals to all and sundry?

After a dirty day against the dopers the cats are going to come out with their lips curled up.

I'm hoping we can start well, jump 'em and plant a seed of doubt.

I say we win by 5 points in a huge upset.:straining:

boy oh boy do we need a response this week.
Another flogging is on the cards if I'm guided by sports bet.
What's the plan? Crouch down along our defensive 50m Arc with our shields over our heads?
Or skip with gay abandon thru the tulip patch scattering rose petals to all and sundry?

After a dirty day against the dopers the cats are going to come out with their lips curled up.

I'm feeling way more confident now that 2 x curnows are in

Ed adds 10 effective tackles.

Would be nice if Charlie could come out and kick a bag.
Cunners has all the makings of a great future player....hope he will show something and remain in the side moving forward. We know what weiters can do so hopefully he is sorted too.

I cant see a problem with any of the omissions - as for O'Shea on bench ( which is a signal to him) he will shortly be competing against McCreadie and Williamson pushing for selection. I don't think that Bolton will allow for a another blowout performance.

Essendon showed that they were capable of beating Geelong - admittedly not at the Cattery - however Carlton is playing (i'd argue) an improved line-up versus the side that beat Essendon - with the inclusion of both Cuningham and Weitering. Murphy of course ( if fit) is a big loss for this game. However by teh looks of things - he may be out for a few more weeks.

A good test for a slowly improving Carlton starting 22 maybe an even better test for Geelong - who will be stung after reading that their fabulous three in Dangerfield/Selwood and Ablett are in fact the AFL's worst clearance combination - whilst Cripps / Ed and Dow are the AFL's best. Of course the problem for Carlton occurs when these three aren't all together in center bounces - and for all those who question Graham's exclusion - perhaps Ed is just a better player right now and Kerridge a better running option.

No doubt Bolton is persisting with playing all of SPS/Fisher/Dow/LoB as much as possible in order to get games into them. I'm hoping to see SPS have a break out game as his match fitness must be improving week to week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunners has all the makings of a great future player....hope he will show something and remain in the side moving forward. We know what weiters can do so hopefully he is sorted too.
Yeah really interested to see how Cunners goes tomorrow. He's a class above VFL, but the AFL is a big step up.

A strong and confident game from Weiters would be ideal.

Both these guys have the potential to improve our transition from the back half immensely.

Setting myself up for some embarrassment here, but reckon we could do Geelong and The Saints to beat Richmond.

We are going to win one of these 'un-winnable' games soon. This week maybe? the next?

Geelongs midfield are down hill skiers (At the moment with who they have out)

If we are to be in this one it will be our midfield willing to work harder both ways. Really gotta punish them when we move forward as well.

Glad we have Ed back for this one.

Setting myself up for some embarrassment here, but reckon we could do Geelong and The Saints to beat Richmond.

We are going to win one of these 'un-winnable' games soon. This week maybe? the next?
Strong inclusions this week. Which Weitering will we see? What will his role be?

Geelong at KP is a huge task.

I like the cut of this man's jib.

I'm only worried that when his jib was getting cut, the scissors also pierced his reality preceptors.....:p

Last edited:
I understand there are clear division between Graham being dropped.

But I just can't really accept that a bloke who tried his gut out and is put in the best against Melbourne to be dropped like that. Subjectively it doesn't sit well with me as the mantra of the club has been under Bolton is 'Reward for effort'.

However in saying that we are outsiders we can only speculate the reason. All I know is that Graham will cop it on the chin and dominate the VFL for us, even people accept that he isn't 'AFL' standard our younger players could learn a lot from him from his tackling numbers and racking the possies in the reserve side.

I feel for him, thought he would build on his 2015 form but just lost favor. This moment still stands out:

None the less I am excited to see how the younger players go against Geelong.

Perfectly put mate :)
May not be a Cripps or Judd, but puts in 100% effort very game.
He will get his chance again, as the team needs him for now.
Quiet happy for the club to decide his 'overall' fate, once the younger players have proven themselves.
The old jungle, survival of the fittest, or this case better player :)

For all the talk of "why Graham and not Kerridge/Thomas/O'Shea/etc?" perhaps a look at the heat maps wouldn't go astray. Graham was in the middle, Kerridge a more of a back flank/defensive wing, Thomas pretty deep backand rebounding. I've also thrown in Mullet and O'Shea for reference as their names get brought up quite often too.

Graham plays his best footy when he's on-ball, not as a flanker. He can start close to the ball at the stoppages, get his hands on it and move it on. That's his bread and butter. When he's played as a hff he lacks a few attributes that some of his colleagues have; speed, gut running ability, tackling and general pressure. Unsurprisingly he is unable to amass possessions in that role, unlike last week in the middle, and perhaps adds less than others when in that position.

Unfortunately for Nick, Ed is back this week and joined by Cuningham who will hopefully get some time in the guts too.

Given our inability to spread from the stoppage has been a major detriment to our on field performances, perhaps the club would prefer the like of Kerridge and his running ability on the outside and fringes of the contest.

Perhaps his disposal was deemed to be the culprit: he ran at 57% which isn't amazing for someone who still had 13 on the outside, considering that CD call a kick over 40m to any kind of contest to be effective (and he had an impressive 436m gained) that 57% could actually be misleading (although the same could be said for Kerridge, Thomas, etc).

Maybe he was electing to move the ball in a way that went against the coaches instructions? Maybe his off the ball work wasn't up to scratch: running patterns, defensive work, etc.

Maybe he just had a really, really **** week on the track and that was enough?

There are so many possibilities why he could have been dropped and I'd argue we won't be able to know for sure just by speaking on gut feel from watching the game and having a look at the dozen or so stats available on the afl app.

It's tough for Nick but at the end of the day I'm still pretty happy with the ins.

I really struggle to see how Cam O'Shea is getting a game at AFL level. One of the only pickups from SOS I haven't rated. What is more astounding is that he is stinking it up at AFL and still getting games. Unfair in blokes like Graham in particular.

We play too tall as it is, I would rather Polson in and I haven't seen much about Cam to get excited about.

Strong inclusions this week. Which Weitering will we see? What will his role be?

Geelong at KP is a huge task.
Difficult task, but Bolton is getting the kids that he wants, getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. That's Cunningham, curnow, weitering, Kerr, lob, Dow, etc. If they were available that's also willo, pickett, etc. It's not Graham!

Difficult task, but Bolton is getting the kids that he wants, getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. That's Cunningham, curnow, weitering, Kerr, lob, Dow, etc. If they were available that's also willo, pickett, etc. It's not Graham!
And hmac! He is quietly coming along nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back