Preview Rnd 3 Carlton v Collingwood @ MCG Friday 13th April 7.50PM - Team post #483

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rnd 3 Carlton v Collingwood @ MCG Friday 13th April 7.50PM

Thornton's taps and flicks of the ball have been brilliant in the last year.
Never sure why some players want to pick the ball up to handball when a tap to advantage can be the quicker and safer way to go.

Thornton will be back.

Agree. This is an aspect of his game that he does so well, and whilst he may not get a stat for it, it works really well when you can't gather and hand it off in time to guys flying past. Every time someone else does this, I now think they are taking a leaf out of T-bird's book. He's very stiff to be dropped, but I guess we don't want to be too top heavy, and it came down to Thornton against Bower for the same spot.

Thornton stiff. He offers us great flexibility.

I would probably have dropped a mid in either Lucas or Armfield (both of whom would have been stiff), or Russell, to bring in Jamison, freeing up Gibbs to spend the whole game through midfield.

Rough on T-bird. Still that's what list depth leads to.

Thornton has been good as a swingman but let's face it he is very susceptible to making dumb decisions when under pressure from the top teams. Just hope Duigan is ready to step up, I'm pretty confident in Jammo being able to but Duigan was a little less consistent last year so hopefully he plays well in his return game. They'll add some toughness to the back line.

It's good to see we forced the Pies to select Wood. It's no secret that Buckley has never rated him, although today he said he recently changed his opinion. After the Richmond game I guess. How convenient.

:)

Thanks molly spot on !!!!!

Ins :- Jamison & Duigan

Outs :- Russell & Thornton both omitted

B: J.Laidler L.Henderson C.Yarran
HB: N.Duigan P.Bower Z.Tuohy
C: H.Scotland C.Judd K.Simpson
HF: J.Garlett J.Waite M.Murphy
F: M.Jamison M.Kreuzer E.Betts
Foll: S.Hampson A.Carrazzo B.Gibbs
Int: D.Armfield, E.Curnow, K.Lucas, M.Robinson

Emg: B.McLean J.Russell B.Thornton

IN: N.Duigan, M.Jamison
OUT: B.Thornton, J.Russell

Thornton prob a bit stiff, hasn't done much wrong, but Bower has been better, so he shouldn't be dropped.

Time to make a statement on the field.

Thornton has been good as a swingman but let's face it he is very susceptible to making dumb decisions when under pressure from the top teams. Just hope Duigan is ready to step up, I'm pretty confident in Jammo being able to but Duigan was a little less consistent last year so hopefully he plays well in his return game. They'll add some toughness to the back line.

If you're talking about dumb decisions, Bowser makes a lot more than Thornton. Bower is quickly becoming the new Marcus Davies

How much preseason has Jamison missed? Was it only the later part of the summer, the couple of weeks during the NAB cup?

Hmm Cameron Wood named for the Pies, so Dawes and Cloke to stretch us down back. Wellingham and Maxwell also in.

Be good to see how Jamison, Henderson and Bower work this out. Laidler plays tall as well. So we should be able to cover it all. Duigan and Yarran to round the defence out looks nice indeed - frees gibbs to go forward or midfield - woo! Not sure whether Yarran will tag Blair or stick Gibbs on him and let the yazz run free. Or even Armfield on Blair, and then Yazz and Gibbs run freeeeee...excuse me I need some alone time....

and back...

Hammer and Kreuzer should be able to handle Wood and Jolly.

Midfield battle is almost dead even and should be epic.

Forward we'll have Garlett, Betts, Waite, resting ruckman, resting judd/murph/simpson/gibbs, and no Tarrant to worry about. Reid is well, the key backman down there, and Harry O will probably have to take Waite, instead of one of the smaller guys.

This is a season definining moment...well for the first 3 rounds. Pies have had the wood on us for some time, they've got some critical injuries and a possible Cloke playing injured, and we are up and about. If we cant beat them now, it only gets harder from here.

Incredibly excited to see our best backline on the field for the first time in 3 years.

GO BLUES!

obvious ins and tbird a bit unlucky. We lose the ability to have thornton go fwd although they have been spruiking how bower can play wing/fwd all summer so well see how that goes if need be. Russell was always going to be out for Jammo, interesting to see how he reacts, doesnt have a spot in the best 22 at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I read Sinclair was still in :eek:

wow. This will be the first time in a long time the Pies have fielded the lowest rated player in Carlton v Coll clash... With that said Wood isn't rated too highly either but they need get him ready as he has showed signs.

We need to make sure that O'Brien doesn't get Betts. Robbo or Gibbs to go to him. Make him and Maxwell accountable.

Carrots to Pendlebury.
Maybe Army to Thomas.

Reckon we should win this by a good 4-5 goals.

Will be interested to see if Henderson now starts to play the swingman role with Jamo at FB and Bower at CHB.

Will be interested to see if Henderson now starts to play the swingman role with Jamo at FB and Bower at CHB.

Hendo will go to Cloake. Jammo to Dawes. Bower will play as our third tall - a much better positon for him.

There half a chance Jammo might end up forward,even if it's not for the whole game. With Hendo, Bower, Duigan and Laider already back there it wouldn't surprise me. They, and Jammo, won't all play back there. He looked almost "born" to play there in that second half against Hawthorn last year. While it's not that much to go on it might be enough to see him spend quite a deal of time forward.

Either that or Bower might play on the wing as he did a couple of times during the pre-season.

Quite gobsmacked by the Thorton omission. His kicking for goal has been awry but his link up play is fantastic. No one else in the side can take those leading marks up the wing on the rebound with the same consistency. So important to our team structure.

Talls:

Kreuzer, Hampson, Jamison, Henderson, Bower, Waite

Pinch hitting talls: Laidler

vs

Talls: Cloke, Dawes, Reid, Jolly, Wood, Keeffe
Pinch hitting talls: O'Brien, Maxwell, Goldsack

I was a bit worried we might have been too tall compared to the Pies but we had decent enough quality with our talls and don't have as many pinch hitters. I think we are tall enough but also have more agility. Really need to take care of Cloke and it is looking like a reasonable show.

Hendo will go to Cloake. Jammo to Dawes. Bower will play as our third tall - a much better positon for him.

I am thinking more in future rounds against opposition without 2 quality big key forwards. Laidler generally does well as 3rd tall defender. Bower certainly has never shown anything in the forward half and when one of the ruck men are off the ground we will need 2 falls in the forward line, especially with Walker out of the side.

Quite gobsmacked by the Thorton omission. His kicking for goal has been awry but his link up play is fantastic. No one else in the side can take those leading marks up the wing on the rebound with the same consistency. So important to our team structure.
somebody must come out for the ins
play the best team according to strategy.Size and strength and speed the keys.
How Ellard is not even an emerg is more gobsmacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back