Opinion Rob Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, wasn't his house on Better Homes & Gardens? Or was that someone else?

To be clear, my friend didn't actually say it was a unit. All he said is that it was surprisingly small and that it screamed temporary accommodation. It certainly didn't fill me with confidence and I wasn't the least bit surprised when he walked.

Strange club we barrack for.
The Chairman couldn't make the hard and right decision and pull the trigger on Trigg.
Koch is out there selling his club to all and sundry and the only time we hear from our chairman is to dispute a claim of non cooperation. He then clams up and doesn't take the next step and argue the validity of Vlad's statement. How he inspires anyone at the club is beyond me.
Trigg and Harper both get 'holidays',cost us draft picks and we are stuck with more of the same for who knows how long.

While the only man who actually performed his job with proven results not empty words, drafting/ selecting us four NAB rising star nominees isn't with the club anymore.
Go figure!

We have no credibility and no authority. No weight behind anything we say anymore.

The cynical might say that is so ludicrous as to not be believable.

The same thought certainly crossed my mind.

Realistically though, if Chapman is telling the truth (and I suppose I have no real reason to doubt him) it's clear that the AFL's standard modus operandi is to offer a penalty far in excess of what is sensible. If they are always going to do that, then negotiating it down to half the size is nothing to be commended - clearly the AFL expect you're going to do that anyway.

Realistically though, if Chapman is telling the truth (and I suppose I have no real reason to doubt him) it's clear that the AFL's standard modus operandi is to offer a penalty far in excess of what is sensible. If they are always going to do that, then negotiating it down to half the size is nothing to be commended - clearly the AFL expect you're going to do that anyway.

It's like going to Mexico, Stabbie. You offer half of what they are asking for and negotiate from there.

I'd like to think they are telling the truth.

+ non-Victorian club loading or
- Victorian club discount!

Rumoured Melbourne getting a priority pick. Lets threaten the VFL with court action if this happens.
My gut feel is Roos has told the AFL he won't coach Melbourne unless they give him a priority pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not surprise me in the slightest. My name is Paul and I need a gift to coach that rabble.

Off course the rabble will get a priority pick. Wasn't Mark Evans charged by the AFL with sorting them out.
Not long after he came in we started hearing talk of a priority pick.
So the AFL sent in one of their own people to sort out a dysfunctional and down right joke of a club and it is Evans that will provide a recommendation regarding a priority pick.

I'm betting the VFL AFL will help out one of its mates again.

My gut feel is Roos has told the AFL he won't coach Melbourne unless they give him a priority pick.

Unbelievable really, A club that's financially struggling and hit with A $500K penalty from the AFL can somehow afford to pay Paul Roos between 1.5-2 mill a year.
This will be another case of the VFL AFL helping out one of its mates........again.

in those circumstances the party receiving the opening need not say a word. just stand up and walk out.

They have requested one. Whether or not they get one is another matter. Some suggest it's a Roos condition of taking up the coaching gig?

The AFL are apparently paying him $2M to take the job; they shouldn't be gifting him anything else, especially not something like a priority pick which actually compromises the competition.

Did anybody ever find out why Chapman left his banking role?

Odd to walk away from such a big dollar, high prestige job, given he's still quite young...

The AFL are apparently paying him $2M to take the job; they shouldn't be gifting him anything else, especially not something like a priority pick which actually compromises the competition.

Did anybody ever find out why Chapman left his banking role?

Odd to walk away from such a big dollar, high prestige job, given he's still quite young...

Because the figures didn't add up.

Given what his paypacket allegedly was, and a similar thing being told to me by someone in the industry, I'm inclined to agree.

A priority pick costs the AFL nothing. While Melbourne are down the bottom they are soaking up millions of AFL dollars. You can see why the AFL would be keen to give them one.

I think it compromises the competition.

Given what his paypacket allegedly was, and a similar thing being told to me by someone in the industry, I'm inclined to agree.

I think it compromises the competition.
There's no doubt that it does

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Rob Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back