Robbo's 2015 end of season Top 50, Opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts ahead of Wingard and Rioli! No list manager would pick Eddie ahead of those sublime talents.

Doesn't mean he didn't have a better season than them both though, as a small forward he did kick more goals than each of them.

Doesn't mean he didn't have a better season than them both though, as a small forward he did kick more goals than each of them.

Thomas was kicking goals just fine this year and got dropped, there's more to being a small forward than kicking goals. Wingard and Rioli are better than Betts.

Hard to argue he had a better all round year than Wingard.

Well what is your argument based on? Lets remember Robbo had only 2 places between them so he too rated them quite similar, I guess the extra 10 goals was enough to promote Betts slightly ahead.

Thomas was kicking goals just fine this year and got dropped, there's more to being a small forward than kicking goals. Wingard and Rioli are better than Betts.

No he wasn't, the two weeks prior to Thomas being dropped he had been goaless, and had only kicked 5 in the four weeks prior to that.

No he wasn't, the two weeks prior to Thomas being dropped he had been goaless, and had only kicked 5 in the four weeks prior to that.

1.6 goals per game is a decent year for a small forward, must have had some pretty good other games then. I thought he was dropped for not pressuring.

43 goals in one of the worst I50 counts in the comp and top 5 in contested marks.

Behind Kennedy, Walker, Riewoldt, Gunston, Cameron, Stringer.

Lynch I'd say ahead too, although not as clear.

8th best key forward is not top 50 worthy. Certainly not worth of criticism to leave such a player out anyway, lineball at best

1.6 goals per game is a decent year for a small forward, must have had some pretty good other games then. I thought he was dropped for not pressuring.

He probably was dropped for his lack of pressure but had he have been kicking goals I am sure It wouldn't have been highlighted as much.

Hard to argue he had a better all round year than Wingard.

Not really.

Betts was the best small forward in the comp this year. Wingard is a better player overall but on output this year alone, Betts deserves every bit of kudos he gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it all depends on how much weighting was given to the finals. Rioli clearly ahead of Betts.

A few issues with the list but its certainly better than the click bait Sheehan released each year.

Mate, as much as I love Cyril and as great as he was this year, go and have a look at Eddie's season.

Objectively, he was better than our bloke this year.

Initially thought this thread was about Robbo's end of season trip.

Now that would be thread worthy.

You want to read a thread about a grown man chasing footballers around the Birdcage offering wristies?

I'll pass thanks...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=2312&tid2=2&pid2=1547&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Rioli versus Betts, really good (the best really) goal poacher betts but when you get beaten in nearly every stat despite spending 14% more time on the ground, there are better all round small forwards. I think Wingard had a slightly better year than either of them as well.

The major flaw in your argument is that Betts kicked 63 golas to 42 from one less game. Now, whilst I think we can all agree that there are more intangibles to Rioli's all round output than just about any other footballer, this goal differential (and we are talking about small forwards here) is significant.

63 goals is an incredible year for a small forward.

The major flaw in your argument is that Betts kicked 63 golas to 42 from one less game. Now, whilst I think we can all agree that there are more intangibles to Rioli's all round output than just about any other footballer, this goal differential (and we are talking about small forwards here) is significant.

63 goals is an incredible year for a small forward.

Of course it is, I'm not saying it isn't. He's just not particularly known for offering anything else, seems a bit unfair for players like Breust (who also pressures much better and had the second most goal assists) to not be rated as one of the absolute best players in the AFL last year when he kicked 57 last year, when he also gets put into clearances in the midfield.

Last edited:
Mate, as much as I love Cyril and as great as he was this year, go and have a look at Eddie's season.

Objectively, he was better than our bloke this year.

True. But as I said in my post, if Slobbo was weighting Finals heavily then Rioli gets ahead. Betts did well in games against lesser teams but was schooled by Hawthorn twice. Rioli had a few quiet games, a few great games, and a phenomenal game in the GF and was an integral part of us winning.

Much like our Best and Fairest awarding double points for the Grand Final (plus they have the option of awarding bonus points when every voting coach agrees to it), then Rioli jumps a long way up the list.

One thing I had never seen was Betts talking before. He is a deadset legend. Such a humble, wonderful man. And when he talked about just being happy to be alongside Wingard and Rioli it was such a genuine, beautiful thing to say.

Carlton, how could you let him go for $50k a year or whatever piddly amount it was???

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo's 2015 end of season Top 50, Opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back