Rohan Bail

Remove this Banner Ad

McKenzie has competed manfully, but undoubtedly having Bail back would allow Jordie to go and win the ball a bit more.

I wouldn't overstate Rohan's absence though.

Plays like a senior player though - compared to the rest of our rubbish. Runs, tackles and wins his own ball. We need more players capable of the really hard running, Grimes would be another that would be lovely to have.

I think we've missed him a lot, and I was very pleased to see him only a week away. But I doubt he'll be able to slot straight back in.

Does anyone know what sort of fitness work he has been able to do while he has been out?

I'm looking forward to his return.
I'm eager for young players to stake a claim and establish themselves as Melbourne players.
Quicker we find out how good each young bloke will be the better.
Good luck Bail. hope he plays a few good games before season over.

Can't help but feel Bail/Evans/Blease/Tapscott are all competing for a similar spot, that half-forward part-crumb, part-I50 tackling merchant.

Bail has made it his own this year. His tackling has been first-rate (only Cross/Viney averaging more per game), he has found a way to use the tank that he came to the club renowned for and he's even chipping in with the odd goal or two. The mark he took to set up Watts' 2nd on the weekend was just the icing on the cake.

Another player who Roos seems to have found instant improvement from. And, as we're seeing with Pedo, there's no reason to think we've seen the best of him just yet.

Can't help but feel Bail/Evans/Blease/Tapscott are all competing for a similar spot, that half-forward part-crumb, part-I50 tackling merchant.

Bail has made it his own this year. His tackling has been first-rate (only Cross/Viney averaging more per game), he has found a way to use the tank that he came to the club renowned for and he's even chipping in with the odd goal or two. The mark he took to set up Watts' 2nd on the weekend was just the icing on the cake.

Another player who Roos seems to have found instant improvement from. And, as we're seeing with Pedo, there's no reason to think we've seen the best of him just yet.

He is earning his spot every week on his gut running, Him and Matt Jones have become our most valuable ball carriers despite being iffy with possession
You are right also he has been a tackling machine this year and is just another cog in the Paul Roos plan that is helping it fire

Until Blease or Tappy or these blokes can atleast match bail defensively they wont get a game

Roos isn't about flashy brilliance or potential he is about who can do a job, Bail is doing a job

And, as we're seeing with Pedo, there's no reason to think we've seen the best of him just yet.

There's something about that sentence that is just...seedy.

If I'm completely honest, when I'm at the game I tend not to notice him much, but when you look at replays and at stats you can see he is definitely playing a team role. What Watts said post-match was very interesting, something about players realising they don't have to be individually brilliant in order to win games of football.

So basically, this is what Roos asks of players like Bail: you don't need to set the world on fire every week, just do your part. Effort = reward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm completely honest, when I'm at the game I tend not to notice him much, but when you look at replays and at stats you can see he is definitely playing a team role. What Watts said post-match was very interesting, something about players realising they don't have to be individually brilliant in order to win games of football.

So basically, this is what Roos asks of players like Bail: you don't need to set the world on fire every week, just do your part. Effort = reward.
And for Bail, that effort is run your guts out, get to lots of contests, tackle hard and compete. He's succeeding at that.

Exactly. The thing is, if you're not as skilfully gifted as other players, it's a lot easier to do those things than to get a really vague direction like 'impact the game'. Now this is venturing into speculation territory, but guys like Bail )and others) seem to have been given a much more achieveable role by Roos relative to their skill level, as opposed to what Neeld may have been telling them.

With a player like Bail I cringe at the times he makes a bad decision or poor disposal. I have no problem admitting he still frustrates me at times. But then I have to remind myself of three things:

1 - his disposal is slowly improving overall.

2 - he has significantly improved on what he was previously. His run, work rate etc

and most importantly...

3 - Roos said himself we are training at 80%. The icing on the cake and advanced ball use will come once we've established the non-negotiables.

In light of this Bail is a positive sign of what's happening down at the club. There are more talented players no doubt but Roos is making inroads at every player level.

Had a feeling Bail could do well under Roos, probably our best two way runner. Tackling is a highlight this year but also gets himself inside forward 50 on occasions. Deceptively good over head as long as it's not a bomb on top of his head. If he can bring his kicking efficiency up a bit then I can see him being in our best 22 for a long time.

In light of this Bail is a positive sign of what's happening down at the club. There are more talented players no doubt but Roos is making inroads at every player level.
This is, hands down, my favourite part of Bail's improvement. He's not alone.

I'm honestly curious to know what Nicholson could do with the same opportunity. The guy is an endurance machine.

That said, I can't see him getting a game this year, and I can't see him getting another contract either, so I doubt we'll ever know.

(I'm enjoying seeing all the Matt Jones love on this site too - yeah he shanks it a bit, but boy does he run!).

I'm honestly curious to know what Nicholson could do with the same opportunity. The guy is an endurance machine.

That said, I can't see him getting a game this year, and I can't see him getting another contract either, so I doubt we'll ever know.

(I'm enjoying seeing all the Matt Jones love on this site too - yeah he shanks it a bit, but boy does he run!).

Atleast 5 other guys I hope put there hand up for selection before nicho

Judging by previous comments in going against the trend, while he has shown improvement.. I still believe that if he wants to hold his own in the AFL he needs to become a goal kicker. His tackling is great, but his disposal count and his kicking is lacking class (Just 13 touches on 54% efficiency).

Judging by previous comments in going against the trend, while he has shown improvement.. I still believe that if he wants to hold his own in the AFL he needs to become a goal kicker. His tackling is great, but his disposal count and his kicking is lacking class (Just 13 touches on 54% efficiency).
Roos is picking players that show intensity and have a tackling defensive side of their game, until someone that has better skills shows as much intensity as Bail then Bail isn't going to lose his spot. and of coarse Bail is going to have to work on his disposal which I'm sure he is.

Roos is picking players that show intensity and have a tackling defensive side of their game, until someone that has better skills shows as much intensity as Bail then Bail isn't going to lose his spot. and of coarse Bail is going to have to work on his disposal which I'm sure he is.

No doubt Bail holds better current value over the other players listed above (Tapscott, Blease, Nicho, Evans), all showing enough upside to be trialled through half forward, personally I can see Tapscott or Blease taking his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan Bail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back