Rolling Stones rumoured to be calling it quits

Remove this Banner Ad

If one the "The" bands of the early 2000's had bought out an album like A Bigger Bang, critics and fans would of wet themselves over it and hailed them as the saviours of rock n roll.

Stones have to deal with their own monumental legacy in that they have produced so many classic songs during the golden period, they are always rated against it.

The "The" bands of the 2000 's would kill for one song as good as any of the Stones' top 30.

I too love A Bigger Bang but it was shame the album bombed. Fans and critics had been banging on for years for a new album and they finally delivered a truly great modern record and nobody bought it. I'd love one more album before they check out but they probably can't see the point considering what happened with ABB.

Outsde the big four, my favourites are:
A Bigger Bang
Some Girls
Balck And Blue
Tattoo You

I would love to hear them forget about going for a modern rock and balladsblockbuster and put out a blues album, throw in a few jams, a few acoustic ones, some electric, would be tops. Can picture Keef sucking on a cigar and crafting a slow burning riff with Jagger on harmonica, Charlie and Ronnie fixing some drinks

Mick Jagger's 2001 solo album Goddess in the Doorway is underrated.

It had some great tracks on it with Jagger collaborating with the likes of Wyclef Jean, Lenny Kravitz, Bono and Pete Townshend.

The lead single off that album was one of the best things Jagger has done in the last 30 years, just a pity it slipped under the radar along with the album.

Mick Jagger's 2001 solo album Goddess in the Doorway is underrated.

It had some great tracks on it with Jagger collaborating with the likes of Wyclef Jean, Lenny Kravitz, Bono and Pete Townshend.

The lead single off that album was one of the best things Jagger has done in the last 30 years, just a pity it slipped under the radar along with the album.

Yes I remember that song, was decent. Visions in Paradise is another track I recall. There was a quote from Keith on this album too that I remember probably got more press than the actual album :)

Already covered in the 'Fave Stones Song' thread. Still, I like Doom and Gloom, some great guitar in there. A shame it's all played by Jagger. Hate the drum machine too, the album version on iTunes is a far superior mix.

The other new song 'One More Shot' is okay as well. I hated it on first listen but it grew. You can definetely tell D&G is a Jagger song, and OMS is a Keith song. OMS would have worked better with KR vocals and had they spent more than two days in the studio working on lyrics. Nice Ron Wood guitar break on OMS as well. Jagger vocals are in fine form, but too high in the mix on both songs.

Both songs are far better than the 4 new ones they put out on '40 Licks' in 2002. Whoever came up with the title 'GRRRR!' is just an idiot. Just holding out for a 2013 tour now. Will travel.

Didn't see a thread so I thought a bump was in order. Has anybody heard their latest single?

Classis Stones' sound. Probably goes a 30-60 seconds too long, but a good track anyway.

Is it sacrilege for me to say this sounds more like Jet than the Rolling Stones? I quite liked the songs they released with the reissue of Exile but this is trash.

The first thing I thought of when I first heard it was something ZZ Top would have put out in the 80s. Similar riffs and loud-as-**** drum machine.

The Exile reissue tracks were quality. Plundered, Pass the Wine, Sophia Loren, and even a drunken Keith take of Soul Survivor. :thumbsu:

Some Girls reissue had some great stuff on it as well. Keith's cover of We Had It All is just beautiful.

Rolling Stones and Aerosmith new material would have benefitted from using old school recording techniques rather than slick and monotomous rhythm tracks which are commonplace with the the commercial rock darlings of today. Bob Dylan's new stuff ain't slick and commercial and it is all the better for it

Giving This one a whirl for the first time.
Is so damn tight and groovy:thumbsu:

hehe look at keef

Blackblue.jpg

"Rehearsing guitar players, that's what that one was about" - Keef

I like that.
Bands are much to precious these days. If ya going to rehearse guitar players you might as well lay that shit down for an LP.

Ahh yes, Black and Blue. The reverse cover is an extension of the front, a great photo of the band.

The cover of Cherry Oh Baby is awful, but there's some pearlers on there. Memory Motel, Hot Stuff and Fool to Cry are great. Ronnie's groove on Hey Negrita is real funky, gotta lol at Jagger/Richards' refusal to share writing credits on Hey Negrita and Melody. Hand of Fate is a very nice typical Stones mid-tempo rocker with a nice solo from session player Wayne Perkins I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving This one a whirl for the first time.
Is so damn tight and groovy:thumbsu:

hehe look at keef

Blackblue.jpg

"Rehearsing guitar players, that's what that one was about" - Keef

I like that.
Bands are much to precious these days. If ya going to rehearse guitar players you might as well lay that shit down for an LP.
Simply bad-arse. These guys have plenty of flexibility.

Hey Negrita
Melody
Hot Stuff

I have this album number 5 on my list after the big 4.

I've always considered Some Girls pretty overrated. Apart from Miss You, title track, Beast of Burden, Before They Make Me Run, the rest doesn't really do it for me. Black and Blue is definetely better IMO.

Winter, beautiful track indeed. Mick Taylor really shines, his best performance outside Sticky Fingers (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Moonlight Mile) IMO. Plenty of gems on Goats Head Soup: Dancing With Mr D, Heartbreaker, Hide Your Love, Starf****r.

My favourite Taylor work:

The solo on Heartbreaker. So simple but so so good.

The solo on Dead Flowers. Again so simple but so so good.

All Down the Line slide work.

Mick Taylor was an amazing guitarist. Needs a statue somewhere.

My favourite Taylor work:

The solo on Heartbreaker. So simple but so so good.

The solo on Dead Flowers. Again so simple but so so good.

All Down the Line slide work.

Mick Taylor was an amazing guitarist. Needs a statue somewhere.

Good list. I'd also add:

- The incredible live version of Heartbreaker from 1973 where Taylor tears the studio version to pieces
- Stray Cat Blues, Love in Vain, Sympathy for the Devil from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
- Hide Your Love from Goat's Head Soup
- Satisfaction from the remastered Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
- Slide solo on Stop Breaking Down from Exile

Really, you just have to watch "Ladies and Gentleman" now on DVD to see how much he added. The solos just get better and better as it goes on. His work with John Mayall is great too, and he was just a kid then. The solo on I Started Walking from the Bare Wires album is blistering.

Don't forget Ventilator Blues, his only writing credit in the band. Brilliant slide riff and man, what a dirty, funky groove that is. Fits so perfectly on Exile.

I'm not a huge fan of Ya-Ya's. Give me Brussels Affair and LA Friday (no Taylor, but still) anyday. The bootleg series getting official releases at the moment is great. Even Leeds '82 is a rapid, cocaine-induced ripper.

Don't forget Ventilator Blues, his only writing credit in the band. Brilliant slide riff and man, what a dirty, funky groove that is. Fits so perfectly on Exile.

I'm not a huge fan of Ya-Ya's. Give me Brussels Affair and LA Friday (no Taylor, but still) anyday. The bootleg series getting official releases at the moment is great. Even Leeds '82 is a rapid, cocaine-induced ripper.

shattered was scattered hey, i remember seeing a few stones performanaces and they played fast, bette midler was a good pairing with mick too

He had one other writing credit - I'm Going Down off the Metamorphosis compilation from around 1975. Killer, killer riff, just amazed they put in a sax solo instead of a guitar solo. It still sounds almost finished. Shame.

He had one other writing credit - I'm Going Down off the Metamorphosis compilation from around 1975. Killer, killer riff, just amazed they put in a sax solo instead of a guitar solo. It still sounds almost finished. Shame.

I stand corrected, great pick-up. Never bothered with Metamorphosis myself, always assumed it was full of Brian Jones-era outtakes. Not a fan of most of the pre-Beggars Banquet stuff. Give me the '80-'05 era any day.

I don't think we can talk Taylor without singling out the outro solo in Sway as the greatest piece of music in history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rolling Stones rumoured to be calling it quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back