Ron Barassi Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
On "Midweek Tackle" tonight, they made mention of a story in tomorrow's HUN (Friday) where the AFL will announce the introduction of the 'Ron Barassi Medal' which will be given to the captain of the premiership team every year.

I like the idea of a medal being named in Barassi's honour but feel that is not the best use of one.

Thoughts ??

On "Midweek Tackle" tonight, they made mention of a story in tomorrow's HUN (Friday) where the AFL will announce the introduction of the 'Ron Barassi Medal' which will be given to the captain of the premiership team every year.

I like the idea of a medal being named in Barassi's honour but feel that is not the best use of one.

Thoughts ??
What if the winning team has co-captains?

Thoughts ??

Fairly Vic-centric but I guess that cats already out of the bag with the Norm Smith and Jock Mchale medals

He is such a giant of the game, even after passing away, and so I like this idea very much.

Seems rather arbitrary doesn't it?

We would already call Trent Cotchin a "Three time Premiership Captain". Does changing it to "Three time Ron Barassi medalist" really mean anything? Would prefer the great man be given something a little more meaningful.

Weren't they considering naming the Cup after him? That would've been far better.

What if the captain doesn't play through injury / suspension?

Captain of the Grand Final team, doesnt necessarily equate to club captain through the season.

It's weird because of the ten flags that Barassi was involved in he was only captain in two of them (1960 and 1964).

This is poorly thought out by the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t really like the change because it sort of gives the Dees ownership of the ultimate prize.

I heard some journos say it wasn’t enough and wanted the premiership cup to be the Ron Barassi cup.

So does the Premiership captain get a premiership medals as well or just the Ron Barrasi medal?
I don’t really like the change because it sort of gives the Dees ownership of the ultimate prize.

I heard some journos say it wasn’t enough and wanted the premiership cup to be the Ron Barassi cup.

Seems rather arbitrary doesn't it?

We would already call Trent Cotchin a "Three time Premiership Captain". Does changing it to "Three time Ron Barassi medalist" really mean anything? Would prefer the great man be given something a little more meaningful.

Weren't they considering naming the Cup after him? That would've been far better.
I'd rather they renamed the Premiership Cup after him too but from my understanding I don't think Ron wanted the Cup named after him when he was alive. The AFL would have explored the idea and consulted the family but the Barassi family probably asked the AFL to honor Ron's whish not to have the Cup named after him? I am projecting.. but if the AFL wanted to name the Cup after him they would have done it by now don't you think?

Last edited:

Dees, and Blues, and Sydney, oh and North .....

So does the Premiership captain get a premiership medals as well or just the Ron Barrasi medal?

I'd rather they renamed the Premiership Cup after him too but from my understanding I don't think Ron wanted the Cup named after him when he was alive. The AFL would have explored the idea and consulted the family but the Barassi family probably asked the AFL to honor Ron's whish not to have the Cup named after him? I am projecting.. but if the AFL wanted to name the Cup after him they would have done it by now don't you think?

Does anybody know if the Jock McHale medal for the premiership Coach looks different to a regular one?

I’m assuming it will be the same deal with the Barassi one

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it's necessary to add ANOTHER medallion presented when there's the Norm Smith, the coaches medal and the players, but the captain has to go to the dais to make a little thank you speech any way so you're only really adding a couple extra second to put a medal around him so it's just like meh, do it if you want.

Imagine the photo when the captain wins the Norm Smith as well, blokes gonna have three medals dangling off his neck.

Does anybody know if the Jock McHale trophy for the premiership Coach looks different to a regular one?

I’m assuming it will be the same deal with the Barassi one

I only just thought of that now...would the captain have two medals? Or just the Ronald for being the captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron Barassi Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back