Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Roos draft allowances a no-go zone, say Pies
Caroline Wilson | October 23, 2007

COLLINGWOOD has threatened to take the AFL to court should it proceed with a plan to grant the Kangaroos a Gold Coast zone as part of a relocation package.

With further negotiations between the AFL and the Kangaroos board scheduled over the coming days on the sensitive subject of a permanent move to Queensland by 2010, Magpies president Eddie McGuire said his club would challenge the prospective inducements on offer at the highest legal level.

"Collingwood would fight as hard as is humanly possible and take all actions as is required to fight any more compromises to the draft," McGuire told The Age. "This is not a marketing exercise. We are running a football competition.

"I have been at pains to say we would support all clubs, including North Melbourne — even though they are privately owned — to receive financial support from the AFL. Let them have 55 coaches, a new stadium and new gym equipment but once the ball is bounced let's make it an even competition.

"Finally we have an uncompromised draft. West Coast lose a star player and he goes to the team on the bottom of the ladder. That's the way it should be. To give North a free kick as big as their own zone taints the integrity of the competition in the same way as drug cheating."

While the Kangaroos board remains divided over relocating, club directors Stephen Head and Andrew Carter are continuing to pursue the exercise with the AFL executive, the commission determined to procure a commitment from the club by the end of 2007.

Problems presented by the Kangaroos' complicated share structure and the AFL's yet-to-be completed push to secure a profitable stadium deal for the club are just two major headaches stalling the proceedings, along with the sticking point over how long AFL support for the relocated club would last.

The AFL has suggested the Kangaroos — who would not be forced to lose the name North Melbourne in the short term — could stand on their own by 2014, a fact disputed by the club that has demanded its own zone in its first years and also priority draft picks, demands the AFL has not refused.

The independently funded Gemba report into the club's future said the Kangaroos could not survive in Melbourne with their current Telstra Dome agreement and without extra AFL support. The club is funded to the tune of $2.6 million a year with $1.2 million of that amount coming from the competition's underwriting of matches played at Carrara. Whether the AFL redevelops Carrara or helps build a new stadium at Palm Meadows, the financial deal would be based on the hugely profitable Skilled Stadium model enjoyed by Geelong.

McGuire is understood to have underlined his concerns to the commission, further complicating the relocation push the AFL sees at crucial to the development of the game in Queensland. It has not ruled out withdrawing funding from the Kangaroos should they refuse to relocate.

"I'm fighting this not just for Collingwood," said McGuire. "I'm fighting this for the integrity of the competition. Two or three years is a lifetime for a football club in terms of draft picks … There is no need to put icing on the cake just to get them there.

"They should not be given one or two premierships just for good measure. To throw this up having tested everyone's patience on this issue for the last couple of decades is wrong."

Under McGuire's stewardship, Collingwood led the charge against an attempt by the AFL in 2001 to grant Sydney and Brisbane extra draft choices from local zones. Essendon joined the Magpies in that fight, which saw the league ultimately abandon the push.

Since then, Brisbane has gradually lost its salary cap concessions while Sydney still has extra room of about $800,000, granted as a cost-of-living concession.

Interesting.
Eddie is 100% right - you can't effectively give away flags just to make sure a team is popular. Teams fight for decades to get a shot and still can't do it - you cannot blatantly compromise the comp in the name of national expansion. Collinwood won'tlet it happen. In a sick way, it is good that they have had success this year.

I hope this complicates maters further and makes the Gold Coast without these concessions much, much less attractive to the board.

Caro seems to have added a little to her Gemba assertions

The independently funded Gemba report into the club's future said the Kangaroos could not survive in Melbourne with their current Telstra Dome agreement and without extra AFL suppor

Obviously the Telstra Dome agreement has been idenified as a big reason for us being in the shit.

I notice she is also now alluding to the funding being cut as the Gold Coast payments, not the ASD.

Caro, you really sh*t me to tears. You have to ask yourself the question, if it was Richmond would you be chasing this like the rabid b*tch you are? I think not.

You are emotionally killing us a little every day.

p.s Carrara is a sh*thole. DO NOT DO THIS.

So out of this we will not get the zone for drafting and we will not get priority picks and we will be funded only until 2014, then hung out to dry. Sounds incredibly tempting.

Remind me to ask Burleigh Head and Carrara Carter to negotiate my next salary increase. :rolleyes:

$780 million over 5 years for TV rights and they are making a big deal of giving $1.2 million a year to us, who've been here since 1925!

Laughable really. What exactly does this competition lose by us continuing in our present form. Nobody seems to answer this, and anythign they do come up with refers equally to the Bulldogs and Melbourne.

Love you Eddie.

I remeber having a conversation with someone about exactly this sort of story popping up.

AFL wont get it all itäs own way on this, Collingwood wont be the only club spewing.

The GC looks less and less attractive every day.

Looks like Carrara Carter just got called out too - little too much moving in the scenes Andrew. Looks like the coterie women wont be handing you a sympathetic ear again any time soon either.

Eddie is spot on, when you run out on the field all should be even. I hope he holds his stance and even better, I hope other clubs echo his opinion. And funding to 2014, whoop de do. I would love to see a report that outlines exactly how the club will be self supportive in that amount of time considering Brisbanes current woes just after winning a flag. Also glad to see that Brisbane is going to seriously target the GC area for their membership drive this year, against the wishes of the AFL.

Here's hoping this kind of resistence is something the AFL and the board will take into account because they certainly don't seem to care about what we members think.

Further, I find it interesting that Caro now has further information about the Gemba report. If the Telstra Dome deal is killing us in Melbourne, perhaps we should look at Princes Park. Good surface, new stand, Ok facilities (certainly better than those at the GC). I would have thought the blues would be happy to get a match day tenant to help pay off their loans. And from memory always needed a far lower crowd number to break even than any other ground in the comp, meaning more money in Norths pocket. Yet it would still comfortably fit our members in plus some opposition.

Downfalls are the old ones of publc transport access and parking. (Carara has same problem)

Major benefits are that it is in Melbourne which means you would keep all of the members.

Taking all that into account, I don't see how the board can see the GC as an option. Looks to me as if they would lead us to certain death in the year 2015.

Anyway, I thought we were exhausting all possible options in Melbourne prior to making any decisions. Oh, that's just another one of those lines that we keep getting fed.

Current North Supporters. = Massive skeptics. (hard not too)

makes me sick that people amongst our board have approached the AFL even requesting this.
Worst board in the league bar none.

With further negotiations between the AFL and the Kangaroos board scheduled over the coming days on the sensitive subject of a permanent move to Queensland by 2010, Magpies president Eddie McGuire said his club would challenge the prospective inducements on offer at the highest legal level.

This is pathetic. Why doesn't the Club keep the members informed, other than through leaks from Caro.

"Collingwood would fight as hard as is humanly possible and take all actions as is required to fight any more compromises to the draft," McGuire told The Age. "This is not a marketing exercise. We are running a football competition.

At last the natives are starting to challenge the fact that the GC Kangaroos might get some advantages.

While the Kangaroos board remains divided over relocating, club directors Stephen Head and Andrew Carter are continuing to pursue the exercise with the AFL executive, the commission determined to procure a commitment from the club by the end of 2007.

Caro names some of her sources?

Problems presented by the Kangaroos' complicated share structure and the AFL's yet-to-be completed push to secure a profitable stadium deal for the club are just two major headaches stalling the proceedings, along with the sticking point over how long AFL support for the relocated club would last.

Telstra isn't small club friendly, however if we were allowed to move to play at Princes Park I suspect that the remaining Telstra based Clubs would have to pay more and therefore object.

The AFL has suggested the Kangaroos — who would not be forced to lose the name North Melbourne in the short term — could stand on their own by 2014, a fact disputed by the club that has demanded its own zone in its first years and also priority draft picks, demands the AFL has not refused.

How, show us the numbers that support this. Brisbane and Sydney still aren't secure after 20+ years. How would either survive if they were to experience a similar run to that of Richmond over the last 20 years. This is not a shot at Richmond but rather praise for their supporters. I don't see Brisbanes or Sydneys in the same league.

The independently funded Gemba report into the club's future said the Kangaroos could not survive in Melbourne with their current Telstra Dome agreement and without extra AFL support. The club is funded to the tune of $2.6 million a year with $1.2 million of that amount coming from the competition's underwriting of matches played at Carrara. Whether the AFL redevelops Carrara or helps build a new stadium at Palm Meadows, the financial deal would be based on the hugely profitable Skilled Stadium model enjoyed by Geelong.

When is this report going to be released to its members. The $1.2m is a gross amount, what about the resultant loss in reduced membership etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only good thing about CW's hatred of us is that she brings subjects like this out in the open. Our club has been chipping away at the GC relocation or colocation for more than two years and still tell the members nothing. At least this brings it into the public arena.
The AFL is throwing everything at the NMFC to move and the deal will be very sweet. But the AFL is sticking to the relocate model whereas the club wants a colocate model.
Its happening - just the final detail is up for grabs.
I hope the rumoured "trump card" to be played by Ron Joseph happens and is as big as some predict because I fear he is our last hope.

"I have been at pains to say we would support all clubs, including North Melbourne — even though they are privately owned — to receive financial support from the AFL.

To give North a free kick as big as their own zone taints the integrity of the competition in the same way as drug cheating."

Isn't it ironic that the Collingwood president can call us "North Melbourne" when our own board can't even utter the words. I would also like to know if Head & Carter are negotiating with the AFL with the boards consent. If not surely it is reason for dismissal from the board.

Thank you Eddie. I hope every other club jumps on board.

Our board is a disgrace. We haven't been told the findings of Gemba, but C Wilson has.

Our membership for 08 looks lower every day.

Obviously the Telstra Dome agreement has been idenified as a big reason for us being in the shit.

I notice she is also now alluding to the funding being cut as the Gold Coast payments, not the ASD.

Have you noticed that in the latest member survey the question about our satisfaction with the home ground is asking to use MCG in your answer. Is there a hint that the club is considering a move back to MCG?

[ "This is not a marketing exercise. We are running a football competition.
"I have been at pains to say we would support all clubs, including North Melbourne — even though they are privately owned — to receive financial support from the AFL. Let them have 55 coaches, a new stadium and new gym equipment but once the ball is bounced let's make it an even competition.

Let's not go overboard with the Eddie-love here. I find him comments oh-so ironic, that apparently we are running a football competition here, and not a marketing exercise.

If it wasn't for the likes of Collingwood, Essendon and the AFL rigging the draw, we may not be in quite the financial predicament we are now. I find it convenient that he trots out the "even football competition" when it suits him. OK Ed, how about we don't move to the GC, get no concessions, but you give us the rights to ANZAC Day and Queens B'day. No ****ing likely.

Don't be fooled, he doesn't care if we actually move to the Gold Coast, he just doesn't want our chances our dominating Collingwood on field to increase. He doesn't give a damn about us.

But I would kill for a president who staunchly defended the NMFC like this.

As infuriated as I am in reading the article it's a damn good thing if Eddie (and others) kick up a major stink... he may end up pulling a 'Leon Daphne' for us.
Leon Daphne????

We do not need anyone to do a Leon Daphne on us. He is an a*******.

I would not p*** on him if he was on fire unless I was p****** petrol. And then I would give it to him in bucket loads.

He did more damage to Fitzroy and the North Fitzroy merger than anyone else.

And if you are suggesting the damage to the North Fitzroy merger is the "good" thing he has done, utility, then if North does end up on the Gold Coast, I believe he will also be responsible for this as well.

Make no mistake in 1996 when Ron Casey was trying to pull off a North Fitzroy merger, it was because he was fearful that times like now would come to destroy the North Melbourne Football Club.

Old Fitzroy people hate Leon Daphne and and to a lesser extent Richmond with a passion. Under his leadership he ripped away from us four very important players in the early 1990's, being Gale, Broderick, Elliott and Dundas.

Broderick was the best of them and from then on at every game that either Fitzroy or North played Richmond, I abused him and called him a traitor - which he was.

So please, please don't see anything good about Leon Daphne.

Oh dear, my day has just got a whole lot worse.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos draft allowances a no-go zone, say Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back