Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Issue is that he's not competing for Bonars position but Goldys and Goldy is more consistant than Xerri..
I only bring that up in response to the comments on this site about each player. In that it seems that many here seem to understate the good things xerri does and overstate the good things Bonar does.

As per Clarko they felt xerri outperformed Goldy in the pre season, when his performance drops Goldy comes in

I can’t see this anywhere but in Jen’s intro to the press conference today she announced that we are renaming the ends at Docklands for our home games, and I’m delighted:
  • the northern end will be permanently named the Arden End
  • the other end will be named each year for a club legend, starting this year with Allen Aylett.

Means no North player from the 2022 list has put their hand up. Bloke who has had OP / broken finger and a + 30 year old retired Hawk have.
Okay. I get the Shiels part of it, but I’ll be stoked if Griff gets best on for us.
Obviously more so if we win.
5 year contract for a defender entering his prime. He’s one of us now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see this anywhere but in Jen’s intro to the press conference today she announced that we are renaming the ends at Docklands for our home games, and I’m delighted:
  • the other end will be named each year for a club legend, starting this year with Allen Aylett.
I like it, but slight adjustment would be having Arden end the Xerri end for this first game. Don’t feel like there’s enough pressure on him tbh.

I love this, I hope they put up signage at each end

My 2c on the team selection is that West Coast struggled mightily against Adelaide’s pressure last week and we lacked 4 quarters of pressure and intensity. The contentious Greenwood, Xerri, Turner, Shiels and Taylor selections are all strong effort players who will crack in for 4 quarters and provide a defensive edge to our side.

Bergman is probably the best kick picked and might release Sheezel to play mostly forward.

Hot take I Would’ve preferred Goldy to be the sub to come on fit in the ruck and run the two inexperienced west Coast rucks ragged. But WillPhil a good option for extra legs in the middle.

View attachment trim.D24D1CF3-5E6F-4651-97CD-917A96912088.MOV

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Been thinking, is there any chance the selection Committee have conceded that without McKay, there simply is no replacement so best to try something different as cannot fix the hole? Would be the only way to explain the smaller backline which is focusing on 1 key back and the rest run and carry and slingshot footy to kick 100+ which is why there is 7-8 forwards named. Sheezel also trained with the defenders this morning which suggests it is going to be quite a unique back 6….

So Goldy is not going to be part of the ruck division for the next 5 plus years so Xerri is preferred - fair enough. But neither will Shiel, Ziebell and Greenwood be part of the side either (in the coming years) but they're playing. All for playing guys on merit so if any of those veterans play poorly, expecting to see Clarko drop them.

Been thinking, is there any chance the selection Committee have conceded that without McKay, there simply is no replacement so best to try something different as cannot fix the hole? Would be the only way to explain the smaller backline which is focusing on 1 key back and the rest run and carry and slingshot footy to kick 100+ which is why there is 7-8 forwards named. Sheezel also trained with the defenders this morning which suggests it is going to be quite a unique back 6….
Think they just don’t rate Dawson that highly
Corr will be back next week so bonar can play smaller as the third tall next week

WC are not the Dogs, Allen is 196 and Darling 191 plus a resting ruck if that is still a thing
Goater is 191 Bones similar both with a big leap

their backline is actually not very agile with Barass and McGovern 197 and we carry on about JZ, Hurn is 35, gonna match the temperature

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back