Preview Round 1 2023 - v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 18 March, 7:25pm @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, wait for the Dogs to kick five in a row from Bont, Liberatore and Macrae winning clearances against Harmes, Sparrow and Neal-Bullen before the experiment is ended forever.

Anyway, wait for the Dogs to kick five in a row from Bont, Liberatore and Macrae winning clearances against Harmes, Sparrow and Neal-Bullen before the experiment is ended forever.
If that what it takes so be it. Crazy goody needs to stop tinkering with the mids and concentrate on making the forward line function.

I like it too, will get a good idea of where we stand.
Potentially. I'll forget it at the time but plenty of premiership teams start slow. As long as we don't fade in second halves again and we look at the same level as the other teams. The W/L doesn't matter. Cats were 3-2 after 5 last year.

If we're in all 3 games, and don't drop off and be scoreless in second halves against these teams then it's on. If we go 2-1 but fade late in games again you can probably write the season off, can't fix fitness during the season I don't reckon

We have a rough as guts first 3 weeks. Could easily be a better team than last year and still only be 1-2 after the first 3. I don't mind it after our bullshit easy start to last year
The main thing for me is seeing if our defence is back to it's best, teams getting a run on was a real concern from last year, I think the corresponding game last year Doggies kicked 6 in a row or something and the other game was a shoot out. The first three are tough, if we lose so be it but if we keep the opposition to a low score in the process it's a positive. The next 4 we should be pencilling in, West Coast, bombers, Richmond and North. 5-2 is a decent start even 4-3 we're infront.

Potentially. I'll forget it at the time but plenty of premiership teams start slow. As long as we don't fade in second halves again and we look at the same level as the other teams. The W/L doesn't matter. Cats were 3-2 after 5 last year.

If we're in all 3 games, and don't drop off and be scoreless in second halves against these teams then it's on. If we go 2-1 but fade late in games again you can probably write the season off, can't fix fitness during the season I don't reckon
Richmond in 2019 went 7-6 at the by and ended up 16-6 by the end of the home and away season.

Richmond in 2019 went 7-6 at the by and ended up 16-6 by the end of the home and away season.
Yeah Lloydy was running with some stat about why we wouldn't win the flag last year and it was basically that the first half of the season is irrelevant. Premiers win almost all their games in the last 10 games of the season. We just gotta be in touching distance of the 4 in the second half of the season. Hard thing is when ya 7-6 you could also just be a shit average team

Yeah Lloydy was running with some stat about why we wouldn't win the flag last year and it was basically that the first half of the season is irrelevant. Premiers win almost all their games in the last 10 games of the season. We just gotta be in touching distance of the 4 in the second half of the season. Hard thing is when ya 7-6 you could also just be a s**t average team
I'm thinking Richmond had a few injuries earlier in the season and were just trying to get to the bye, they also knew the capabilities of the team, they dominated 2018 and had a bad night, we weren't anywhere near that dominant last year, I can cop few losses but the team can't afford to be 50/50 would need to be more like 9-4 by the bye.

If that what it takes so be it. Crazy goody needs to stop tinkering with the mids and concentrate on making the forward line function.
The forwardline will only be functional if we can move the ball properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More rotation through the middle is a good thing IMO. Nothing crazy, of course, but Oliver and Petracca will be better users with more time ala at HBF or HFF for 10 mins a half. Just like how Brayshaw looked a butcher his whole career, used it very well at HBF, and went back to being a butcher in the middle.

Thats what I mean though, it isn't necessarily about the W/L but more how we're playing. Its like last year when we played really well against the Pies but were a bit too wasteful and lost, then we played terribly against Carlton and stole the win.

I'll wait until teams are selected before I predict who will smash who.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back