AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

We are four--count 'em, four!--weeks away from Round 1 melting your FACE. Post your thoughts about any of the games below.

Friday, 30 August

Sydney
(finished 6th in 2023) v Collingwood (11th)
7.15pm AEST, North Sydney Oval

West Coast (17th) v Richmond (10th)
9.15pm AEST, Mineral Resources Park

Saturday, 31 August

GWS Giants
(16th) v W. Bulldogs (18th)
1.05pm AEST, Manuka Oval

Essendon (8th) v Fremantle (13th)
3.05pm AEST, Windy Hill

Gold Coast (7th) v St Kilda (9th)
5.05pm AEST, People First Stadium

Geelong (4th) v Melbourne (5th)
7.15pm AEST, GMHBA Stadium

Port Adelaide (15th) v Adelaide (3rd)
7.45pm AEST, Alberton Oval

Sunday, 1 September

Hawthorn
(14th) v Carlton (12th)
1.05pm AEST, Kinetic Stadium

Brisbane (1st) v North Melb. (2nd)
3.05pm AEST, Brighton Homes Arena

Last edited:
Eagles-Tigers and Giants-Dogs have the "new coach" intrigue factor. If either Pearce or Hyett salute in their first games, it'll be a big shock. Hawks and Blues could be pretty close, but I think the Carlton talls should prove the difference on the day. Other end of the scale, Crows should dish out a flogging unless there's more to the Port youth than what has already been spoken about across various outlets (which I think is impossible).

Obviously the two must-watchiest games of the round are the Grand Final Rematch and the Second Semi-Final Rematch. This time Brisbane and Geelong play hosts... but at their actual home grounds. 4 points against top teams is nice but not crucial early in the piece... less so than not getting smashed, which is what happened to the Lions when embarking on their first flag defence in R1 2022 (but that match was in SA).

Who has the most riding on the opening weekend? I'll nominate three matches. The Swans, Bombers and Suns are all finalists from last year playing at home against non-finalists who were probably better than their ladder positions suggest. Pies are no lightweights when fully fit, but are rarely close to that. The young Saints are yet to beat a decent team interstate (walloped West Coast in 2021). And I think Freo are in danger of having their worst season, despite bringing in some notable players. So a win either way in each case could have a huge effect on several teams' trajectories and ultimately shaping the final 8.

Teen Wolf's Early Tips
Swans by 3
Tigers by 24
Giants by 12
Bombers by 24
Suns by 12
Dees by 12
Crows by 50
Blues by 3
Lions by 3

Last edited:
Eagles-Tigers and Giants-Dogs have the "new coach" intrigue factor. If either Pearce or Hyett salute in their first games, it'll be a big shock. Hawks and Blues could be pretty close, but I think the Carlton talls should prove the difference on the day. Other end of the scale, Crows should dish out a flogging unless there's more to the Port youth than what has already been spoken about across various outlets (which I think is impossible).

Obviously the two must-watchiest games of the round are the Grand Final Rematch and the Second Semi-Final Rematch. This time Brisbane and Geelong play hosts... but at their actual home grounds. 4 points against top teams is nice but not crucial early in the piece... less so than not getting smashed, which is what happened to the Lions when embarking on their first flag defence in R1 2022 (but that match was in SA).

Who has the most riding on the opening weekend? I'll nominate three matches. The Swans, Bombers and Suns are all finalists from last year playing at home against non-finalists who were probably better than their ladder positions suggest. Pies are no lightweights when fully fit, but are rarely close to that. The young Saints are yet to beat a decent team interstate (walloped West Coast in 2021). And I think Freo are in danger of having their worst season, despite bringing in some notable players. So a win either way in each case could have a huge effect on several teams' trajectories and ultimately shaping the final 8.

Teen Wolf's Early Tips
Swans by 3
Tigers by 24
Giants by 12
Bombers by 24
Suns by 12
Dees by 12
Crows by 50
Blues by 3
Lions by 3
Are there any updates on who is injured at each club?

Are there any updates on who is injured at each club?
Should get a pretty clear idea this weekend with the match simulations taking place.

Get a load of these head-to-head records.

Syd-Coll: 1-1
This will be their first encounter under lights. The Swans become the fourth club to take on the Pies in a season opener. I've heard it whinged the AFL are supposedly protecting Chloe Molloy from a return to Victoria Park, as if it's some sort of imposing fortress. In reality, Collingwood's home attendance has rarely eclipsed AFLW minnow status, and this match is likely to be the biggest standalone crowd Molloy has played in front of since 2018.
Last time they met...
Season: 2023Round: 9Day/Time: Sun, 1:05 pmVenue: Henson ParkCrowd: 5,722
Sydney3.1.196.3.396.3.399.4.58
Collingwood3.2.203.3.215.7.375.9.39
Umpire votes3 Laura Gardiner (Syd)2 Sabrina Frederick (Coll)1 Chloe Molloy (Syd)

WCE-Rich: 0-3
Class of 2020 entrants are booked in for their 3rd straight match in WA. Only their initial meeting--2021 at a wet Punt Road Oval--proved to be a genuine contest with the Eagles rallying in the 2nd half but ultimately falling short by 8 points.
Last time they met...
Season: 2022 (S7)Round: 7Day/Time: Fri, 5:10 pmVenue: Lathlain ParkCrowd: 1,259
West Coast1.2.81.4.102.4.163.6.24
Richmond2.2.144.5.294.5.296.7.43
Umpire votes3 Monique Conti (Rich)2 Eilish Sheerin (Rich)1 Ella Roberts (WCE)

GWS-WB: 2-3
These two foundation teams reunite at Manuka Oval for the first time since the Bulldogs' premiership year, when the Giants pulled off an 18-point upset.
Last time they met...
Season: 2022 (S7)Round: 1Day/Time: Sun, 12:10 pmVenue: Princes ParkCrowd: 1,890
W. Bulldogs1.0.63.2.205.4.346.5.41
GWS Giants1.1.72.1.133.4.225.4.34
Umpire votes3 Alyce Parker (GWS)2 Ellie Blackburn (WB)1 Celine Moody (WB)

Ess-Frem: 1-0
Last time they met...
Season: 2023Round: 4Day/Time: Sun, 3.05 pmVenue: Windy HillCrowd: 2,822
Essendon2.0.122.1.135.5.357.8.50
Fremantle1.2.82.5.173.5.234.6.30
Umpire votes3 Bonnie Toogood (Ess)2 Jacqui Vogt (Ess)1 Kiara Bowers (Frem)

GC-StK: 1-1
Another set of 2020 inductees, these two clubs are not only tied H2H, they both also sit on a total of 16 wins from their 5 seasons in the competition (Suns have played 47 matches, Saints 45).
Last time they met...
Season: 2022 (S7)Round: 4Day/Time: Sat, 12.05 pmVenue: Harrup ParkCrowd: 1,117
Gold Coast1.5.112.8.205.10.405.12.42
St Kilda1.0.61.2.81.2.84.4.28
Umpire votes3 Charlie Rowbottom (GC)2 Kalinda Howarth (GC)1 Hannah Priest (StK)

Geel-Melb: 1-1
Geelong avoided the Dees throughout their first 48 AFLW matches. Now the Cats will come up against Melbourne for the 3rd time from 10 starts.
Last time they met...
Season: 2023Round: Semi finalDay/Time: Sun, 3.05 pmVenue: Princes ParkCrowd: 5,057
Melbourne0.2.21.4.101.7.136.9.45
Geelong2.4.164.5.296.7.437.8.50
Most disposals29 Nina Morrison (Geel)26 Eliza West (Melb)21 Amy McDonald (Geel)

PA-Adel: 0-2
Port get their first true home game against the cross-town rivals. The Power have kicked 1 goal in 7 quarters of Showdown football. Hatchard and Marinoff have been in the votes for each of the first two editions, but both are yet to take home a BOG medal.
Last time they met...
Season: 2023Round: 1Day/Time: Sat, 2.35 pmVenue: Norwood OvalCrowd: 8,722
Adelaide2.3.152.6.185.9.398.10.58
Port Adelaide0.0.03.3.213.4.224.4.28
Umpire votes3 Niamh Kelly (Adel)2 Anne Hatchard (Adel)1 Ebony Marinoff (Adel)

Haw-Carl: 0-0
This will be the first AFLW match between the two clubs. The Hawks finished just a place or two behind the Blues on the ladder for their first couple of seasons in the competition.

BL-NM: 5-0
After the first two encounters, where Brisbane never really looked like losing, these matches have famously see-sawed. North paid the price for wayward goal-kicking at Arden Street in 2022, and then led at every change in the 2 meetings last year before being overrun in Q4. This will be the first time the Lions and Kangas face off in Queensland since bout number one (15-point margin at the Gabba in 2021).
Last time they met...
Season: 2023Round: Grand finalDay/Time: Sun, 2.30 pmVenue: Princes ParkCrowd: 12,616
North Melb.1.0.62.2.144.3.274.3.27
Brisbane0.0.02.1.133.2.207.2.44
BOG votes15 Breanna Koenen (BL)9 Jasmine Garner (NM)5 Belle Dawes (BL)1 Nat Grider (BL)

Bonus stat! There are currently only three instances of a 6-match H2H gap...
BL-GWS: 6-0
Frem-WCE: 6-0
NM-Geel: 6-0

While we know official practice matches are going to be livestreamed via club websites again, only a handful of clubs so far (from what I can tell) have confirmed streams for this weekend's match sim fixtures.

In what is perhaps another shape-of-things-to-come / turning-over-a-new-leaf gesture, West Coast (historically the worst club to promote anything AFLW related) are one of the first to seemingly be on top of things!

Friday

12pm AEST

BL 10.9.69 defeated GC 7.3.45

5pm AEST
Carl 6.5.41 defeated Melb 5.10.40

5pm AWST
Frem 10.11.71 defeated WCE 2.3.15
Livestream

Saturday

12pm AEST

NM 10.9.69 defeated StK 3.7.25

1pm AEST
Rich 10.5.65 defeated WB 4.6.30

1pm AEST
Haw 9.1.55 defeated Ess 6.4.40

2.30pm AEST
Syd 12.12.84 defeated GWS 3.1.19

2.30pm AEST
Geel 4.5.29 defeated Coll 3.6.24

Sunday

1pm ACST

Adel 8.10.58 defeated PA 5.4.34

Last edited:
Yeah Hawthorn bailed on their livestream promise. Meanwhile the WCE-Frem streams are just giving "Standby for Live Event" screens... working well!

Anyway, scores from today:

West Coast probably would've lost by 150 if they were playing a good team (or even just Fremantle including Bowers). The big question is when Bella Lewis will kick the football vaguely to the advantage of a teammate... I think it might happen by Round 7 with a bit of luck.

And this tweet sums up the obliviousness of Sarah Black, wherein she brags about jumping to conclusions:

West Coast probably would've lost by 150 if they were playing a good team (or even just Fremantle including Bowers). The big question is when Bella Lewis will kick the football vaguely to the advantage of a teammate... I think it might happen by Round 7 with a bit of luck.

And this tweet sums up the obliviousness of Sarah Black, wherein she brags about jumping to conclusions:

I think Sarah Banal is off to a flying start…may have set the bar a little high so early perhaps.

Richmond had a good win at punt road today.

All the scores from today and yesterday, with just the Crows-Port pre-praccie to come tomorrow:
BL 10.9.69 defeated GC 7.3.45
Carl 6.5.41 defeated Melb 5.10.40
Frem 10.11.71 defeated WCE 2.3.15
NM 10.9.69 defeated StK 3.7.25
Rich 10.5.65 defeated WB 4.6.30
Haw 9.1.55 defeated Ess 6.4.40
Syd 12.12.84 defeated GWS 3.1.19
Geel 4.5.29 defeated Coll 3.6.24

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm...

For the record, the power rankings go like this:

1. Darcy Parish
2. Daisy D'Arcy
3. Darcy Cameron
4. Darcy Moloney
5. Darcy Wilmot
6. Sam Darcy
7. Darcy Tucker
8. Darcy Moore
9. Darcy Vescio
10. Sean Darcy
11. Darcy Wilson
12. Darcy Fogarty
13. Darcy Guttridge
14. Darcy Byrne-Jones
15. Sarah D'Arcy
and then the rest.

West Coast getting a notable push from the media (4 "aren't they great" features on the AFL website just this month), trying to help build up the co-opener I guess.

It's going to be interesting to see the reaction if they are slow to improve in 2024, or worse. The players have had a free pass for the last 3 seasons on account of industry-wide hatred for the inept coach. Doubt they'll have that luxury this year.

West Coast getting a notable push from the media (4 "aren't they great" features on the AFL website just this month), trying to help build up the co-opener I guess.

It's going to be interesting to see the reaction if they are slow to improve in 2024, or worse. The players have had a free pass for the last 3 seasons on account of industry-wide hatred for the inept coach. Doubt they'll have that luxury this year.
I can't see how they can improve. Brought in 1 good player (Drennan) lost multiple good players and some depth players as well. Got smashed in the match sim and smashed in the practice match after quarter time. Looked awful as well. Would be fighting for the spoon surely if WB hadn't lost so many players. For me they'll take a step backwards.

I can't see how they can improve. Brought in 1 good player (Drennan) lost multiple good players and some depth players as well. Got smashed in the match sim and smashed in the practice match after quarter time. Looked awful as well. Would be fighting for the spoon surely if WB hadn't lost so many players. For me they'll take a step backwards.
Other than McCarthy, whose departure is absorbed by Drennan, they didn't lose anybody who was making a difference last season.

If 3 of your 4 best players are under 22yo, there should be natural improvement, even before considering the change of coach who was brought in to better capitalise on them (along with turning around once-highly touted players in that same age bracket, like Franklin and Roux).

That aside, they could plausibly win the spoon and still improve if they don't get blown out by 50+ against mid-road teams (which happened every season under Prior).

Other than McCarthy, whose departure is absorbed by Drennan, they didn't lose anybody who was making a difference last season.

If 3 of your 4 best players are under 22yo, there should be natural improvement, even before considering the change of coach who was brought in to better capitalise on them (along with turning around once-highly touted players in that same age bracket, like Franklin and Roux).

That aside, they could plausibly win the spoon and still improve if they don't get blown out by 50+ against mid-road teams (which happened every season under Prior).
Hooker finished above McCarthy in the B+F and Davison was 10th. Hartill was a regular and Bartlett, Schmidt and Sedunary was bit players. To replace these players your looking at draftees or depth players worse than the bit players they are replacing.

I think given a new coach and new players they would be putting some effort in math sim and the practise match. Poleaxed by Freo and very poor against a Saints team with 3 in game injuries. Their skills and ball movement looked terrible.

A clear 2nd last placing for mine.

Hooker finished above McCarthy in the B+F and Davison was 10th. Hartill was a regular and Bartlett, Schmidt and Sedunary was bit players. To replace these players your looking at draftees or depth players worse than the bit players they are replacing.

I think given a new coach and new players they would be putting some effort in math sim and the practise match. Poleaxed by Freo and very poor against a Saints team with 3 in game injuries. Their skills and ball movement looked terrible.

Yeah, wouldn't put it past the media to take the soft option of blaming another poor year on a bunch of 5-touch players who are no longer at the club.

But if Jess Hosking can't come in and be an adequate replacement for an increasingly fried Hooker (who couldn't move in the 2nd half of last season)... I don't know how a lot of people will square that circle, given the shocked reactions to her delisting last season.

Hopefully WC's massive supporter base afford some benefit of doubt for a young team trying to make a fresh start, get behind AFLW for a change and turn up next week, rather than kneejerking to pre-season form.

Davison was 10th not because she was good, but because everyone else was poor. At best, she was starting to show glimpses of why she was highly rated. Bartlett and Schmidt were 5 possession a game players, and Sedunary maybe 7 (and thats averages, half the time they were worse). Hartill was a regular, but again, never had a big impact as a player. Mostly rated on athleticism and potential.

Drennan is a like for like replacement for McCarthy, Hooker is a loss, but her output has been declining.

I think the ins show more promise overall than the outs. Cleaver should be good, and didn't play the scratchies. Rentsch shows promise. While I think Hosking is a bit meh, she is an upgrade on Sedunary imop.

Roxy Roux is a bit of a gamble, very possibly remains a 6 spectacular possessions a game type player, but could be fantastic if her talent is unlocked (Bartlett could have too, but it never was).

For me, the smoky of all of them is Harken. A bit agricultural, and not silky skilled, but a prodigious workrate, incredibly hard at it, very tough, and above all, a proven history of amassing huge numbers, love for the Eagles, and a passion to be an AFLW footballer. The eagles imop have erred in concentrating on players that at a young age showed good skills, and played really good looking 12 - 15 possession games at WAFLW level, then they come to AFLW level, and its suddenly 8 - 10 possesions a game, and they have no impact. Eagles lack enough coalface getting first hands on the ball players, and thats what Harkin is.

However, with all that said, Pearce has had 1 preseason, with a team with a lot of new players. Harkin has only just arrived. Even if Daisy lives up to her promise as a coach, I think there is a limit to how much she can change things. Mens comp, we see teams blow most of the first month, month and a half, and still make finals, in AFLW, blow the first month and your toast, so I dont think they make finals. I also think that while I expect them to be a better team, they will not be alone in that, and may not bridge the gap all that much first Daisy year. 12th to 16th for me.

Eagles best hope of real improvement especially first month is probably due to the fact a lot of their better players are still really young, and have lots of improvement in them.

30+ degrees for the games in Queensland, and Sydney will still be mid-20s for the first siren on Friday night.

Nothing special about the conditions elsewhere, but not too bad either.

30+ degrees for the games in Queensland, and Sydney will still be mid-20s for the first siren on Friday night.

Nothing special about the conditions elsewhere, but not too bad either.
Nearly always hotter in Ipswich compared to Brisbane as well.

Teen Wolf's Early Tips
Swans by 3
Tigers by 24
Giants by 12
Bombers by 24
Suns by 12
Dees by 12
Crows by 50
Blues by 3
Lions by 3
A lot has happened since your early tips. Looks like Hawks, Freo, Tigers might be better than expected and Pies, Eagles and Dees worse than expected?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back